Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Blowing down barrel  (Read 4886 times)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2009, 12:29:19 PM »
As Captchee mentioned above,... with a properly "marked" ramrod, there's absolutely no reason to get confused as to wether any riflegun is LOADED, or NOT.  :)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline huntnut

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2009, 12:31:18 PM »
Maybe Obama should appoint a muzzleloader Czar so we can all be save, or maybe OSHA. LOL

I think its a personal choice, if you don't want to, don't. If you want to, do.

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2009, 05:11:45 PM »
Quote from: "huntnut"

...and if you blow a hole in the top of yore haid, don't come runnin ta me ta complain about it.  :lol
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
Quote from: "huntnut"

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I think that's the old "traditional" way of doing things.) :rt th  :shake
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2009, 08:05:58 PM »
try any of these unsafe practices at an N-SSA match and you will no dout find yourself off the line.

Ah YES at a range, in a match, with a caplock, is different than "always" with any type of Muzzleloader in every situation.  One can see a busted cap, but maybe not have any smoke coming from it (and perhaps not notice the recoil) , while one can actually see the smoke trailing from a touch hole on a flinter when it has fired.  One should also notice the recoil and the noise, except perhaps as previously pointed out, on a range with a group in a volley.

Captchee also pointed out it would be safer than not blowing to require a damp cloth run down the bore after every shot.  

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shinmiyangyo.org
  • TMA Member: 424
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2009, 10:09:32 PM »
Quote from: "rollingb"
As Captchee mentioned above,... with a properly "marked" ramrod, there's absolutely no reason to get confused as to wether any riflegun is LOADED, or NOT.  :)

How do you mark your rr?  More than one mark?  Empty, ball, ball and powder?
Member #424

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2009, 10:42:50 PM »
Quote from: "bluelake"
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2009, 11:09:06 PM »
Thanks, rollingb.
Member #424

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2009, 12:23:19 AM »
Bluelake,... I might also mention that a second "mark" can be added to the ramrod when the gun has no charge,... this will tell you if the rifle gun is "empty, dry-balled, and etc." (or, that "something" is in the breech) if the empty mark is above the muzzle.

However you mark your ramrod, no more than 2 "marks" are actually needed if you're going to use the ramrod as a "story-pole".  :)
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2009, 03:04:32 AM »
Bluelake,... I might also mention that a second "mark" can be added to the ramrod when the gun has no charge,... this will tell you if the rifle gun is "empty, dry-balled, and etc." (or, that "something" is in the breech) if the empty mark is above the muzzle.

However you mark your ramrod, no more than 2 "marks" are actually needed if you're going to use the ramrod as a "story-pole".  :shake
Member #424

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2009, 11:21:13 AM »
Uffda!

Talk about throwing powder into a fire!

Appreciate the fine discussion and heartfelt interjections. Was pretty sure that if anyone had actual citation of said event other than a colonial era poem, this crew would be quick to flop it out and show everyone article about when Krusty Kevin blew down his barrel and changed his nickname to Slackjaw

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Offline cb

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.wrtcleather.com
(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2009, 03:19:18 PM »
FWIW - John James Audobon mentions about blowing down the barrel

As for NOT blowing down the barrel there are also some period citations - one where the gent lost a hand when a glowing ember set off the new charge.......would have to look it up for the actual cite

re: the N-SSA, NMLRA, NRA, etc. not allowing it - that all changed in the 1980's some time and was at the direction of their insurance companies - the underwriters demanded it and it had nothing to do with actual incidents only possibilities. All during the 1960's and 1970's when I was shooting at ranges or at re-enactments it was never considered a problem or concern......
As I noted before if you're concerned about getting injured well - based on actual statistics you have a FAR greater chance of being injured in your car or when going to the doctor - statistically thousands more people die due to doctor error than do from gunshots - either accidental or intentional shootings......
Chuck Burrows aka Grey Wolf

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2009, 04:08:11 PM »
Quote from: "cb"
FWIW - John James Audobon mentions about blowing down the barrel

As for NOT blowing down the barrel there are also some period citations - one where the gent lost a hand when a glowing ember set off the new charge.......would have to look it up for the actual cite

re: the N-SSA, NMLRA, NRA, etc. not allowing it - that all changed in the 1980's some time and was at the direction of their insurance companies - the underwriters demanded it and it had nothing to do with actual incidents only possibilities. All during the 1960's and 1970's when I was shooting at ranges or at re-enactments it was never considered a problem or concern......

After seeing some of the various posts regarding hand injuries from NOT blowing down the barrel,.... I wonder if those underwriters will ever be smart enough to re-think their "demands". :?
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2009, 04:55:36 PM »
I have a scored line, so that when it's light enough to shoot, but the woods are still too dark to see a black line on a brown ramrod (I often get a shot from the dark woods into a brighter field), I can verify with my thumbnail the ball is seated.  An empty barrel leaves me about 3/8" of ramrod above the muzzle.  

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Pichou

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://sites.google.com/site/historicalfurtradewi/
(No subject)
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2009, 07:32:07 PM »
I have never personally seen a hot coal in a barrel, but it is easy to see smoke and hot gasses coming out the muzzle and the vent.  When I see that after a shot, I blow down the barrel.  If the gun did not go off, you would not see the smoke.

You should know your gun well enough to judge where the ramrod should be, loaded, unloaded, not seated, dry ball, and double charged.  Marks make it even easier.
Pichou (Biziw)