Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Trigger pin installation  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Reactor

• TMA Forum Member
Trigger pin installation
« on: March 30, 2019, 05:14:20 PM »
Can anyone steer me in the right direction.  I purchased a Jim Chambers fowler kit and I'm having trouble identifying the proper procedure on installing the trigger. 
I have read one book's chapter on trigger installation, pin location and angle but i am a little uncomfortable with drilling the pin. 
I'm supposed to locate the pivot point on the trigger and just drill through the lock plate and through the other side of the stock. 
1/16 inch pin stock seems to be awful thin to handle the trigger.  Also, I don't see the pin on other locks pictures.  Is there a better way to install a trigger?
I'm not ready to install the trigger; i just want to make sure when the time comes I'm doing it correctly.
Are there any tricks to transferring the pivot point location to the lock plate?

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Trigger pin installation
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 07:32:57 PM »
Can anyone steer me in the right direction.  I purchased a Jim Chambers fowler kit and I'm having trouble identifying the proper procedure on installing the trigger. 
I have read one book's chapter on trigger installation, pin location and angle but i am a little uncomfortable with drilling the pin. 
I'm supposed to locate the pivot point on the trigger and just drill through the lock plate and through the other side of the stock. 
1/16 inch pin stock seems to be awful thin to handle the trigger.  Also, I don't see the pin on other locks pictures.  Is there a better way to install a trigger?
I'm not ready to install the trigger; i just want to make sure when the time comes I'm doing it correctly.
Are there any tricks to transferring the pivot point location to the lock plate?

Don't drill "through the lock's plate",..... drill inside the lock's "mortise" and on out the other side. The lock will then cover one end of the pin.
Sometimes,... depending on the "side plate" you're using, the pin won't be seen on the off-side either, but most generally that doesn't happen (which is fine).  :bl th up

You need a book like,..... https://www.amazon.com/Art-Building-Pennsylvania-Longrifle/dp/B000LZG1B6/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=longrifles&qid=1553987999&s=books&sr=1-2  ..... that has pictures and can explain it better than me, there are more expensive books you can buy, but this one covers the basics pretty well.  :bl th up

1/16" pins are plenty strong, for triggers, trigger guards, ramrod pipes, and etc.  :hairy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Reactor

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Trigger pin installation
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 05:44:48 PM »
O.K. i got it.

Thank you for the help.