Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Range Box for Muzzleloaders from repurposed Wood Case  (Read 1660 times)

Offline RonC

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 741
Range Box for Muzzleloaders from repurposed Wood Case
« on: September 11, 2016, 11:26:20 AM »
I found what was a wall-mounted display case for nick-knacks. At least that was what I was told about its use. Made of plywood, it isn't authentic to the muzzleloader period, but it did supply me a foundation for modification into something useful.
Here it is after I had played around with it and made some changes. On the edge are pieces from our wood floor installation that serve to hold my sectional range rod.

Inside the left side of the box are the former top halves of wooden 3 x 5 card holders. They make great shelves and storage containers. The right half of the inside will eventually have pegs for attaching my muzzleloader pistols.

It ain't pretty, but may prove useful. Lots of small items will go in the top drawers. Hooks on the inside will hold short starters by leather thongs and, if I am shooting percussion, then they might hold cap dispensers.

Any ideas for modifications will be welcome!

Ron

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Range Box for Muzzleloaders from repurposed Wood Case
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 01:42:15 PM »
I think it looks good, Ron.

I never sell the Range Box short. Though I may load from the pouch & horn, I always have that Range Box with me in the pickup in case something would come up and I'd have to take care of something or another.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 11:54:15 PM »
Here's mine:

Rangebox by Sharps Man, on Flickr

$22.00 from Lowes! I've tried wood....doesn't hold up! When this one wears out....I'll go get another!
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline RonC

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 10:30:38 AM »
I have a few tooboxes and fishing tackle boxes I could use. But I just couldn't bear using a plastic container as a range box. Silly, I know, and my shooting outfit is not period or historically correct (bluejeans or cargo shorts and t-shirt), but having something wood just felt better. It also means that I take way too many supplies that I really don't need. :?
Also, it gave me something to do while recovering from some surgery.
Ron

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 10:45:28 AM »
Quote from: "RonC"
I have a few tooboxes and fishing tackle boxes I could use. But I just couldn't bear using a plastic container as a range box. Silly, I know, and my shooting outfit is not period or historically correct (bluejeans or cargo shorts and t-shirt), but having something wood just felt better. It also means that I take way too many supplies that I really don't need. :hairy  :USA
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline RonC

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 11:00:05 AM »
Of course they are replica 1775 bluejeans.  :lol:
Ron

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 05:08:23 PM »
I've gotten so comfortable shooting from my possibles bag that, that's all I use any more. Even on the rare occasion I go to a range and target shoot.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 07:04:40 PM »
Going to the Range, I honestly think I would consider myself lost without my three (3) Range Boxes.
Now, If I'm going hunting that's a whole 'nuther story.

Going to the Range, for me, includes every thing from a Chronograph, lighted sky screens, a Spotting Scope, a roll of Targets, a couple Staplers, extra Staples, tools, brass hammer, brass drifts, punches, spring vise, Co2 dis-charger, extra Co2, and sometimes even Clothes Pins depending on which range I'm going to...and then I have to find a place to put the 'stuff' I need to actually shoot with, you know, stuff like ball, powder, patch, lube, short starter, range rod which all fits quite well in or on my bag.

Quite often two of the boxes will never leave the truck, but the truck never leaves without them.
Some hard lessons learned over the years tells me that Murphy's Law is alive and well.

It seldom fails that I don't hear, "Hey Russ...I'm glad you showed up, this, that, whatever is broke" :cry:

It's a heck of a lot easier for me to just go hunting!

Ron....I'm really starting to like that word you used..."repurposed", you a real word smith!
Sounds better, and beats the heck out of "I found this piece of junk lying around"....

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline RonC

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 07:38:07 PM »
Gee, Uncle Russ, that sounds like my range boxes. CO2 discharger, range rod, can of slightly soapy water, tools, etc.

I am vastly experienced in the use of euphemisms, like "repurposed." For instance, if I had to "color the truth," in explaining something to my wife I also "committed terminological inexactitude." If we are arguing, we are having an "energetic exchange in which we engage, empathize and acknowledge.” Or when we are to be at a location at 6 pm and she is still in the shower at 5:45 pm, I complain that she is "chronologically challenged."

It is a useful skill, well worth developing. It can save your (my) life. :lol:
Ron

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 02:35:26 AM »
Quote from: "RonC"
Gee, Uncle Russ, that sounds like my range boxes. CO2 discharger, range rod, can of slightly soapy water, tools, etc.

I am vastly experienced in the use of euphemisms, like "repurposed." For instance, if I had to "color the truth," in explaining something to my wife I also "committed terminological inexactitude." If we are arguing, we are having an "energetic exchange in which we engage, empathize and acknowledge.” Or when we are to be at a location at 6 pm and she is still in the shower at 5:45 pm, I complain that she is "chronologically challenged."

It is a useful skill, well worth developing. It can save your (my) life. :lol sign

Ron, Ron, Ron....what's a mother to do? :Doh!

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 08:01:49 AM »
Found an old carpenters box with hinged lid. Added two leather straps to the sides to carry it and put all I thought I would need in it. If you look hard enough these old boxes are around in yard sales and antique shops, already aged!
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19