Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Gathering Parts For My New "Retirement" Rifle Build  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Gathering Parts For My New "Retirement" Rifle Build
« on: January 05, 2018, 11:34:43 PM »
With the new year underway I thought I would start gathering some more parts for my next "flintlock rifle" build...  :Doh! Yes, another one... :)

I've had a 7/8" x 36" - .45 caliber Green Mnt Brl setting around for years now, just waiting on me to give it a home in some Maple I have setting out in my workshop that's been there for at least 10 years, I bet.

I ordered an "American Classic L&R Lock" from Track of the Wolf. I would have went with a Large Siler - but they're running $195.00 at TOW, whereas the LR is holding at $157.00 and that difference translates into (19) "No.6 Black English Flints" (so I ordered 20 of those as well).

I've had good luck with the two L&R (John Bailies) locks I own, (one in flint & one in percussion), so I expect the same quality and functionality from the "American Classic L&R Flintlock." As usual I'll make my own; underlugs, pins, trigger, trigger plate, front & rear sights, toe-plate, and flash hole liner...

I might even try something fancy with the wood, who knows...

I kinda plan on spreading this build out over 15 months (at which point I'm planning on retiring, or at least cutting back to a few days of work each week) we'll see...

With this build I'll try and keep some progress pictures posted here for those that might want to look in every once in a'while and see if I'm making any progress... :) 
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Gathering Parts For My New "Retirement" Rifle Build
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 12:15:08 PM »

That sounds much better than the "honey do" list I got when I retired......  :hairy

I hope you can take & post some pics as you progress with the build.

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 02:33:25 PM »
I will post some pictures as I go along with the build, PetahW  :bl th up

I do expect that "honey do" list to show up about the same time I get started with this project, but if I can stay hidden for awhile I might be able to get a decent start on it... :laffing

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 04:51:19 PM »
New Direction (All Ready)...

Instead of building a new rifle, I'm going to convert this rifle (see picture below) to flintlock (using the new L&R Flint Lock I ordered). The percussion lock of this rifle actually is from the rifle I built for my wife many years ago, which I have been using in the rifle pictured below, and the one which is my new reworked Rendezvous rifle. (Had a earlier post about this rifle last year)

It will now become a "flintlock" as all I have to do is remove the Drum & install the the Flash Hole Liner... The Nose Cap of this rifle will sell the "idea" that the fore-stock was damaged, then shortened and made into a half stock (which could very well have happened way back in the day) giving justification for half-stock Flintlock Muzzle Loading Rifles,,, (not that it's needed at any club/organization that I know of),,, but to me it sells what could have very well been a "common or uncommon" practice during the Rendezvous Fur trade era of 1825 - 1840, (and beyond).

Now I'll just have to find another retirement project... lol!!!  :)  Oh, I might mention (if I didn't already) that my wife's rifle will get its percussion lock back... 

Just a quick update; I removed the drum and installed the Flash Hole Liner, so all that's left to do is install the Lock when it shows up (probably mid-week?) and the Siler Caplock is back on my wife's rifle.

This L&R lock has almost identical dimensions and comparing it with the Siler Flint Lock in the TOW Book (and TOW also mentions it will fit a Siler mortise) they appear identical. So,,, I should be good.  :bl th up

Here's an idea of what the lock area will look like as a flintlock rifle. I'll have to fit the L&R Lock when it shows up.

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 04:48:55 PM »
Single set trigger, or just a single trigger?

-Kees-
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 08:05:17 PM »
Single set trigger, or just a single trigger?

-Kees-

Just a single trigger, WH. This rifle has a pretty lite pull the way I got the slant cut on the trigger that engages the Sear release arm.  :bl th up

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 09:42:14 PM »
Joe, I have to be rock solid honest.........

We have known each for a long time, but for the life of me I can not remember the time when you were not working on "sump'n"!
And, I don't mean that in a bad way either!  :bow

You are the building man's builder.
You are always working on some kind of project.....Gun, Bow, 'Arrer's", Knife, Hawk, Sights, Possibles Bag, and on, and on.....you name it, Joe da man does it!

It amazes me that Cindy even lets you come in the house to eat!
Or, better yet, how you ever find time to eat, between building, range time, work, more range time, and planning another project.

When they say, "Idle hands make for a Devil's playground", ya don't have to worry Joe, not even a little bit. 
Good luck to ya, my friend, and the best to your lovely wife!
Can't wait to see what your retirement is like, or even what the next 11 months in this year is going to bring.

:lol sign

Uncle Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 06:42:05 AM »
Can't wait to see what your retirement is like, or even what the next 11 months in this year is going to bring.

