Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Bone Buttons  (Read 2342 times)

Offline LeeRoy

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Bone Buttons
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 11:11:07 AM »
I would think that it would depend on the type of garment that they are being used on,
light use or heavy.

Thanks for the replies.
LeeRoy
Keep your powder dry.

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 11:07:04 AM »
Time to stop thinking and do some research. Seems buttons were made with one, two, three, four, and five holes, with FIVE being thought the most common. Also, buttons on clothing were for those with some monetary resources. Closing clothing with pins or hooks and eyes might be more HC in many cases.

Consider making buttons with one hole for a metal shank. Bone buttons were often just the forms for fabric covered buttons.

Read this. All of it. (Trying to open the links can be crazymaking since many are dead.)

A Woodsrunner's Diary: 18th Century Buttons. BONE BUTTONS.

Beware. Just because a button is bone doesn't mean it's old. Some folks think something from the 60's is an antique. Makes me prehistoric.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline LeeRoy

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 06:05:09 PM »
Thanks for the link.
It is a interesting read.

LeeRoy
Keep your powder dry.

Offline Blackbruin

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 07:27:22 PM »
I always found antler to be more durable and easier

Offline Mad Irish Jack

• TMA Contributing Member
    • Rangers of the Ohio Company
  • TMA Member: Tma Member #796
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 05:30:37 PM »
I also think antler  more durable and easier to make buttons from. I had a friend give me a decent eight point rack. I use 1/32 to a 1/16 bit to drill holes for the thread. I set a homemade fence on the table plate of a band saw using the thinist, finest toothed blade I can use. This helps keep thicknesses even. I slice off the buttons and keep them in order. I put 4, 5, or 6 buttons to a threaded set. I use what I need and when I rondy I go to the clothiers and sell on the blanket. Sets of same size sell easier than having them picked through. You need to check local law about animal parts etc. You can also tint (dye) buttons and/or tell those who buy them.  I only have 6 whole racks out of my 31, plus many given to me, that I haven't sliced up and used for buttons, handle and other uses.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
   The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Offline Bison Horn

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 10:55:19 PM »
I use antler buttons easy to make on the bandmsaw and hold up well. There is always a good supply of antlers. BH
Alan Wright

Texas Trappers and Fur Hunters Association Life Member, LTAHA,National Trappers Association Life Member,FTA,NRA,NAHC Life Member
Dallas Muzzleloading Gun Club
"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms"  Thomas Jefferson
Texas Trappers and Hunters Assoc.