Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Patch Material & Fabric Stores  (Read 384 times)

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
Patch Material & Fabric Stores
« on: August 30, 2017, 06:39:59 PM »
I went to the local JoAnn Fabric store yesterday looking for .020" - .021" 100% cotton patching to replace my fast dwindling supply. After looking at and measuring a lot of fabric, I found cotton duck, which is a duplicate of what I'm now using:  That's the good news.  While I was there, I also measured the pillow ticking, since I need some .018" patches.  In short, I found some, but they only had one bolt, and no longer carry the thicker, outdoor variety.  That's sort of the bad news.  They had thinner ticking, but only red- and blue striped.  The worse news is that the .018" blue striped ticking is indistinguishable from the .014" - .015" ticking.  The lesson to be learned here is to take a micrometer with you when you shop for patching material, as looks and feel are deceiving.  Btw, JoAnn carries a nice selection of 100% cotton denim in case your gun is happiest with that material.

P.S.  The above fabric thickness is a compressed reading.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Patch Material & Fabric Stores
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 07:07:38 PM »
I'm going to have to start thinking about pillow ticking pretty soon myself. I use to buy it from Walmart, and it was .018 (all 100% cotton)... Now, it has polyester in it according to the sticker. I had heard this was going to happen, but really didn't believe it,,, but I guess it's true. I doubt I'll run of patching material for a couple years, but I like to keep a long term supply on hand, so I guess I best get looking.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 08:05:48 PM »
At my Joanne's the price of pillow ticking shot up to $15 a yard. For that price, it's probably cheaper to buy the strips from TOW. It used to be $7 a yard and, with a 50 percent off coupon, it was a decent deal. I use cotton flannel diaper fabric to make my own cleaning patches, and have for years, and the price of that is still reasonable.
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 10:41:33 AM »
"I use cotton flannel diaper fabric to make my own cleaning patches, and have for years, and the price of that is still reasonable."

Amen to this, amm1851! :hairy

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 07:51:12 PM »
Diaper fabric also makes dandy dish towels.  Just make sure to wash the diaper first... :o

~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025