Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Little known tidbit of naval history  (Read 423 times)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Little known tidbit of naval history
« on: July 03, 2018, 09:40:05 PM »
The U. S. S. Constitution (Old Ironsides), as a combat vessel, carried 48,600 gallons of fresh water for her crew of 475 officers and men. This was sufficient to last six months of sustained operations at sea. She carried no evaporators (i.e. fresh water distillers).

However, let it be noted that according to her ship's log, "On July 27, 1798, the U.S.S. Constitution sailed from Boston with a full complement of 475 officers and men, 48,600 gallons of fresh water, 7,400 cannon shot, 11,600 pounds of black powder and 79,400 gallons of rum."

Her mission: "To destroy and harass English shipping." Making Jamaica on 6 October, she took on 826 pounds of flour and 68,300 gallons of rum.
Then she headed for the Azores , arriving there 12 November. She provisioned with 550 pounds of beef and 64,300 gallons of Portuguese wine.

On 18 November, she set sail for England .. In the ensuing days she defeated five British men-of-war and captured and scuttled 12 English merchant ships, salvaging only the rum aboard each.

By 26 January, her powder and shot were exhausted. Nevertheless, although unarmed she made a night raid up the Firth of Clyde in Scotland .. Her landing party captured a whisky distillery and transferred 40,000 gallons of single malt Scotch aboard by dawn. Then she headed home.

The U. S. S. Constitution arrived in Boston on 20 February 1799, with no cannon shot, no food, no powder, no rum, no wine, no whisky, and 38,600 gallons of water.
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: Little known tidbit of naval history
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 09:41:53 PM »
They seem to have the right attitude.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 11:51:34 PM »
According to my figures,.... 475 men drank (more than) 252,000 gallons of booze, VS a measely 10,000 gallons of fresh water, during their 7 months at sea.  :bow :toast :laffing
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 06:29:37 AM »
I'd drink the rum too. Imagine how foul and stagnant that water would be down in the belly of that ship.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 08:32:40 AM »
I'd drink the rum too. Imagine how foul and stagnant that water would be down in the belly of that ship.
Hank,.... I think you're right, their "fresh water" probably wasn't very fresh after a period of time, and likely even had some "critters and vermin" floatin' in it.  :o
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 02:00:07 PM »
Water's not fit to drink when you have Rum... :lol sign

That was a good read, Rondo!  :bl th up

On a side note;

I once heard Paul Harvey give the real reason the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock... They were out of beer and couldn't drink the water. They also felt they couldn't drink the water in the new world so their first order of business was to make beer. Don't know what their beer was made from but I expect it was a high Indian corn alcohol content...  :toast
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline SharpStick

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: State Represenative, AZ
  • TMA Member: Membership #806 Expires 8/11/2021
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 05:07:48 PM »
According to my figures,.... 475 men drank (more than) 252,000 gallons of booze, VS a measely 10,000 gallons of fresh water, during their 7 months at sea.  :bow :toast :laffing

According to that I figure about 2 1/2 gallons a day per man - not counting spillage.  :toast
The trouble with doing things right the first time is no one realizes how hard it was.
Often, however, the following is more applicable.
I stand corrected, a position somewhat painful to achieve, but once there, is quite satisfying.

Posts starting 6/20/20 - 151
Posts ending  9/20/20 - (?)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 08:18:16 PM »

According to that I figure about 2 1/2 gallons a day per man - not counting spillage.  :toast
SharpStick,.... I told my wife what you just posted, and that she shouldn't be concerned if I drink 1 piddly little gallon a day at rendezvous.  :laffing :toast
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline RonC

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 741
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 10:35:02 AM »
During that time, even the water on land was grossly polluted and unpalatable. Every city waterway was contaminated with sewage. That is one reason that so much beer was imbibed. At least the beer was free of the disease causing organisms and could supply well-needed hydration. Rum was another favorite.
There is evidence that rum was distilled in the early colonial villages like Williamsburg. They used lead for making the distillation coils because it was malleable and waterproof. Analysis of colonial bone fragments showed high levels of lead, suggesting that lead poisoning was widespread in early, colonial America.
I have to get the lead out and go do some work. 8)
Ron