Traditional Firearms > Cap and Ball Revolvers

Roughly, What Date Did They Stop Making Paper Cartridges For Revolvers?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Ohio Joe:

--- Quote from: Oldetexian on November 22, 2019, 07:13:54 PM --- :P :P :P I cannot believe that Colt would charge the public for historical information. That imo is really bad public relations.

--- End quote ---

I have to agree, Oldetexian...

Ohio Joe:
Here is some information.

http://americancivilwarrelics.com/Civil%20War%20Cartridge%20Civil%20War%20Cartridge.htm

Reasonable thinking would tell me that some companies stayed in business making paper cartridges well after our Civil War ended. 

Also, it's claimed (not at this site above) that Hickok in Deadwood, 1876 - would freshen his loads every morning in his .36 Colt Navy's (not only to freshen them by firing them off to put on a shooting display that sent a message to leave me the hell alone).  I can't imagine him shooting both revolvers empty before reloading them - but rather empty one (then reload it) and then empty the second (then reloading it) always assuring himself that he had one loaded revolver on him, if needed... That's just common sense I would think. Now whether he used paper cartridges or flask and ball, my guess would be paper cartridges for less "down" time with that first empty revolver. (I wouldn't rule out spare cylinders either).

Now I can't imagine Hickok making his own paper cartridges (though he may have in his early years) but with his failing eyesight, I just kind'a think he bought them at the local "General Store / Trading Post" or perhaps he may have "rolled his own" or had a gunsmith in deadwood make them up for him?   

Winter Hawk:
I read, many years ago, that Hickok would shoot one of his Navy Colts empty in the evening, then clean & oil it before reloading.  Once the first one was ready for action he did the same for the other.  Unfortunately, I don't think the article said anything about using cartridges, if he did.  He could just as well have loaded from a flask, methinks.

~Kees~

Ohio Joe:

--- Quote from: Winter Hawk on November 22, 2019, 09:31:27 PM ---I read, many years ago, that Hickok would shoot one of his Navy Colts empty in the evening, then clean & oil it before reloading.  Once the first one was ready for action he did the same for the other.  Unfortunately, I don't think the article said anything about using cartridges, if he did.  He could just as well have loaded from a flask, methinks.

~Kees~

--- End quote ---

Agreed  :bl th up This we'll never know unfortunately.

What got me to thinking about all this is the cap-n-ball Revolvers I've had for over 40+ years with many a rounds sent through them (probably more then many shot theirs back in the C&B Revolver days)... They still work and hold up, so why wouldn't people of the C&B Revolver era - stick with what they had & knew? Money sure wasn't easy to come by back in the old west days. Card playing, drinking, and,,, well companionship,,, didn't come cheap on a Saturday night when the boys rode to town once a month...  :Doh! Oh brother, this topic just must of hit rock bottom...  :laffing

Oldetexian:

--- Quote ---What got me to thinking about all this is the cap-n-ball Revolvers I've had for over 40+ years with many a rounds sent through them (probably more then many shot theirs back in the C&B Revolver days)... They still work and hold up, so why wouldn't people of the C&B Revolver era - stick with what they had & knew? Money sure wasn't easy to come by back in the old west days. Card playing, drinking, and,,, well companionship,,, didn't come cheap on a Saturday night when the boys rode to town once a month...  :Doh! Oh brother, this topic just must of hit rock bottom...  :laffing

--- End quote ---

The topic is definitely "trending south," but I think we owe it to our great love of history to follow the trail where it leads... :lol sign :lol sign :lol sign

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version