Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Waterproofing hunting frock.  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Waterproofing hunting frock.
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 07:24:58 AM »
they also died young.

when you do the things the way they did, you ARE just hunting with old guns and wearing funny clothes.

not all died young .
 not to also mention what we consider young today , was considered old back then .
no you not just hunting in  funny cloths and with old guns . Hopefully your experiencing  what it actually took  to do what we today often take for granted.
An understanding can in  be gained in o so many ways .
 The old saying of looks are only skin deep . Well that applies  as there is a lot more going on .

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
At the risk of being too long winded here is some waterproofing information from 1830.

WATER-PROOF DRESSING FOR SHOES, &c.

TAKE a piece of Indian rubber, about the size of a walnut.: cut it in sman pieces, and put it into a phial with four ounces of highly rectified spirits of turpentine. Cork it up for about a fortnight (more or less, according to cold or hot weather), and shake it every day. When this mixture has come to a consistence about the thickness of treacle, it is fit for use. You may then work it, with a paint brush, into leather, rope, or what you please. But, when used for the soles of shoes, leather trunks, or any thing that does not require flexibility, you should add, to this composition, three times the quantity of copal varnish. The most effectual mode of application is to anoint, not only the outside seams, but also the whole inside or the soles.

If you want this dressing in a hurry, and an extra expense is no object, you will find that ether, or reaptha, will dissolve Indian rubber, and dry, much quicker than spirits of turpentine. The powder colours, for painting, either with or without oil, will mix perfectly well with this composition.

The foregoing recipe was given me (just in time to publish it, but too late to make a proper trial of it), by Mr. Cornelius Varley, who tells me that he sent it, many years ago, to the Philosophical Magazine. Not wishing, however, to enter it without some kind of investigation, I applied to Mr. Fisher, the celebrated chemist in Conduit-street, who was good enough to make for me as many experiments as the limited time would admit of. The preparation which he found to mix the best, was three oz. of Indian rubber, boiled for about three hours, in a pint of linseed oil*, which thus became immediately of a good. consistence; but it required such a time to dry, that he afterwards found it necessary to add spirits of turpentine. In short, it has long been known that the solution of Indian rubber is a valuable recipe for making things waterproof. But there are so many ways of doing it; and, perhaps, among them all, the best not yet discovered, that we must, for the present, dismiss the subject by merely giving the hint, with the hope of putting our speculators on the scent, to bring to perfection what would be to their own advantage, and worthy the notice of the public.

* This comes very near to the recipe given in our former editions, and now very much in use, for dressing Russia duck.

Personally, I'd just use a can of Scotch Guard on the cape and lower parts of the trouser legs and call it close enough.  It won't be obvious that you did and it will give you some extra water protection.  As said earlier, dressing in layers underneath goes a long way toward mitigating rain and cold.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 06:28:05 PM »
Quote from: "greggholmes"
they also died young.

Yup. The infant mortality rate was really high, but I doubt waterproofing their little hunting frocks would have helped...

Mario

Offline greggholmes

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 675
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 06:33:38 PM »
if it keeps me from lowering my immune system so I don't get sick so I go to work on monday it's worth it
Member #675
Skagit Muzzle loaders
Expires June16, 2017

Any arm save our mothers', that arm is Brown Bess!

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 11:44:57 PM »
if it keeps me from lowering my immune system so I don't get sick so I go to work on monday it's worth it

If you get sick that easily from getting wet, perhaps a drier climate would be better.

As Cap said, just because you go PC doesn't mean you have to be uncomfortable and miserable.

Mario

Offline greggholmes

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 01:12:43 AM »
In 2389 days I can retire.  Yuma here I come.!!!!
Member #675
Skagit Muzzle loaders
Expires June16, 2017

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 05:06:02 AM »
:rotf  :toast  :toast  And then you can become a Southwest Trader.  Ahhhh living the good life. :hairy
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline LRB

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 01:29:15 PM »

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2014, 07:48:37 PM »
Quote from: "huntinguy"
November is usually a 6 inch month, and it only fall Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

I served time in old Camp Grisdale (Olympic Penninsuls, north of Montesano, Wynoochee River drainage) in the early 80s. First November there it rained 40 inches; just over 200 inches that year. Absolutely NOTHING keeps you dry. Gortex helps some. There's a reason for layering up in wool. I preferred Filson.

Wear wool, get wet, stay warm. Stay home, stay dry, stay warm. Your choice.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline greggholmes

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2014, 11:38:24 PM »
Or you could water proof and go out.
Member #675
Skagit Muzzle loaders
Expires June16, 2017

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2014, 12:16:26 AM »
Or you could water proof and go out.

As the man said:

Quote from: "Kermit"
First November there it rained 40 inches; just over 200 inches that year. Absolutely NOTHING keeps you dry. Gortex helps some. There's a reason for layering up in wool.

Mario

Offline greggholmes

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 12:32:29 AM »
Ya, I'm in the same general area. Just up north. I'm approx. 50 miles down river from the Oso mud slide. We get a lot of rain to.
This is all for FUN. If you are not having fun what is it?
Being soaked to the skin isn't fun.
Member #675
Skagit Muzzle loaders
Expires June16, 2017