Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Blowing down barrel  (Read 4884 times)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 12:18:02 PM »
There's a BIG difference 'tween blowin' down the barrel of an "unloaded" gun and a "loaded" gun,... the trick is bein' intelligent enough to know the difference 'tween the two.  Which suggests to me,... that those that came up with such a rule, probably lack such intelligence themselves, so it makes sense to'em. :roll eyes  :rotf
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 12:32:51 PM »
I do it because I love the taste of black powder in the morning! :)
Member #420 Expires 3/1/13

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 01:54:07 PM »
I understand why some folks are skittish, as they "feel" that a shooter might not notice a lack of recoil and no puff of smoke between his muzzle and his target, and since the shooter might've pulled the trigger when his neighbor also did, the shooter might think he'd fired.  Then, without knowing it might blow directly down the barrel.   :shock:    After all, they could load a 20 or 28 gauge shell into their 12 gauge by accident, (hey it could be the same unsupervised kid mentioned in a previous post!!) and then load a second shell, a proper 12 gauge shell, into the same barrel and blow themselves and bystanders up.   8)

I think there is much greater probability that you'll have nicky newguy on the range with his new traditional caplock, and load modern powder into it as he is an "experienced" muzzleloader shooter and his inline will shoot the same powder, and blow himself to kingdom-come.  But I will also bet nobody checks the propellants being used on the range.  Even if in a proper can there's nothing stoppin the guy from putting his last ounce of smokeless powder into his new can of BP, again 'cause his inline shoots the stuff just fine.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2009, 07:18:53 PM »
This topic will come up from time to time and it can really generate some strong opinions. I belong to the group that believes a gun should only be pointed at something you intend to shoot. After watching a guy dump the remnants in a can of black powder on a poorly burning fire a couple of years ago to help the fire,I believe anything is possible.Oh yeah the guy was ok after a few stiches and a night in the hospital.I never did find out whether they kept him overnight for mental or physical reasons and observation.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 03:47:24 AM »
One last thought,... there's NO "rule" that says anyone HAS to blow down the  barrel of their muzzleloader (if they're not comfortable doing so),... so, with that thought in mind, I'm personally not comfortable dumping a new powder charge down the barrel of a freshly fired riflegun (unless I blow 'til I no longer see smoke comin' out'a the vent before dumping).  :)
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 11:56:50 AM »
Years ago when I first started shooting muzzleloaders the old timers said that blowing down the muzzle was the thing to do.  I've always done it and will continue to do it.  It's a fact the it does soften the fowling (BPCR shooters do it with a blow tube for that reason).  Also the ember reason.  I kind of think that story about the shooter blowing his head off is an urban myth.  Also it tastes like chicken. :)
Member #420 Expires 3/1/13

Offline snapcap14

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 12:01:15 PM »
blow bown the barrel get the coals glowing so you can have a cook off. Opps i forgot I already put the powder down Woffe is my face still there.

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2009, 12:22:20 PM »
Where there's smoke, there's fire.  :b-day cake
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline LRB

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2009, 02:17:37 PM »
Over the past years, I have met two shooters who did not blow down the barrel, but do now. I have personally seen the scars. Both wounds, scars, and results the same. Both loaded soon after firing, did not blow down the barrel because "it is a dangerous practice", both had a discharge while seating the ball, both took the ramrod and ball through the palm of the right hand. Both recovered use of said hand, but with absolutely no feeling left in them. Both these guys like to shock those who don't know them by picking up hot coals bare handed to light their pipes. I met the first guy in the late seventies, the second in the late ninties. I always blow down the barrel after firing. Anybody that cannot tell that their gun fired after pulling the trigger, or did not fire, may shouldn't be shooting to begin with.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2009, 07:06:52 PM »
Quote from: "snapcap14"
blow bown the barrel get the coals glowing so you can have a cook off. Opps i forgot I already put the powder down Woffe is my face still there.

Snapcap14,... what purpose would blowing down a barrel AFTER dumping a fresh powder charge in, serve? :

The primary goal of blowing down the barrel after firing a riflegun,... is to purposely fire up any remaining smoldering embers that might linger in the breech, so that they quickly "burn up",  and thus are rendered harmless before dumping in a fresh powder charge.  :rt th

As I've mentioned before,... if you're not comfortable blowing down your barrel, there is NO rule saying you must do it,... but, by the same token, I'm perfectly comfortable with it because I know wether my gun has "fired", or, "not" whenever I pull the trigger, in fact at my age, I still like to think, that I have enough intelligence "NOT" to blow down the barrel of a "LOADED" muzzleloader that may be experiencing a "hang fire".  :)
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline snapcap14

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2009, 10:34:47 PM »
ROLLINGB you misS the point sIr. same purPose as fireing a ramrod down range. nONE
a distraction in the loading prosses AND THAT kind of thing can HAPPENS. Just like do not  put your hand over the barrel while pouring powder in, do not thumb a ball and do not push a ram rod in w the pam of your hand.
If you are that concerned about ambers do the safe thing and put a wet patch down the barrel.
i know I shoot a diffrent black powder game but try any of these unsafe practices at an N-SSA match and you will no dout find yourself off the line.
from all things I have read. there is notring that says blowing down a barrel was done way back when. its a hollywood thing.

Offline cb

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.wrtcleather.com
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2009, 11:15:41 PM »
there is notring that says blowing down a barrel was done way back when. its a hollywood thing.

