Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

Flints

(1/7) > >>

Stryker:
Came across this interesting quote last night from Chapter III, of the book Daniel Boone, Wilderness Scout, by Stewart Edward White

"Its owner never used any but the finest French flints, thin and very sharp. They were semi-transparent, and one would fire 150 shots."

mario:
Considering S.E.W. wasn't born until 1873, I'd take his writings with a grain of salt.

But anyhow...even the British Army used French amber flints until the RevWar era.

Mario

Kermit:
TOTW is selling French amber flints. Apparently a limited supply, and color varies amber to grey.

Ohio Joe:
Have never used the French Amber Flints, but I do use the Black English Flints and have gotten as many as 120+ shots from a single BEF.  However, I'd say I average anywhere from 50 to 80 shots from the BEF's...

For Boone to have supposedly said he got 150 shots from a French Amber Flint, I see no reason to doubt him if he actually did say this?  He may also have just been referring to a few times that it happened, just as the 120+ shots from the BEF that happened for me.

It would be interesting to know where Stewart Edward White obtained his information?

pathfinder:
Until the price of the amber colored flints went beyond reason, that's all I used. Didn't keep track of how many shots I got out of them, seemed they may have gotten a few more shot's than the black one's, THEY LOOKED COOL!. Now I use Rich Pierce's American river bottom flint's. I still can't see much difference between the three. I'm going for the American! :shake

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version