Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

roman nose

(1/3) > >>

wadedog:
What year is the roman nose type butt of rifles first made or maybe i should say more common or period correct.

AxelP:
I'd add that perhaps a more distinguishing aspect of the longrifle to determine its apropriate time period, would be the width and shape of the buttplate, the style of lock, the caliber and patchbox style...

Axe

jerry:
I agree with  Wtosmith & AxelP, more information would be needed to approximate an age or time period.

chuckpa:
As wyosmith says this subject can be a can of worms, I live in Berks County Pa and I have listened to many debates on these rifles. Joe kindig and Henry Kauffman feel that the Golden Era of Gun Making in Pennsylvania is between 1775 and 1830. The suggestion  of the Roman nose started in Berks county prior to this time. During the the Golden age the Roman Nose became the most significant identifying feature of rifles made in the Berks County area. As was stated by AxelP there are the other identifying features which must be looked at. A very good source of information on the Roman nose stock is Henry J. Kauffmans book The Pennsylvania Kentucky Rifle.

wadedog:
Thanks for the replys .

What year would this had been made and be period correct.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop ... Code=R2090

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version