Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: estimating velocity  (Read 2330 times)

Online Jim in Wisconsin

• TMA Forum Member
estimating velocity
« on: August 07, 2023, 07:17:48 AM »
I was shooting my 36 cal. mule ear rifle yesterday and wondered how fast those balls are going. Hornady .350 that weigh about 65.5 grains with 31 grains of 3f black powder and a pretty tight mink oil patch shoots accurate (if I don't wiggle). The barrel is 32 inches long
There is a dead ash tree with the bark off about 50 yards from where I was shooting, so I shot it. The ball made a dent about half it's diameter deep but didn't stick in. That wood is real hard though.
Is there any way to estimate speed without a chronometer? I think that ball is just sort of loafing along.

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
Re: estimating velocity
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 09:52:12 AM »

IMO,  velocity for a .36, usually used on small game or targets, doesn't really matter because the PRB will usually puncture either for a good effect.    :toast
NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 01:23:09 PM »
I would say you're getting close to (possibly) 1457+ FPS at the muzzle... Round ball looses velocity quickly, so at 50 yards you may be in the 978 fps range, and at 100 yards about 786, maybe??? Conditions play a big part in this.

This info is from the; old Lyman Black Powder Handbook... There's probably more up to date information out there. My book is from the 1970's, and I don't know if it was ever updated in later years, and of course the Powder you're using plays a big part...  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Jim in Wisconsin

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2023, 06:19:05 PM »
Thanks, that sounds about right. Not even close to the "crack" of speed of sound. The old books are still useful, somethings haven't changed since then.

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 03:58:29 PM »
Unless you have a chronograph it's more of a "guessing game".  I say this because speed per grains of powder isn't always linear.  In my .40 the velocity of a prb was almost predictable until five grains of powder was added to a 35 grn charge causing the velocity to jump 200+ fps.  That anomaly never repeated at any other charge other than the 35 grn that was increased to 40 grains.  Over several sessions it happened every time at that load.

That being said it's possible to be in the ballpark if the following steps are taken.  Using a uniform testing material, wood will work, that has been shot previously and velocity measured.  The penetration has to be measured for the test shot and another shot with 5 grns added.  At least at certain charges the penetration will give a general idea.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 04:27:58 PM »
Speed of sound varies because of temperature and humidity, but is pretty much 1084 fps. so you are well exceeding that.

I agree with Joe.  Looking at my Lyman BP handbook it shows 1457 fps at the muzzle for a 32" barrel with a charge of 30 grains of FFFg behind a patched 71 grain bullet.  You are lighter than that with one grain more powder so the MV is probably around 1500 fps.  The ballistic tables for .350 round ball at 1500 fps MV shows 1023 fps at 50 yards and 812 at 100.  With a 50 yard zero, you should be .31" high at 25 yards and 7.42" low at 100.

As Joe said, depending on powder and conditions. And, I bet they didn't actually measure these at the varying distances, but used the measured MV plugged into a formula to develop the rest.  But for ball park figures they should be "good enough".

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Jim in Wisconsin

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 09:25:12 PM »
I see Dixie has that Lyman b.p. handbook, I need to order one.
Today I shot that tree from the same distance with a 6.5mm Swedish Mauser just to compare. That jacketed hollow point penetrated 2 inches - quite a difference!

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2023, 01:38:41 PM »
Jim, just by chance is that tree an oak tree?

I ask because of the old history of the American warship "Old Iron Sides" - and the British complaining about their cannon balls just bouncing off the ol' gal when hit, and she was made of oak... I know it's comparing an iron ball to lead, but it's still interesting to think about.

Online Jim in Wisconsin

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2023, 03:17:01 PM »
No, it isn't an oak tree. It's one of real many dead trees around here - ash I guess- they have all been killed by those emerald ash bugs that have invaded us. It is pretty hard wood though.
I have 5 acres with lots of trees on it, but I don't think there are any oaks on it at all.
I would love to go aboard Old Ironsides though!

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2023, 11:22:29 PM »
Sorry to hear about those emerald ash bugs, Jim...

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2023, 07:56:59 PM »
Jim, it might be possible to find a Bow Maker who would be interested in some of those  dead Ash Trees... I have a couple Ash Bows (which I never guessed one could make a Bow out of Ash), but they do it... Mine are simple longbows. Just a thought.  :shake

Online Jim in Wisconsin

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2023, 09:23:03 PM »
There are lots of them around here! Seems like every other front yard in the country has a rack with pieces of firewood for sale. $10 for a bundle you could carry in your arms. The ones in my yard are big enough that I don't want to cut them down. Too much work for this old guy. They are easily big enough to get bow size pieces out of them. The wood is light colored and pretty darn hard - sort of "stringy"

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2023, 03:32:07 PM »
For a hundred bucks you can get a new chronograph from Midway.
Good enough to take the guesswork out of the game.
If I really cared about velocity, I would get one.  But I don't, so I won't.
I have had a couple of them, mainly for testing when we were making the big bore guns.
Hint:  If you are shooting black powder guns, I found it a worthwhile thing to fasten a piece of paper on the leading sky screen frame to keep the burnt powder from messing up the eyes (I guess that is what they are called).  On the really big guns (8 bore and 4 bore) where I was shooting larger amounts of powder (over 250 grains), I had to move the chrono out about 10 or 15 feet to get a reading. 
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Jim in Wisconsin

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2023, 07:10:37 PM »
I had wondered about chronographs, whether they would work with muzzleloaders. I thought maybe the patch, and all the smoke and sparks would be a problem. Sounds like they do work though. I had one many years ago, borrowed it to someone and never got it back.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2023, 06:12:25 AM »
Most screen chronos will work with black powder fueled muzzleloaders, no big deal.