Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Nessmuk Rifle  (Read 323 times)

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Nessmuk Rifle
« on: August 08, 2017, 10:18:37 PM »
I was thinking about my "Woodcraft" book by Nessmuk (nom de plume for George W. Sears) in the middle of the night last night.  He went on a trek across a wilderness area of Michigan, carrying very little except his rifle, hatchet, some food and trail items in a knapsack.  The rifle was what got me up to dig my copy of his book out.  This is his only description:

"My rifle was a neat, hair-triggered Billinghurst, carrying sixty round balls to the pound, a muzzle-loader of course, and a nail-driver."

So what caliber was this underhammer muzzle-loader?  This morning I dug out my Hoag's "Engineering and Technical Handbook" and found the unit weight for lead is 708 lbs./cubic foot and (for a refresher, I learned this in high school) the volume of a sphere is 4/3 x pi x radius3

To convert the unit weight to one pound I divided 1728 cubic inches in a cubic foot (12 inches cubed) by 708 and got 2.440 in3 make one pound of lead.  I then divided that by 60, since there were 60 round ball to the pound for Nessmuk's rifle, and got 0.0407 in3 per ball.

I plugged that number in for volume in the formula and solved for the radius:

0.0407 in3 = 4/3 x pi x r3    r3 = .0407 in3 x 3/(4 x pi)
       r3 = 0.00971 in3,  taking the cube root gives us a radius of 0.21335 inch. 
       Since bore is the diameter, we multiply the radius by two and find that it is 0.427 caliber.

Therefor Nessmuk's rifle was a tad larger than Rob's .40, and a tad smaller than Hanshi's (and my) .45.

~WH~

P.s. - Any engineering types on the site please let me know if I screwed something up!
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
Re: Nessmuk Rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 05:06:13 AM »
Ummm. Looks right to me. :Doh!
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online dmarsh

• TMA Member: Member #798
Re: Nessmuk Rifle
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 10:23:41 AM »
I think you are right on. :applaud The only pi I know has blackberries in it. :laffing

Dave
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne