Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Frock Coat Pattern Questions  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Greg Roemke

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #826
  • TMA Member: Membership expiration, 2/16/2020
Frock Coat Pattern Questions
« on: January 30, 2015, 10:12:13 PM »
Howdy!

My blue Hudson Bay blanket came in the mail today, and I have high hopes of making it into one of the frock style coats seen in Miller's paintings, along the lines of the "Trappers Bride".  My problem is that most of the frock coat patterns I have seen go to XXL, and sadly, I'm more of an XXXL type of guy.  Maybe a couple of treks would drop one of those X's right off...

At any rate I have limited sewing experience, actually, no sewing experience.  Would it be difficult to extrapolate a slightly larger size from a pattern?

Thanks for the input!

Greg

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Frock Coat Pattern Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 11:02:52 AM »
depends on what pattern you  use .
 i have a couple of the eagle patterns. With those you  actually have to cut the pattern to make a smaller size  .  IE the patter already comes XXLG  then  the pieces have rings printed around them  , about an inch apart ,to tell you have much to cut off to make the pattern smaller  to make it larger  you would simply add rings  so as to make the pattern lager.

While normally the Capote are not difficult , at least tell you get into the great coat  types , I would recommend  making your first one out of cheep cotton  or better yet , pillow ticking. Once you get  it to fit right , then  take it apart and use it for a pattern to cut  your blanket  .

Offline Greg Roemke

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 09:24:06 PM »
Making a test coat is a great idea Captchee!  I'd be a lot braver about actually getting it done, too.

Offline fremont

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 03:44:43 PM »
I'm glad to see you want a proper frock cut to your Capote rather than the straight cut. I have never enlarged one past the limit of the pattern but I think it should be easy enough..mostly go more wide at shoulders and allow more overlap at the front..good luck

Offline Greg Roemke

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 10:51:42 PM »
I was glad to get the email on the recent post, because it made me sit up and realized I have squandered most of this year, and the blanket is still folded up on the shelf in the den!  I had better get on that!