Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Primitive biathlons  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
Primitive biathlons
« on: November 06, 2017, 03:53:11 PM »
Just puttin out a feeler....

We, the TMA members, have pretty much  taken over running a primitive biathlon in Rochester, MN. One of the fellas that comes down to participate in this event helps to run shoots at Forts Folle Avoine in west central WI. They have decided to give the primitive biathlon a try, and we have the opportunity to get involved helping out with this event as well. Because it would mean getting you involved, I just want to open this for discussion to see if there is enough interest for us to help with this event. We do have the board's go-ahead.

The 2018 Folle Avoine Biathlon will be mid-February, probably a week ahead of the Rochester event.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:03:18 PM by Riley/MN »
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
Re: Primitive biathlons
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 04:41:57 PM »
Nope!

That would be about like you Yanks coming down here and going on a 100 mile 'walk' in August when it's 110F with 98% humidity!! :Doh! ::)
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 05:36:12 PM »
 :lol sign
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 06:39:01 PM »
A local ML club sponsors one every January, but I have neither the equipment (snowshoes, primitive attire, etc.) nor the interest in attending or freezing my keister off while doing so.  Sorry, but it's not for me.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 08:22:17 PM »
Riley, I am all for the TMA's involvement ......as long as you have enough local volunteers to handle it.

I do think Riley's question was "Should the TMA take this Biathlon by providing our support".
I don't think he was looking for folks to make the Trek to the event to help out.

I know we have a few TMA members in that area, but I have no clue as to how many would pitch in to help this effort.

For those who may not know, Riley has run a similar but separate event for years with the blessings, and encouragement of our Membership to do just that.

Maybe Riley should describe the event a bit better for the benefit of those who may not  fully understand the program.
IMHO, This does present another ideal opportunity for unity, for the TMA to help grow the Organization.

Uncle Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 08:35:03 PM »
Riley, I am all for the TMA's involvement ......as long as you have enough local volunteers to handle it.

I do think Riley's question was "Should the TMA take this Biathlon by providing our support".
I don't think he was looking for folks to make the Trek to the event to help out.

I know we have a few TMA members in that area, but I have no clue as to how many would pitch in to help this effort.

For those who may not know, Riley has run a similar but separate event for years with the blessings, and encouragement of our Membership to do just that.

Maybe Riley should describe the event a bit better for the benefit of those who may not  fully understand the program.
IMHO, This does present another ideal opportunity unity for the TMA to help grow the Organization.

Uncle Russ...

Agreed! My comment was basically a stab at a little humor cuz by golly if there's anything needed in this country right now...it's a bit of humor! Living down here in the Southlands....God is somewhat kind to us in the fact that even though we do have some cold weather.....He doesn't jam it down on top of us all at one time kinda like He does to the Yanks! When we got LJs on them Yanks are running around in T shirts by golly! So it ain't likely I'm gonna put on snowshoes and go on a trek...in freezing or snowy weather but I understand there's some that will so if they be some TMA members up that way what want to help.....I'm all for it! I'll just stay home and feed the fireplace!! :toast :bl th up :hairy

:hairy If only I was 40 again............ :toast :bl th up
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 09:14:36 PM by Hawken »
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 09:10:13 PM »
Here's a short video of what a Primitive Biathlon is about;

I really wish I could go to the one Riley is trying to gather support for. To me, if it's anything like the one in the video above, I think it can only be good times! Really wish I could go and pitch in with my support of these events, but it's just not in the cards at this time. Good luck Riley, and to all who can make it! Have a great time!  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 10:25:13 PM »
I wish I could help, but I am needed here in snowless SE Ohio.  Haven't used the webs since we left Alaska.  If you need to borrow some, I have a pair of Alaska trail shoes and two pairs of the army magnesium frame ones.  How to get them to you might take a bit of ingenuity....

~Kees~

Neat video, by the way!
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 08:00:41 AM »
Riley you know what my helth is and has got'n a lot werce since June.I will see Brian Kendell and I'm sure at least he can make it but I will give it my best shot to be there.will they nead plunder for prizes?Let me know date and time.
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 12:12:32 PM »
Will they need plunder for prizes?Let me know date and time.

:bl th up  +1

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Riley/MN

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 12:43:29 PM »
I have been to the Smugglers Notch event and the Hanson MA event. That is what prompted me to get one started here in MN. If we could get a third of the competitors that they get out there it would be exciting! Maybe by adding this second event (3 hrs farther north) the first event will grow too!

Prize donations are one of the things they are definitely looking for!

Don, sorry to hear of the decline of your health. Let me know if I can do anything. I think we will be up to Cambridge on Saturday to take Dad to lunch...
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Offline Riley/MN

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 12:48:29 PM »
Oh, and a friend of mine has one of them new-fangled flyin camera things. I am hoping to get some good footage of the local event this year!
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 06:19:32 PM »
I always wanted to try and have a primitive biathalon in my neck o th woods. We get some pretty good snowfall and I know of some likely places to hold it. Fun times Riley!

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 08:18:31 PM »
Oh, and a friend of mine has one of them new-fangled flyin camera things. I am hoping to get some good footage of the local event this year!

That would be really fun to watch. I hope that pans out for sure!  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 08:21:09 PM »
If you need some prizes, I could probably come up with a couple to donate. I love snow camping and wish somebody around here would put something like this on.  :bl th up
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe