Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Question about a kit.?  (Read 1421 times)

Offline pintail_drake2004

• TMA Forum Member
Question about a kit.?
« on: September 23, 2008, 06:54:38 PM »
Hello yall, my brother and i are very interested in building our first ML and came across several kits. 1 kit in particular caught our eye. We came across this one on the sitting fox custom muzzleloaders web site. Do any of you have any experience with this kit, or one from this dealer? we are wanting something in the 54-58 cal range.

http://www.sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com

Offline Mule Brain

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
I think it really depends on what style you are looking for! I would really start there.

I know that most people recommend Jim Chambers, and Don Stith for gun kits. If I was you for a first kit, get something that isn't too tough!

Good Luck on that first build

BTW Sitting Fox might be good too, I just don't know much about them.

http://www.donstith.com/muzzle_loading_rifles.html

http://www.flintlocks.com/

Track of the Wolf has a bunch with good reputation as well

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(j01ays ... fcy4oukd3c))/categories/catList.aspx?catID=13
Keep Your Powder Dry, And Your Back To The Wind!

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 12:20:05 PM »
See PM (private message).
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 12:40:56 PM »
We are wanting do a lancaster Pennsylvania Rifle specifically. would like to ultimately hunt bear with it. Any suggestions on a specific kit? my bro and i have good woodworking skills, but would rather have the inletting done for us.

Offline mallard_drake85

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 01:13:21 PM »
we grew up around woodworking, our father is a master carpenter, and we have been taught and shown around the woodshed since, well we were 5 when we first started helpin pop in there. but like my brother said, due to our work and graduate school schedules we would prefer the inletting be done for us on our first kit.
Some people shouldn't be allowed to breed

Offline nessy357

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 03:59:56 PM »
Have you looked here, their stocks are 95% inlet.
http://www.longrifles-pr.com/
Cheers Bob.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 07:04:14 PM by nessy357 »
BC Canada Provincial TMA Representative[/color]

TMA member 326

Expires Feb 4 2011

Load fast shoot slow.

Offline butterchurn

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 05:09:25 PM »
I agree with Wyosmith.  It is absolutely true.  You get what you pay for.
Butterchurn
Member # 249
Exp. 07/12/10

Set your course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship.
General Omar N. Bradley

Offline jasontn

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 05:17:24 PM »
i bought a kit from track of the wolf last year. i spoke with mtt and toni avance of TVM at a show last month and looked at thier kits. they are dang near in the white. sights, tenons, touchole and breechplug done on the barrel and the lock bolts and tang bolts are already drilled and tapped. the thrack of the wolf kits have none of this done and cost the same. i agree with steve, the more the kit costs, the less it will cost for a smith build for you. precarves are mass produced and he hit the nail when he said thered be some mess ups to fix.

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 06:15:42 PM »
You can find TVMuzzlelaoding here:

http://www.avsia.com/tvm/
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 08:47:45 PM »
i would agree with steve , you get what you pay for .
at the same time i have done a couple  assemblies from sitting fox . They are not all that bad  but  remember your finishing work  that another smith has started . There are always things  I would do different .
 But when it comes to guns in the white ? that’s different ball game . In reality  the smith you bought the gun from did the work , your just finishing it , not building it .

I cant say that about Jims work though , chambers is always a class act .

As to ToW . I buy very little from them anymore . Sometimes a lock  or some brass but never a stock  or barrel
TVM , I  have has some issues with  ill leave it at that

Now with pecatonica river ,  . Dick is a good fella to work with  BUT he doesn’t sell kits , he sells assemblies . They are not in the white , you have to do the work and do your own inletting , drilling and such .
 Now he does have pre inlet stocks but  they are like  ToW , in fact  its my understanding makes  a large % of  the stocks for ToW . But IMO  he  grades much better then ToW  and for me , has never failed to provide me with 2X the quality of wood  at ½ the price of ToW .

What I would recommend to you is  this . If you are looking to have a smith asymble a parts assembly into a gun that’s in the white , for you to finish , ask that smith WHO he recommends , then  go from there

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 01:12:18 AM »
well gents im not sure what to think anymore. THis is the kind of info i was hoping yall would provide. So "in the white" means it is assembled and ready for finish, or some assembly required? how difficult is to go put the gun together from a kit with parts provided?

Does anyone know of someone who would be willing to work a deal with 2 college boys on a gun each?

appreciate the help fellas
Pintail and Mallard

Offline butterchurn

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 02:30:33 PM »
What Wyosmith said.
Butterchurn
Member # 249
Exp. 07/12/10

Set your course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship.
General Omar N. Bradley

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 02:17:25 PM »
Well Tools are not a problem, our father is a cabinet maker, and we have worked for him off and on for almost 15years.
That tutorial is great, i have read it over and over-the more i read, the more i want to make one!

So if we get one "in the white" it will be assembles, i could easily dismantle it to see how things work and finish it? that sound alright. I wouldnt think making one from scratch would be too terribly difficult, the hardest part would be the inletting for us. i dont even know how i would begin that.

Offline Mule Brain

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 09:07:52 PM »
Wyosmith,

The information you are currently providing in really invaluable.

I for one, have done some repairs, and refinishing etc... but never a build. This thread has provided me with some good insight as well!

Thanks

MB
Keep Your Powder Dry, And Your Back To The Wind!

Offline Indiana

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 01:18:42 PM »
I agree with Steve.  The Gunsmith of Grenville County is a really good one to use.  I also found Recreating the American Longrifle a good companion for it.  Together, those books cover about everything you need to know, or at least provide sources to get more info.  

And if you are ever stuck, the forum here is the best resource of all!
"Damn the sword! When Virginia wanted a sword, I gave her one. Now she sends me a toy when I require bread!” -George Rogers Clark