Oh, I might slow up a bit and sleep in 'till 5:00 AM before planning my day...  :)

I've got the conversion from cap to flint done on this rifle (I'll post a picture later), and the cap-lock is installed back onto Cindy's rifle (its rightful home),,, so I've got a little project time open now - which will probably be a rework on Cindy's rifle which I slapped together way back (15 years ago at least). I need to beautify it a bit as it truly was a quick last minute build so she'd have something she could use in the gal's shoot at the Rendezvous (but she never really took to the shooting, as she enjoyed the atmosphere of the Rendezvous camp a'lot more), but I'll rework her rifle anyway.

Al'most forgot, I gotta make new poles for our family Rendezvous tent... Now that's a better weather project... :toast

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 01:15:40 PM »
Okay, here's the rifle with the L&R Flint Lock installed; This Lock breaks smooth, and throws good sparks into the pan. I did do a little trigger work as well. Gonna try to get out Wednesday and play with it (Sorry about the picture quality).

Here's the rifle before its transition to Flint Lock;

You know Russ, this calls for a new shooting bag I'll start on soon for this new transition Flint Lock.  :shake

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 03:53:12 PM »
You know, Joe, this just proves something that I learned oh so many years ago when I was young and had hair on the top of my head.

At the time I was involved pretty heavily into automobiles and I discovered to my dismay that if you changed one thing, one simple, teenee tiny thing, more often than not you would have to change two more things to go along with it.  So, say you wanted to get rid of the stock exhaust manifolds and put headers on the engine.  Simple enough, but then you needed to redo one way or another the exhaust tubing back to the mufflers.  While you're at it, might as well put on a new set of mufflers.  While you are doing that, might as well reroute the exhaust out the side instead of out the back.  See how easy that all was?  And we're not even taking into account catalytic converters here.  This was pre-smog control.

So, changing a lock back to the original flintlock will require a new shooting bag and trust me, you're gonna need a new powder horn to go along with the new bag.  And so it goes, my friend.  So it goes.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 04:39:06 PM »
So, changing a lock back to the original flintlock will require a new shooting bag and trust me, you're gonna need a new powder horn to go along with the new bag.  And so it goes, my friend.  So it goes.

Ain't that the awful truth, John.  :bow  :bl th up

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 04:12:22 PM »
I haven't got to the Range as yet to play with this Rifle/Lock conversion, but I have to say that I did go out to my workshop this morning with the Rifle and I threw some 2fg Goex powder down the bore and also put just a touch of 2fg in the pan to test the ignition just outside my workshop... I must of put 30 or more grains in the bore as when I touched off the loose powder it was an instant "big" boom! I actually thought the sheriff might show up,,, (yes it was that loud),,, but he didn't - and I cleaned the Rifle and the Lock.

Now, I have to brag on this new L&R Flint Lock;

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/747/1/LOCK-LR-2100

It was/is fast!!! And it was tested with 2f powder, with very little (and I mean very little) 2f Prime in the pan...  IMHO, if that Siler Percussion Lock I had on this Rifle was any faster then this L&R Flint Lock,,, I certainly didn't notice a difference. This L&R Classic Flint Lock is, "Fast!!!"

I'm looking forward to when I can have a decent session with this rifle at the Range! I'm very happy with this new Lock and the conversion I made from the Siler Percussion Lock.  :hairy

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 04:37:24 PM by Ohio Joe »

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 04:55:00 PM »
You know, through the progression of different owners of L & R Lock Co, I have bought and used a bunch of them, mostly the shotgun style locks that were put on our big bore rifles.  Through the years I have heard some less than kind opinions of them as well.  But I must say that of all the locks we have installed, I have yet to hear back of any problems with them, either flint or percussion.
Personally, i have always found them to be a reliable lock that functions problem free.
Joe, your observations of your lock do not surprise me even a little tiny bit.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 06:14:56 PM »
John, I think there's a lot to what L&R has to say about this Lock;

The cam action angle of the tumbler engages the mainspring. This really speeds lock time. Turned bearing surfaces on the tumbler and sear minimize friction, essential during cold weather hunting. Improved cock geometry allows a shorter stroke, with better sparks thrown squarely into the pan.

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 10:02:11 PM »
I surely can't complain about the one I have on my T-C!  The cock comes down with real authority, let me tell you, and it's real easy on flints.  On top of which, I sold the original T-C lock so the L&R only cost me $50.  Only problem was that I kind of buggered up the inletting when I mounted it.  It's filled with colored bedding epoxy and isn't really noticeable but it really pops out in a photo.  But that doesn't hurt performance one bit!

I read where someone, I don't remember who, was in at the L&R shop when an irate client came in saying that their locks weren't worth a hoot.  The shop owner looked it over and it was dry as a bone.  He lubricated it and it worked fine, but the customer was not satisfied and got his money back.  I believe the directions do specify that you need to keep it greased....

-Kees-
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025