Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Food for thought: Target contrast & maybe shape and accuracy  (Read 404 times)

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
Food for thought: Target contrast & maybe shape and accuracy
« on: October 10, 2017, 09:49:19 AM »
After only so-so results on the 2017 silhouette targets, which I can see well enough (but not always hit :laffing :Doh!), I've come to the realization that maybe the contrast and possibly shape of the target was contributing to my less-than-laser-like shooting.  To wit, on two occasions immediately after practicing on silhouette targets, particularly the chicken, I put up a NMLRA 25 yd. Postal Match target (black, ~3", 8  -> X-rings) and actually did pretty well with it. :pray:  (See PDF attachment below.)   My guess is that the contrast and possibly the shape of the NMLRA target were beneficial...at least to me.  In the weeks to come, I'm going to test this idea (which I naturally came to after the silhouette match :Doh!) with the chicken target, but blackened.  I'll let you know whether it works or not.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 06:14:32 PM by Maven »

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Food for thought: Target contrast & maybe shape and accuracy
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 09:35:46 PM »
After only so-so results on the 2017 silhouette targets, which I can see well enough (but not always hit :laffing :Doh!), I've come to the realization that maybe the contrast and possibly shape of the target was contributing to my less-than-laser-like shooting.  To wit, on two occasions immediately after practicing on silhouette targets, particularly the chicken, I put up a NMLRA 25 yd. Postal Match target (black, ~3", 8  -> X-rings) and actually did pretty well with it. :pray:  (See PDF attachment below.)   My guess is that the contrast and possibly the shape of the NMLRA target were beneficial...at least to me.  In the weeks to come, I'm going to test this idea (which I naturally came to after the silhouette match :Doh!) with the chicken target, but blackened.  I'll let you know whether it works or not.

Maven, I wish you the best on those October Targets my friend! You've got a good eye for detail, and I think you're gonna do just fine... :bl th up

We've all had our ups and downs in this Pilot season of silhouettes, and regardless of the out-come, we did 'er by golly and that's something to be proud of! Everybody's a winner in my book!  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 12:25:30 AM »

Maven, Shooting  Silhouette is just about as good of a shoot  as one can find today.
It has been around a very long time, going back to when live animals were once used.

But one of the great things about this game is that you are always taking notes...notes are wonderful, even if it's little more than time of day, the shoes you wore today, or the amount of coffee you did or didn't drank this morning.

I am tickled Pink reading things like you write, because I can 'feel' you're into the Silly-Wet thing.

Fun, ain't it!  :bow

Uncle Russ..

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 11:13:51 AM »
Joe & Russ, Thank you for your kind words and encouragement! :toast  I guess I really am into silhouettes as I just stopped by [the local] Staples on the way home from the gym to have copies of the blackened chicken made.  We'll see if a black silhouette makes a difference. :pray:  Btw, if any one else is going to do this be aware that your computer, scanner, and/or copier will reduce the size of the chicken by ~10%.

Thanks again, guys! :hairy

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 08:32:40 PM »
Maven, there is one bright spot my friend... The Silhouette Targets I sent to everyone when they signed up for 2017, and the ones I'll send when you'all sign up in 2018,,, everybody's a shootin' the same size... So, here's the bright spot... Practicing on smaller silhouettes may not be a bad idea. :)
 Silhouettes... it's an addictive Match, both fun and frustrating, and habit forming at the same time... Sounds like everything we need in a good ol' shootin' match.  :shake :bl th up

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 11:38:27 AM »
Optical illusions. On the sillouette course, i can hit the left faceing chicken, all day long. But turn it around, and i'm done. Until one day, i figrued it out. I had been concentrating on the legs as an aiming point. NOT. Center of the back, then down, is the place to be. Grid search the -center mass-, then, -believe it-.
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 12:42:55 PM »
Good advice Buzzard.   :bl th up

I got to thinking after reading your post, and I recalled the few times we've shot metal chickens at the local Range, they were facing left. I guess in a way, our TMA Chickens facing right is kind'a our TMA signature for our silhouette game. Actually, all our paper silhouettes face right.  :shake