Bull puckey -  (and FWIW the Hollywood "thing" is tiresome at best..)
with all due respect you have not done your research or by your statement even read what has been posted here - see Capt Jas post above or the quote below - this is just ONE  documented period source for blowing down the barrel and it is dated 1727 and there are many more if you take the time to look - and yep it went wrong but there are few others noting damage done - most in fact are just the opposite - more are of injuries received due to still burning embers such as noted by Capt Chee......
A BLOOMING Youth, who had just passed the Boy,
The Father's only Child and only Joy,
As he, intent, design'd the Larks his Prey,
Himself as sweet and innocent as They,
The fatal Powder in the Porch of Death,
Having in vain discharg'd its Flash of Breath,
The tender Reas'ner, curious to know,
Whether the Piece were really charg'd or no,
With Mouth to Mouth apply'd began to blow_
A dreadful Kiss! For now the silent Bane
Had bor'd a Passage thro' the whizzing Train_
The Shot all rent his Skull, and dashed around his Brain!
Pteryplegia Or, The Art of Shooting Flying, Markland, 1727

blow bown the barrel get the coals glowing so you can have a cook off.

Sorry but this is a misunderstanding - you more "huff" down the barrel - a big difference for those in the "know"....huffing, when done properly, adds moisture and DOES not make the "coals" glow.........

FWIW - I've been shooting muzzle stuffers since 1961 - learned how to from my grand uncle who learned from his pa pre-WW1 - and if there is ANY doubt I do not huff....period...so no danger at all.............

Shooting a ramrod down range - YOU and nobody else are responsible for such a numbnutz act - in 48 years I've seen it happen twice - both times when they should have known better........a sad happening when someone is injured (NEVER seen that), but that is Darwin's Theory at play............getting in a car and driving down the highway is MUCH more dangerous, and I'm willing to bet most here do that every day............

In modern times the only "story" touted for not "blowing" is totally unsubstantiated ....(as noted above) - it's urban myth, or whatever until ABSOLUTE proof is offered..........

Safety is good, but like anything can be taken to the ridiculous (even such well-trained gun men as Jack O'Conner have noted such........)

NSSA, NMLRA, NRA, etc. have all had to kowtow to the insurance companies (and politicians) whose representatives have generally no real world experience with firearms of any type, let alone muzzle loaders......

bottomline - if you don't want to do it don't, but DO NOT tell me what to do or make a law to stop me.............I no longer shoot with groups because of such utter nonsense - I have my own range (out to 2000 yards, which is great for 50 BMG rounds out of a Barret! - albeit most of my shtooing is done at no more than 150 with my muzzleloders or BP lever guns) - I shoot the way I want(with all due respect to common sense safety) despite the modern nanny state's desire to lock me in a box.....................
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 11:38:07 PM by cb »
Chuck Burrows aka Grey Wolf

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2009, 11:27:24 PM »
Snapcap14,... in nearly 40 years of shooting muzzleloaders, I've yet to shoot my 1st. ramrod down range. :(

I also didn't know that blowing down the barrel of a muzzleloader was a "Hollywood thng", I've never seen it done in the movies I've watched.  ;)

"IF" anyone can get my rifle to fire again after I've "fired" it (without reloading it first of course),.... I'll give it to him, and he can become the proud owner of a very nice .58 calibur Early Hawken convertible free and clear,... in fact I might be so impressed by such a feat as to include a NWTG in the deal.   :laffing

NOW,.... I'm not saying there might not come a day when I'll give up worrying about my fingers and eyebrows and blowin' down the barrel of my riflegun,... but by that time my wife will be spoon-feeding me my meals at rendezvous, and I'll probably be spending most of my time dawdlin' back and forth to the hooters anyway and won't have time to shoot in any of the competitions no-how.  :rotf
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2009, 11:43:10 PM »
so your telling me that you  know people who put powder in the bore and blow ? why ?
  are you saying they dont mark their RR so they know the barrel has a load ?

i would also like to know how you  run your RR down the bore without your hand being over the muzzle ?
 same with using a short starter , your hands over the muzzle
 do not thump a ball ?
 now how is this ? do you know that  if you dont , you could very well  have the ball off the powder ? exspecialy since  it apears  some folks dont make their RR
 thats some very VERY odd rules  your writing  about .
 i tell you this much , a club telling someone not to thump a ball  IMO would open them up for all kinds of liabilies  if someones gun blew up .
  crud  , I know long distance shooters who use a HAMMER to drive their projectiles home . some who even have spring loaded  gagets to ensure their load is packed to the same pressure every time !!!

as to being conserned ?? im not concerned , I KNOW and have seen it first hand .
 i think what people here are saying is that if your going to make a rule for safty . make that rule to cover an actual documented problem , not some made up one .
 enforce the real honest proven dangers .
IE no blowing , then YOU WILL run a wet patch .
 if the wet patch rule isnt enforced , then done enforce something people do for their own safty . just  becouse some dreamed up something

you know its funny , people suport and follow these  roomer rules put out by the NMLRA, , even though they have no documented base .
 yet  they never question why the NMLRA  accepts as safe  muzzleloading designs that have been documented to  have failures  and alow  people to shoot them as being safe ..

IMO the minute you  dictate to someone else what is and is not safe , a club just became the liable entiy when something happens  that they did not advise for or against becouse they just became the responcable group , not the shooter ..

rollingB , i think maybe he is speaking of danial day lewis in last of the mohicians  as a holly weired account .

Offline Capt. Jas.

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.longrifle.ws/artisans/artisan.asp?ID=1583&membersonly=yes
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2009, 06:00:53 AM »
There are three very great posts just above this one!!!