Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Dull flints suck big time!!!  (Read 1036 times)

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Dull flints suck big time!!!
« on: August 03, 2017, 09:04:17 AM »
An old "common" (double edged) gun flint with many dozens of good firings finally lost its edge,  After 3 failures I flipped it over to its second edge, which was also a tad worn.  After 2 failures I had enuf and swapped it out for a new flint that wouldn't spark on its first flight and required a bit of knapping.  When I brushed the ultra tiny knapped flint shards off the bench I got a nice 1/4" cut on the pinky.  Flint can be surgically sharp, beware!  After that, she fired every time.  Life is still good.  :)

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
Re: Dull flints suck big time!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 12:01:37 PM »
Glad you posted that Rob! This place has been deader than Uncle George for a while now! Some of my gear I've been working on....rifles are both OK but just doing some other things with related gear and I haven't been shooting because it's just been too blasted hot/humid!   :Doh! Cooler weather can't get here fast enough! :pray:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 12:03:30 PM by Hawken »
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 01:42:38 PM »
Glad you posted that Rob! This place has been deader than Uncle George for a while now! Some of my gear I've been working on....rifles are both OK but just doing some other things with related gear and I haven't been shooting because it's just been too blasted hot/humid!   :Doh! Cooler weather can't get here fast enough! :pray:

I'll second both of those notions! :bl th up

Uncle Russ....
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 02:08:01 PM »
Yes sir, it happens.

I once had a flint with over 80 shots off it,,, went to the Range and got 20+ more shots off it,,, thought to myself that I'd never have to change that flint out for a long time!  :bl th up  Then it happened on my following trip to the Range with that same rifle off that same flint,, she gave up and wouldn't give no more... She was a good flint while she lasted... It happens.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 03:49:42 PM »
I carry a diamond knife sharpener in my kit to sharpen the cut flints.  It works!

~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline RonC

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 741
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 12:19:36 AM »
I, too, have had the frustration of using a dull flint. I do carry several replacements in a flint wallet.
I tried and tried to get some sparks from a flint duller than a politician, but the rifle wouldn't fire. Replaced the flint and I had fast working flintlock.
Ron

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 03:40:52 PM »
.......(snip)............I tried and tried to get some sparks from a flint duller than a politician, but the rifle wouldn't fire. Replaced the flint and I had fast working flintlock.
Ron

Perhaps we should all remember this most excellent advise, come voting time.
 :hairy

Kidding aside, of course you're right Ron, dull flints do make Jack a dull boy, dull flints can also be a  really nerve racking psychological thing too, especially when we have no way to freshen them, or a new replacement in the wallet.
In fact, for me, when any gun does not fire when you want it to, and expect it to, this alone can ruin your entire shooting game....for hours, even days.
But that's just me, perhaps this is not true with everyone, on the other hand, I betcha if the truth be known, it affects more folks than those that are ready and willing to admit that it does......lol

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 05:17:15 PM »
Can't think of a faster way to develop a flinch.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 05:26:32 PM »
Can't think of a faster way to develop a flinch.

And there's really no reason for a 'flinch'!

All the BAD STUFF comes out the front end!! :bl th up :toast
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 09:03:15 AM »
A good sharp flint is just as important as using good caps.  I've shot both cap and flint for a long time and will admit that it takes a shot or two when switching from cap to flint just to "re" familiarize one's self (well me anyway) with the switch over. This is where that warm up target comes in handy,,, however, I have found if I just switch from a caplock to a flintlock and stay with the flintlock then I don't need that warm up target as the mind set is already established that I'm shooting one of my flintlock muzzleloaders.

I think in today's world we have a tendency to think the old timers of yesteryear didn't experience the dreaded "flinch" when going from cap to flint,,, but I expect they did. Shooting a traditional muzzle loader today (both types of ignition) is no different then shooting one 150 years ago. In fact we probably have the edge in today's world as our shooting is not dependent on, life or death, or if we eat that night or not. If anything, the old timers of yesteryear was probably more uncertain of the "percussion cap" over the reliability of the, Flint...  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Eric Krewson

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 08:01:29 PM »
I made this flaker to sharpen my flints, it takes very small chips off, is much more precise than a flint hammer and makes a really sharp flint.

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 10:31:10 AM »
I think in today's world we have a tendency to think the old timers of yesteryear didn't experience the dreaded "flinch" when going from cap to flint

Well Joe, back 150 years ago I expect most folks had one gun, period.  We live in an incredibly affluent society where we can afford to have more than firearm and get these problems of switching from one to another.  Back in the day you made do with what you had and, while a small minority might have been wealthy enough to have several guns, the vast majority didn't have to decide whether to use the flintlock or the caplock today! 

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 12:51:48 PM »
I have one of those pressure flakers too and have to agree with Eric:  They are more precise than a snapping hammer and do leave a very sharp edge! :bl th up

Question for Eric:  What kind of copper is used for the tip and where do you get it?

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 05:33:52 PM »
I've had flints that went 100+ and at least one that only gave about 4 shots.  I've had them break, self knapp and perform with honors.  It's not unusual to have them "need a knapp" after 30 (+ or -) shots.  And it's not unusual to get that many shots or more after knapping.  And these suckers can be SHARP!  I've bled a lot from flint cuts over the years.

Unlike some, I've never got great results from "pressure flaking".  I did take a small piece of copper and mounted on a screwdriver blade that I flat ground.  I generally knapp with the flint installed and get good results.  I've still got good many white, black English and amber French flints.  I'll put in a new flint at the start of hunting season.  The old flint goes back in for the rest of the year.  I'll use it until there's not enough left for the cock jaws to hold on to.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Eric Krewson

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 08:27:46 AM »
I found the copper on the ground when I was walking if I remember right. I am pretty sure it is from a telephone pole ground strap, what I found was about 6" long.