Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Hammer on a GPR  (Read 921 times)

Offline Walt H

• TMA Forum Member
Hammer on a GPR
« on: March 26, 2015, 06:15:34 AM »
Hi,new to the forum,need some help I have a GPR and the hammer is not in the center of the nipple can I bend it . Thanks Walt H.

Offline Voyageur

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Hammer on a GPR
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 10:06:57 AM »
Yes with care and some heat...."Doc"
Artillerymen Do It With A Bang
Artillery the King of Battle
St. Barbara-Pray for us !

NRA Endowment Life

Charter Member #104-10/22/15
"JOIN THE TMA TODAY"

Offline Walt H

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 11:10:53 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Walt H

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 11:15:05 AM »
Walt,... the hammer is "malleable" and can be bent a little when cold (if careful) by removing it from the lock so as not to over-stress the tumbler.
As mentioned, the safest way of bending the hammer,.... is to heat the portion of the hammer to be bent red hot, this is also done OFF the lock, so as not to adversely affect the "heat-treatment" of your other lock internals when heating the hammer.
All adjustments to the hammer, should be done a little bit at a time, given time to cool, and fitted back on the lock to see how things are progressing.

If the the hammer is just a "little bit off center" (as it came from the factory) and is NOT landing on the edge of the cap enough to effect ignition,... I probably wouldn't worry about it too much if it were mine.  :)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Semisane

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 11:46:19 AM »
Bending the hammer may not be the right fix. Have you tried checking the position of the lock plate in the stock? You may have over tightened the lock screw, causing the lock to sit at a slight angle in the mortise. Try loosening the lock screw, positioning the hammer in the correct position over the nipple, and while holding it in that position, gently tightening the lock screw. It doesn't need to be real tight.

Another fix is to shim the lock plate to change the angle of the hammer to the nipple. The shim should be about an inch long and 1/8" wide, and about the thickness of paper cut from a business card or plastic cut from a Coke bottle. If the hammer is off to the right of the nipple, put the shim between the lock plate and the mortise at the bottom of the lock plate. If it's off to the left, put the shim at the top of the lock plate, between the lock plate and the mortise.

Another fix is to gently scrape wood in the mortise to change the angle of the lock.
Bad things happen for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you did something stupid.

Offline Walt H

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 01:05:24 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, but some heat on it and moved it a hair it is right on now. Thanks again  for the replies.

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 09:59:13 PM »
:hairy
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline MountainDevil

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 07:58:45 PM »
if it fires reliably, leave it alone.

Offline cowboys1062

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 06:52:27 AM »
You shouldnt have to bend anything. When I first got my GPR I was getting missfires every shot. I had to take the nipple off and put a little blackpowder in there and put the nipple back on to fire it. The problem was that the front edge of the hammer was barely touching the edge of the nipple. I sent the GPR back to Lyman and they did a (HAMMER/NIPPLE ALIGNMENT) and also put a new barrel on it for some reason. You shouldnt have to correct a quality control issue on Lymans part. Just my opinion!