Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Where do you live?  (Read 1225 times)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Where do you live?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 11:13:45 PM »
I have had a tipi, a Baker tent and a 12' pyramid and I certainly agree with you Rondo about the Pyramid.
When I got back from our club RDV I used to set my Pyramid up at the house and we would spend the rest of the summer in it until it just got too cold for us.  And like so many other things, I dun went and sold the silly thing.  Another mistake.  Of course, here in LaLaLand, I really do not have the room to set it up, nor the space to store it.  So there you go.
And again, I ask myself, what the heck am I doing here?  Well, it's complicated.

John
I hear ya John :laffing,.... back in the early 70's when I got into rendezvooing I just had to try out the old saying Go big,... or, go home, so my first "tent" was a 22' Tipi. :o :)
That thing would have been great if I had just set it up and lived in it.  :laffing It didn't take long to figger out "setting up and tearing down" was too much like work, so I sold it.

My second tent was a 10'x12' wall tent,... and then I bought a 14' pyramid and sold the wall tent to a friend in Oregon.

After a couple of years with the pyramid, a fella offered to trade me his 18' camping trailer for it, so we traded.  :shake

I only used the trailer a couple of times then sold it and bought a 16' pyramid.
It traveled up to Alaska with me and got used a LOT,... then I sold it, and bought my 2nd. 14' pyramid, which I still have (and will probably never part with).  :)

As the score stands now, I've tried,....
1--- 22' Tipi
1--- 10x12 wall tent
1--- 18' camping trailer
2--- 14' pyramids
1--- 16' pyramid
1--- 7x9 wedge tent (that I gave to my son soon after I got it)
..... and along the way, several leanto's and diamond shelters for primitive ("historically correct") camping.

Nowadays, I mostly just take my trusty 14' pyramid and a 10x12 "fly" that I can put up for extra shade or use as a windbreak.  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline windwalker_au

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 08:19:43 AM »
well if some of you don't already know I live in western Australia we call it the nannie  state or la la land and some times the hey you cant do that state.
I live in Armadale 22 miles south of the state capitol Perth. the link below gives the population and the area of WA.
https://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=howbig+is+western&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4JENT_en-GBAU718AU718&q=how+big+is+western+australia+&gs_l=hp..0.0i22i30l5.0.0.0.13156...........0.2jucFPv3fVg&gws_rd=ssl

Bernie :bl th up
IF ITS FERIL ITS IN PERIL

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 01:54:58 PM »
well if some of you don't already know I live in western Australia we call it the nannie  state or la la land and some times the hey you cant do that state.
I live in Armadale 22 miles south of the state capitol Perth. the link below gives the population and the area of WA.
https://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=howbig+is+western&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4JENT_en-GBAU718AU718&q=how+big+is+western+australia+&gs_l=hp..0.0i22i30l5.0.0.0.13156...........0.2jucFPv3fVg&gws_rd=ssl

Bernie :bl th up

:hairy
Thanks Bernie!

As for myself I live in Central Washington, in the Columbia Basin, in a small town called "Moses Lake".
It is truly an oasis in the middle of what was once a empty desert.
The entire area is now Irrigated by Grand Coulee Dam...Grand Coulee Dam construction started in 1933 and first produced electricity in 1941.
(Folk singers during the Great Depression, like Woodie Guthrie, were inspired by the Columbia River, the great Dam, and the working man of the Great Depression era.)

"Grand Coulee Dam is the largest concrete structure ever built. Several other dams in the world are larger, but they include earthen berms (when completed 2009, the Three Gorges Dam in China will be roughly three times the size of Grand Coulee). Grand Coulee is 450-500 feet thick at its base and 30 feet thick at the top, and it contains 11,975,521 cubic yards (9,155,944 cubic meters) of concrete, three times as much as Hoover Dam".

