Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Traditional Muzzleloading On YouTube - And The Need Of Our TMA  (Read 321 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Traditional Muzzleloading On YouTube - And The Need Of Our TMA
« on: October 09, 2017, 11:17:12 PM »
I don't know how many of you get on YouTube and watch the "traditional muzzleloading" videos like I do, (there are some real good ones), and there are some absolutely horrible ones! I'm always thankful we have the TMA to help get folks started off in the right direction if needed, not only safety wise, but in all aspects of this sport/hobby.

I just saw a video where a young man actually loaded a .50 cal Hawken style rifle like a smoothbore because he can't start a patched ball down the bore. He put his powder in, then shoved a patch down on top of the powder, then dropped a ball in and tapped it down... Well the ball farted out and went through a computer tower (maybe 25 yards away it looked like), but talk about not being safe as that ball could have rolled forward in the barrel before he ever fired the rifle.

It was nice to see that some knowledgeable folks posted him some good advice in a very nice way, and it was well received by him.  I think the young man (I hope) is on the right track now, and it sound as if he did appreciated it.

Now all this got me to thinking... How many Organizations (and I'm only talking Organizations) out there that pertain to traditional muzzleloading will give out free advise like we do here, not only to our Members, but our Non Members (Guests) as well? I really can't think of a one... We at least invite all in and we're willing to share our knowledge and information with folks in need, and we've never demanded nor hounded anyone to become a TMA Member...  I think this speaks highly of our Organization as we've got some mighty good folks here.  :shake
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 11:19:48 PM by Ohio Joe »
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Re: Traditional Muzzleloading On YouTube - And The Need Of Our TMA
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 01:58:24 PM »
Well said Joe!

For some reason I just can't get the thought of that ball rolling down the barrel out of my mind. WOW!  :pray:

And then I think how many times this or similar has happened before, but was never mentioned for fear of being called an idiot?
Yes Sir, the possibilities of carelessness is ever present, but good instruction before hand can sure be a God send.
All it takes is that one question that someone somewhere was too embarrassed to ask.  :bow

:hairy

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 01:52:19 PM »
It's not necessarily what people know that gets them into trouble; rather it's what they think they know that just ain't so!! :bow :P
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 03:37:43 PM »
It's not necessarily what people know that gets them into trouble; rather it's what they think they know that just ain't so!! :bow :P

That's a fact! 

Now I don't know if this young man bought this rifle new or used,,, but if new, why not read the instructions? Maybe he did, and maybe he didn't understand them, and maybe he just thought he was so smart that he'd figure it out?  Who knows what goes through some people's mind's?

One sad thing is that most of us here when we got into this sport/hobby, we had plenty of traditional muzzleloading clubs across the country to go seek help and information if we needed it, and we could learn from these folks at these clubs. 

Now in this computer age, beginners (in my opinion) don't bother reading the instruction manual, (or if they do - they don't really understand what they're reading) so they just get online and search out information,,, and sadly, if they don't get good accurate information - they just don't know any different. Now this probably doesn't pertain to everyone, but I believe it does pertain to some.

At least there still are some muzzleloading clubs out there in our country, and I urge anyone who is new to the game, to go visit a club (if possible) or come here to the TMA... We'll get you on track.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska