Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

officers model musket

(1/4) > >>

sawbones:
Howdy all,  I'm interested in getting an officers model musket from Matt Dennison at NorthStar West.   I already have a trade gun, and I know the quality will be good.  I have wanted a military type flintlock for some time now.  Anyhow, I was just wondering about the history of that type of gun.  I don't know, but I don't think that Brittish officers were issued Brown Bess's?  I think they had to provide there own.  So they would go to a gun maker and have their own version of a "Bess type" of gun made for them?

I don't know if that is correct or not, so please give me some information on that if you got it.   I like the looks of that gun and will probably get one.  Just wondering about the history.  Thanks,  Chuck

mario:
Depending on rank, British officers could be armed with a fusil/fusee (a light musket of around .65 caliber), a sword or halberd.

By the time of the RevWar, those under the rank of Major were expected to have a fusil. They could carry one that came through the supply line or commision them from gunmarkers.

There are many existing examples of officer's fusils in existence. They range from quite simple to quite exquisite, from fowler-styled (like the one Chambers offers) to mini-Brown Bess copies (like NSW).

I'd love one of NSW's officer's fusils.

Mario

PS- And being a commercial firearm, any civilian with the $ could order one, too.

sawbones:
Thanks Mario, I was hoping to get your opinion on that.
 Could the officers get a regular Bess if they wanted one?

mario:
Probably. But considering that their job was to command their men and not be shooting alongside them, my guess is that the lighter gun was the norm.

Lots of carrying + little bit of shooting = I want a 6-7 pound fusil instead of a 10 pound musket...

Mario

James Kelly:
Caywoodguns offers one in 20 ga (.62 cal) and I believe 12 ga (.71 cal) Northernrifleman has one 12 ga Caywood fusil kit available today.
I have a Caywood French Type D trade gun & can attest to the fine workmanship of their finished guns.
What I personally most like is they use Gun Barrel Quality steel barrel blanks. Means the steel has been particularly inspected at the mill to ensure freedom from flaws. Steel Guys say GBQ has to do with the whole steelmaking process.
What anyone would like is that the locks actually spark, for real, and the damn gun goes off. If you shoot a Caywood you may be the only one on the firing line not cursing.
I am s-l-o-w-l-y putting together one of their pistol kits.
Their fusil can be had with a bayonet, nice for sticking a wounded pig but I'm not sure it is historically all that accurate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version