When it comes to the little town itself, I found this in Wikipedia:
"The City of Moses Lake, Moses Lake and Moses Coulee, were named for Columbia-Sinkiuse tribal leader Chief Moses (1829-1899). For centuries the tribal peoples camped along the shores of Moses Lake collecting roots and the eggs of waterfowl. With the arrival of white settlers competition for access to natural waterways created an uneasy tension in the basin surrounding Moses Lake. Traditional Native lands gave way to livestock range. Not long after that, private irrigation replaced grazing lands with a patchwork of orchards.

Moses Lake, originally platted as Neppel in 1911, gave birth to a highly profitable lakeside orchard industry. However, growth of the tiny town was limited by battles over water rights and the withering effects of the Great Depression. As the apple market crashed the orchards were pulled up and replaced by fields of potatoes and onions. A carp seining operation, cheese factory and several other private enterprises were also abandoned during the slump."

I live on what is known as "The Peninsula"...The Lake itself is a bit over 7 miles long and about 3/4 Mile wide, with another, much larger lake, know as "Potholes" at the Southern spillway of Moses Lake.....both are a part of the Columbia Basin Irrigation System.
An aerial view of the surrounding area today would reveal many "Crop Circles", many covering as much as 200 to 300 acres in volume....the once desert area of the 1920's and 1930's is now seen as one more "World Bread Basket" with crops flourishing, and planting going on year round.

Here are some pictures, courtesy of our local Chamber of Commerce.

An Aerial view of "Potholes Lake" and a part of Moses Lake.....Interstate I-90 runs across the late, and a part of "The Penninsula", where I live.

This is a partial view of 7 mile long Moses Lake, with Potholes Lake to the South and not in this photo.

From Moses Lake, looking toward the town itself, and Interstate I-90....to the right of the picture is the Boat Launch, a Swimming area, and since 2014, a 120' Public Fishing Pier, donated to the City by the Columbia Basin Walleye Club.

There is even a place for weddings......

And, a place on the lake for kids to play.....

A typical "Welcome" sign, to our many out of town visitors.

I moved here in 2006. This was to be my retirement home, mostly because I dearly love to hunt and fish.
Several of our members have been to my house to visit, and for many of them I have tried to show what is really here, but for those just passing through on the Interstate, they never get to know everything this little town has to offer...That was me years ago. I came here to fish, and park my RV on the Lake.
I had no idea, until I actually lived here for a year or so, but this little podunk town in the middle of the desert has plenty to offer, with snow capped mountains all around us and about one hour away, it gives my wife and I the best of both worlds.

Welcome to Moses Lake!

Uncle Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 03:17:57 PM »
Russ,.... I noticed the pitchers of folks swimmin' amongst them Palm Trees. :o :)

I thought you mentioned scoopin' snow recently,.... must'a been somebody else judging from your pitchers.  ;D ;) :laffing
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 04:10:31 PM »
Russ,.... I noticed the pitchers of folks swimmin' amongst them Palm Trees. :o :)

I thought you mentioned scoopin' snow recently,.... must'a been somebody else judging from your pitchers.  ;D ;) :laffing

Yeah, that is funny, Palm Tress in the PNW.... :lol sign
There may be some real Palm Trees here, but I haven't seen 'em.

That picture of swimming and the Palm Trees is all a part of the "Surf & Slide Water Park"...those Palm Trees are all totally fake,  I don't know for sure what they're made of, probably plastic.
There's also a huge look-alike Clam Shell in the background that makes up the Amphitheater for use in the summer.

Right now that whole area is frozen solid.
I'm pretty sure all the slides and "stuff" are all removed after the park closes in the summer, about late Dec. / early Jan. that area becomes a public skating rink.

(My Granddaughter gets a season pass there during the summer.....and it ain't what I would call 'cheap')

Uncle Russ....

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 04:36:00 PM »
Russ,.... We don't got any Palm Trees here on the plains neither. ☹️

I hope you're staying warm,.... temp here is supposed to get up to 70 degrees here today, with a high of 33 forecasted for tomorrow.  :o

TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 04:51:41 PM »
I'll be in Wenatchee overnight, and I won't be doing any shoveling.
When I get home, now that will be another story.

