Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Warped stock?  (Read 1000 times)

Offline CoSnipe

• TMA Forum Member
Warped stock?
« on: July 10, 2014, 02:35:29 PM »
I have a question about a stock I received with a kit
That is warped about the last 8" of the fore stock. The barrel doesn't line up enough
To begin inlay. It appears as if it warped after initial cutting. Is this somewhat
Common or is it irregular? I've already sent it back for a replacent.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline doggoner

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member # 687
  • TMA Member: Membership Expiration; 9/2021
Re: Warped stock?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 07:44:18 PM »
Cosnipe

Contact the kit supplier and demand they replace the stock. Most all the dealers will gladly stand behind their products.

doggoner
"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," --Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

Offline Detached

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 08:18:35 PM »
Looks like he already did send it back, which is what makes this post confusing.

OP, not sure what help you need, seems like you took care of it already?
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Offline CoSnipe

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 09:19:59 PM »
Yes I did already send it back. Here's the thing. I received an email
From these people and it makes reference that this is normal and
That I should refer to a professional about it. That they all have some degree of twist and even antiques can have warp.  They of coarse offered to
Recieve it back and replace it. But I just wanted to know how often this happens and if it was indeed normal. I tried all kinds of net searching about it before  deciding to return it. I was pissed when I saw it. The fact that they didn't take just a few more seconds to check it over before shipping it. And this damn email doesn't help it any. I have and will be very polite about it but I thought this was a bit unprofessional for a reputable company.

So from my searching and the fact that really no one here has had this happen normally/ regularly. I made the right decision by sending it back and not wasting more time talking to a professional builder. It shouldn't have happend in the first place.

Offline Detached

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 07:44:46 AM »
Hopefully a gun builder will show up and respond. It's been rather dead around here as of late, but eventually someone with the correct knowledge will respond. From a woodworker's standpoint, that stock could be straightened using moisture, clamps, and some time, but you shouldn't have to deal with it.

In the meantime, I'd like to know which company this is. It appears to be one of the higher dollar 'kits'.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Offline CoSnipe

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 08:01:04 PM »
Quote from: Detached
Hopefully a gun builder will show up and respond. It's been rather dead around here as of late, but eventually someone with the correct knowledge will respond. From a woodworker's standpoint, that stock could be straightened using moisture, clamps, and some time, but you shouldn't have to deal with it.

In the meantime, I'd like to know which company this is. It appears to be one of the higher dollar 'kits'.

I'm not really much of a wood worker,but the way I understood it, the pre carves were a good way to start on a build. I understand that I could straighten the stock but hell that's just another step that added to the process. If all this gets resolved well,I'm thinking after reading and researching that I might start with a block on the next build.

The company has been pretty decent about it, and has shipped another stock since receiving mine. The email I got came off somewhat "matter of fact"-ly and "so what- ish.
  Being that I'm not a pro and I don't build these all the time,doesn't make me less deserving of a stock that is correct. I don't think someone of name in this industry would have recieved that stock.

My experience with builds has been 2 Hawkins 50 cal rifles and they were of the cva variety about 20 years ago. I'll post a picture and a conclusion to this when I receive it.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 06:34:28 AM »
Im sorry , I just seen this post  and I have to get out the door , so ill write more tonight . But let me say
its not uncommon . Ill go into more later

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 05:50:20 PM »
Ok so sorry I had to post a run but I was late getting out the door for work .

Again its not uncommon for pre-carves to come warped .. It happens in the milling process  where you are removing wood rather quickly , thus inducing stresses to the wood . It can also happen after the stock is made  and shipped . IE the wood  draws moisture  to an average of the area its in .
 This is why manufactures send them with a  plank taped to the barrel channel . Once you take the  plank off , its best to not store the stock without the barrel being in the barrel channel  for if you don’t , the stock very likely will warp a little to a lot .
   One would also think that building from a plank would  correct this issue . Well it doesn’t .  
 You can end up with the same warp  if you don’t work to make sure it doesn’t  happen ..

For the most part a warp like the one in your photo’s isn’t any real issue . Just pull it over and fit the barrel to the channel .
 When it is an issue  is when a person is building a very small light framed rifle  using a small , very light swamped barrel . In which case , such a warp can pull the barrel over . However this should only happen initially as by the time  the forestock is thinned and shaped down . To what is proper , the forearm will be so weak that you can easily bend it  just by pushing or pulling on it with a finger . It simply would nto have the resistance to pull the barrel

Offline CoSnipe

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 07:33:36 PM »
Ok this is good info. I couldn't find reference to this issue. Or should I say,maybe two references ,wording many different ways. Ultimately the issue was resolved by the return and exchange of the stock. It's good to hear from a seasoned builder that is a known issue,thank you. At least now I feel better knowing this won't hinder any future build of mine. This particular rifle is a rice swamped .45  and I know the barrel didn't want to fit into that channel without warping it. My experience in flintlock building is limited but it's not my first rodeo. Thanks again for your reply,can't wait to get this ball rolling in the right direction.

Offline garrettep3

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 03:12:03 PM »
Not really an issue.
The barrel will hold the stock straight, especially when the stock is thinned down to its final form.

Offline sse

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 05:00:18 PM »
Good luck with the build, CoSnipe... :bl th up
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 05:25:22 PM »
I agree with Captchee; it's not all that unusual to find a warped stock, in the barrel channel area. Typically caused by the drying of the wood that was not allowed to season long enough. Mass producers always kiln dry their blanks which dry's the blank but does nothing to relieve stress in the fibers. That's where the warpage comes from. I almost never start a build with a precarve that is less than 6-8 months in my possession. AND I always install the barrel upon receiving the kit, just to prevent this warpage. The wood fibers will dry and conform to the barrel just fine. Also, nearly all warpage will be side to side, and shrinkage will be up and down. To avoid the dreaded, "proud tang", please allow the stock to season completely, and a full year is not to long, depending on where you live.
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016