Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Pistols

Powder Charge for Pistol

(1/3) > >>

Tin Type:
I have a new .54 cal flinter pistol coming soon.  It will be rifled.   I am planning on using PRB of .530... Estimates on powder charge... please...   Thank You.... Oh, and Puffer, great portrait of you as you Avatar...

Voyageur:
8)

Bigsmoke:
Good advice, Doc.  Except, I would not impose an upper limit on it.  Instead, increase until your group tightens up and then starts to open up again.  If that takes 26 grains or 43, that is what the pistol wants to shoot with.  Also, it has to be comfortable to use as well.  If it groups like a house afire but it takes 45 grains to do it, and your arm and wrist and hand feel like you were beat with a sledge hammer, that might not be the load you want to use.

mark davidson:
Recoil? I don't mean to hijack the thread here but here is a question. Just how bad can recoil be with under 50 grains of powder? My .54 rifle with 100 grains kicks like a little .410 or something and is more push than kick anyway. I am considering a .62 pistol and I wonder what recoil it might be compared to. I have shot lots of big bore handgun rounds over the years in centerfire ranging from puny .44magnum to .45 colt to .444 marlin to .45-70govt.  .454 Casull kicks worse than anything I ever shot. MLers in general are very mild to me. I never shot a single shot MLer pistol so I have to ask you all.  What would the above mentioned .54 cal. pistol with about 40gr. recoil like or be similar to?

Three Hawks:
The recoil of a .54 pistol can be substantial.  If one considers the ball weighs 224 grains, add to that the powder at 50 for a total of 274, both exiting the muzzle at what, 850-900 fps?  This from a two and a half (maybe) pound pistol with a difficult to control grip shape.

Recoil can indeed be a problem.   I've got only moderate arthritis and I will testify in court that shooting my .50 Traditions Kentucky pistol can get difficult and painful in short order.  

Three Hawks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version