Could you bring me a big old juicy, vein hardening, Big Mac Hamburger about 10pm tonight.
I ain't real good at this fasting nonsense, makes Russ a dull boy, if ya get me drift.

"But this too shall come to pass".... it's just that this 'coming to pass' business just ain't coming fast enough for a fella that likes to eat every now and then.

Betcha I have Biscuits and Gravy when I get back home!

Uncle Russ...

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 05:32:53 PM »
I'll be in Wenatchee overnight, and I won't be doing any shoveling.
When I get home, now that will be another story.

Could you bring me a big old juicy, vein hardening, Big Mac Hamburger about 10pm tonight.
I ain't real good at this fasting nonsense, makes Russ a dull boy, if ya get me drift.

"But this too shall come to pass".... it's just that this 'coming to pass' business just ain't coming fast enough for a fella that likes to eat every now and then.

Betcha I have Biscuits and Gravy when I get back home!

Uncle Russ...
Now you're makin' me hungry.  :laffing
My wife has had me on the "Whole30" diet for a while now, so it seems like years since I've had me some good ol' biscuts'n gravy. (come on Mar. 2nd., hurry up and get here.  :laffing)
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 08:22:38 PM »
A rather unique and interesting area, Russ.  Home is where you hang your hat as they say!  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Lonewolfe20

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Member # 757 Expires 7/25/2020, Member & State Representative.
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 12:31:21 PM »
Nice post uncle Russ
70 degrees Rolling B
Man I wanted to report that post to the moderator for unnecessary comments!
Hahahhahah
We won't see that till end of May when planting season gets here.

NRA Member
State Representative for South Dakota, contact me for more SD info
TMA #757

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 12:32:25 PM »
A rather unique and interesting area, Russ.  Home is where you hang your hat as they say!  :hairy

OR

Observing a homeless person who was sleeping on a sidewalk the other day, "Home is where you park your shopping cart."
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 02:06:37 PM »
Nice post uncle Russ
70 degrees Rolling B
Man I wanted to report that post to the moderator for unnecessary comments!
Hahahhahah
We won't see that till end of May when planting season gets here.
Yep,.... 70 degrees yesterday, and 35 degrees today with a high of 26 forecasted for tomorrow.  :laffing

It IS nice to get a warm day every once'n a while (a pleasant break in the monotony of winter).  :bl th up
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 08:38:03 PM »

OR

Observing a homeless person who was sleeping on a sidewalk the other day, "Home is where you park your shopping cart."

And that's true too.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2018, 04:35:56 PM »
No fur and/or mountain man museum here in Kingston, NY (95 mi. north of NYC on the west shore of the Hudson R.), but there was a lively fur trade in the 17th century between the Dutch, who first settled our fair city, and the Esopus Indians (local groups of Lenni Lenape's/Delawares/Algonquins) and the Mohawks to the north. As we're in the foothills of the Catskill Mts., we had "mountain men" trappers too.  Btw, at various times our area was known for furniture manufacture, tanning, bluestone quarrying, brick & cement production, corn & apple production (still are big cash crops), and the Delaware & Hudson Canal, which moved coal from PA -> Kingston -> NYC until the railroad rendered it obsolete.  Also, lots of knitting mills & shirt factories (Gant & Manhattan shirts, for ex.) and a huge IBM plant (now closed).  Owing to the natural beauty of the area and opportunities for recreation, tourism is a major "industry."  As we're a small city in a rural county (Ulster), there are lots of opportunities for hunting and ML (and CF) shooting just beyond our borders.  Indeed, there's usually a BP/ML Shoot ~every 3 weeks. 

You can see photos of various places in Ulster Co. by googling Ulster County Photographs or just take a look at this:  https://www.huffingtonpost.com/malerie-yolencohen/18-fabulous-reasons-to-vi_b_12759638.html
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 03:42:57 PM by Maven »