Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Pillow Ticking  (Read 810 times)

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
Re: Pillow Ticking
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 05:19:13 PM »
I bought a couple of flannel "baby blankets" at a thrift store a few years ago.  They only measured about .012" in thickness.  But they make nice cleaning patches, and; they work okay as ball patches in the smoothbore.

Back to pillow ticking.  I've used a lot of it for shooting patches and like it pretty well.  But for a good while I've bought mattress ticking, which I like better.  After washing, pillow ticking measures .015" but mattress ticking measures .020".  I also like denim, .024" and cotton canvas duck at .022".  The thicker materials work best for me although denim can be a struggle to seat in some guns.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Pillow Ticking
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 11:41:21 AM »
I cut some patches with this OLF material this morning and just for the heck of it, I took a mic reading on several of them and they actually read at a hard press reading .019 to .020... So, I'm going to update my previous post and call them - (.019 to .020).  :bl th up

The other night when I was taking readings, I didn't have the best light - but in actual daylight I believe I'm getting a better reading. The old Walmart material I've been using also measured .019 to .020 with a good hard press and good light to read the results in.  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska