Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

BUYING A BESS ??

(1/2) > >>

Puffer:
I just had an individual as me the following ??
1. Wants a GOOD quality
2. what makers ?
3. where to buy?

Yed I did refer him to the TMA, I would like your suggestions to also add to my knowlede.

Thank you

PUFFER

Bigsmoke:
The only Bess I have ever owned I traded off many a year ago.  I believe it was a Pedersoli.  And I also believe I was really stupid to get rid of it.
It sparked extremely well, and the touch hole (not liner) was large enough to self prime with Ffg.  It was fast!!!  It would also fire upside down, should the need ever arise.  Still have the little blue tattoos on my left bicep to prove it.

hawkeye:
The only 2 real choices are the Pedersoli Bess and the various Indian made ones. I love my Pedersoli Bess. If I could only own one muzzleloader, it would be the one. They are very good quality and parts are readily available and don't need to be hand fitted.

The Indian made Bess' are great for reenactors but I wouldn't want to use one as a true shooter. Parts are hard to come by and need to be hand fitted. And the fit and finish have a lot to be desired.

BEAVERMAN:
Puffer what about jess?? the guy buttons got his baker from, does he build a bess?

butterchurn:
I also LOVE my Pedersoli Bess!  It is just as Hawkeye said.  I won't ever give mine up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version