Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Getting Ready For Rendezvous  (Read 515 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Getting Ready For Rendezvous
« on: June 25, 2017, 04:10:48 PM »
Ok, decided not to set up the big wall tent this year since it'll just be me at the doings, and maybe my 7 year old grandson might spend a night or two... So,,, rather then the big tent and canopy - I opted for my small A-Frame tent and it needed an awning/canopy so I altered a painters lite weight canvas tarp (10 oz - 9 x 12) to give me some shade. Most likely it won't shed water, but if it rains I can let it down. Here's what she looks like;

Nothing fancy by any means, but it gives shade!  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
Re: Getting Ready For Rendezvous
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 04:17:27 PM »
nothing wrong with that set-up cept it crimps up on your archery range a might. ;)
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 05:30:25 PM »
That's a fact, Hank... It won't be in the yard tonight as I'm gonna take it down and set it back up - probably on the 4th or 5th of July over at the Rendezvous site.  :bl th up

By the way, I did stain the canopy poles with black walnut. The raw color of the wood just didn't look right to me...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 07:48:41 PM by Ohio Joe »

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 07:57:58 PM »
Looks good Joe! :bl th up
Enjoy yourself at the Rondy, and be safe.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 08:35:11 PM »
Thanks Russ.  :shake

The Rondy will be here before we know it, and now I need to turn my attention towards my camp cooking "kitchen" items, food, beverage, chairs, table, clothing, and all those other things we find comforting... Just a matter of gathering the things up around here. One of these years I'm going to try just a bed roll, flint & steel, my rifle, knife, and hawk, and see what the heck happens...  :laffing

Offline rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 10:01:05 PM »
I'll be bringin' a few 10'X10' flys to the rondy, a couple of'em will be in the form of leanto "kits". Each leanto "kit" come's complete with poles, 12" stakes, stake bag, ropes, and rope tensioners.
The poles ain't "finished" (stained or painted), as I figger that's kind of a personal choice for whoever wants a "kit".

I've been makin' some of these for personal use and family members, and whoever wants to purchase a "kit" and finish it.
I bought a 50 yard roll of canvas (150' long X 5' wide) just before the Kit Carson rondy, and I've just about went through the whole roll. If I can talk my wife into goin' to a couple rondies in Wyoming this summer, I'll have to order another roll for them doins'.  :laffing 
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 11:42:52 PM »
Packed up the Exploder and headed north on June 1. Took a roundabout route and got into Coeur d'Alene on 6/7.  Went to the RDV site the next day and helped set targets, etc.  it started on 6/9 so I decided I would embarrass myself before the crowd got there.  Good idea, my lack of practice showed.  I didn't have the worst score, but was far from the top.  Then I tried the knife and hawk trail and good grief, even worse than the rifle.  Thank goodness for dress points.
The next Saturday we stopped by the Hog Heaven RDV in Troy, ID.  Hard to believe, but I got the same score.
The really wonderful part of the whole exercise is that we got to see people who we haven't seen in years.  Some that we haven't seen since we moved.  That beat any winning score that I might have gotten. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 11:47:01 PM by bigsmoke »
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 08:14:59 AM »
I'll be bringin' a few 10'X10' flys to the rondy, a couple of'em will be in the form of leanto "kits". Each leanto "kit" come's complete with poles, 12" stakes, stake bag, ropes, and rope tensioners.
The poles ain't "finished" (stained or painted), as I figger that's kind of a personal choice for whoever wants a "kit".

I've been makin' some of these for personal use and family members, and whoever wants to purchase a "kit" and finish it.
I bought a 50 yard roll of canvas (150' long X 5' wide) just before the Kit Carson rondy, and I've just about went through the whole roll. If I can talk my wife into goin' to a couple rondies in Wyoming this summer, I'll have to order another roll for them doins'.  :laffing

That's a good idea Rondo! Looking forward to seeing one of these.  :bl th up

Offline rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 10:33:12 AM »

That's a good idea Rondo! Looking forward to seeing one of these.  :bl th up
They make a great inexpensive and light-weight shelter, and can also be set up as a "diamond" shelter if one so chooses.  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 11:01:41 AM »
not all painters tarps are made the same. The tighter weave ones will shed water if hung at a good angle. They will swell and keep most of the water out, and will possibly give you a more historically accurate 18th C tenting experience.