Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Views on the 40 caliber  (Read 3754 times)

Offline Lastmohecken

• TMA Forum Member
Views on the 40 caliber
« on: October 11, 2009, 12:42:27 PM »
So, what does everyone think of the 40 cal? I know some say it's too big for squirrels, and too small for deer. In Arkansas, it's the only ML rifle caliber that can be used for both.

In some ways, I could see how the 40 could really be a good deal, for someone who got out and took advantage of the squirrel season, and after using it for several days of eairly squirrel hunting, one could become very proficent with said rifle, and therefore be in top form, when the opportunity to take a deer came along in late October.

Of course the .62 fowler, or smooth rifle, could be used more or less in the same way. But there is one advantage to the 40, that I don't see with any other ML choice, and I wonder if that is not why simular calibers were so popular in the old Tenn rifles, etc.

And the one advantage, I see, is that you can be loaded with a ball that can eaisly take a squirrel, rabbit, bobcat, fox, coyote, or even a deer without having to change loads.

What are your thoughts?
TMA # 496  8/16/09

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 12:55:26 PM »
It's very popular with folks for target shooting, especially for unknown distances, and it moves very fast so is very flat.  Though in a good wind it does poorly.

It is legal for game and deer in Maryland too.  On another forum I was taken to task by suggesting that it works for deer because in the other person's opinion it was clearly a small game caliber.  

I stopped using round ball for squirrels as there are too many homes near the hunting areas where I hunt that could get a ball on the roof, a window, or a parked car if I missed the squirrel or the limb it was on, and the ball went out of safe.   I would like one made with a swamped barrel.  Very light, and as you point out, very versatile.

I also read a discussion that wondered why .40 with a .390 ball, instead of a .41 with a .40 ball.  Then one could get a smoothy done and do both shot and ball, use modern shot cups if they wanted, etc.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Lastmohecken

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 12:58:52 PM »
This just reminds me of the present vs the past. Nowdays, of course we are into specialization, on everything from guns to doctors, but I remember  back a few years, a conversation I had with my grandfather who was born in 1915.

We were talking about coondogs  and birddogs, traping and the like. Times had been hard for him, as they were for many, and I remember him telling me that back then, most people wanted a hunting dog, that would go after anything, from a skunk or possum, to a coon or squirrel, etc. because no opportunity was to be dismissed, as all game had a use, either for food or to sell the hides.
TMA # 496  8/16/09

Offline Lastmohecken

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 01:06:56 PM »
LD, I understand what you are saying about launching a ball towards the sky. I have been very cautious of that, for many years, even with a .22 rimfire. As a kid, I hardly ever though about it, but nowdays, I think long and hard before sending a bullet of anykind, towards the sky or even on skylined big game, at the top of a hill, etc.
TMA # 496  8/16/09

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 05:17:37 PM »
It works fine on Deer if you get close as in archery hunting, I also found it to be OK for squirrels if you are going to head shoot of hit the middle there will be little difference between the .40 and .36

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 07:38:58 PM »
Well I know several folks who drop deer, not hit them and track them but drop them, with a forty at 50 yards.  I've been there and seen it, which is why I changed my mind about the caliber.  Now of course these Mid-Atlantic deer don't go as large as them WVA, Western PA, or NY State deer, so maybe it also depends on the animal?  Most of the credible bow hunters out here don't go beyond the 25-30 yard mark with their bows, and 50 is a might farther.  

As for specialization vs. multi-use guns, I love to show the folks when I teach Hunter Safety the one gun that does it all..., and I pull out the NEF single shot shotgun with screw in chokes.  (It can be fitted with an aftermarket BP inline barrel too).  They are generally amazed when I do this, and explain that big game may take a bit more skill and cunning, but a single shot 12 gauge with the new screw in chokes will do it all.  

A good 12 gauge smoothie will too.  From quail to geese to big game  :lol

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 08:04:58 PM »
I love my .40 and have worn out my fingers typing about it(on this and other forums)....some will say nay, I will say it's about the best "one riflegun" to have...not "legal" for elk here in Colorado, but will drop a deer, a coyote,rabbit,most any small game(shot placement is a must)....I have a .40flinter with a 43 1/2" barrel, shoot .395 ball with "a patch" and 75gr of 3f...it'll take the head off a prairie dog at 120yds and I've also dropped a 'yote at 75yds...I shoot mine regular(stalking the wary foe-Prairie dogs!!) and it's become my "go to" gun for varmints on the ranch...others may disagree with me and I don't suggest anyone just start dumping hot loads of powder in a small bore, BUT I LOVE MY .40!!! and I'd love to have a .410 flinter also
Ride the high trail....never tuck your tail

TMA#211 renewal date 01AUG08

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 10:16:27 PM »
I agree Mitch, my .40 smoothbore "Ole Wormy" does it all, 1/2" groups at fifty yards off the bench,deadly on small game with shot, Head shots on deer and they are down. Practice,practice,practice.
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 11:25:27 PM »
Here in Wash. State there are no legal squirrels, small game legal to take with a rifle  are rabbits and grouse.  (We have turkeys, but I'm not up on Turkey regulations.)  .40 will kill a bunny or grouse as well as any other caliber and is legal minimum for deer as well.  So there you have it, .40 is an all around game rifle here in the Everwet State.   Some day when my back is repaired and I'm rich, I'm going to buy a Lee .40 pistol mold to see if those will work as a conical in my .40 rifle.  

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 11:36:34 AM »
Regarding a flint .410, I think TN Valley MANUFACTURING (not Muzzleloading) has a kit for a "poor boy" flint fowler with either 36" or 42" barrels down to a .410. Sounds like it could be a winner. Flint, smoothie, small bore, plain gun. What's NOT to like?

Anyone got one?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 10:53:45 AM »
Quote from: "pathfinder"
"Ole Wormy"

Okay - gotta ask about the name . . .

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Offline Lastmohecken

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 11:12:21 AM »
I have been muzzleloading for deer the last three days here in Arkansas. Took one nice doe, but havn't seen much in the way of bucks, just a spike or two. While I have been sitting in the woods, the squirrels have about carried me off. I have had so many really close shots, that I could have taken, but I just hated to touch off my old .54 TC Hawken,  to take a squirrel, even though it would have been legal during the ML deer season.

I keep thinking if I had a 40 cal, I would be more inclined to pop a few squirrels, at times, or maybe even just put the deer hunting on hold and go after the squirrels, sometimes. But then again, if one starts shooting squirrels, he probably isn't going to see much in the way of deer. But sometimes a good squirrel hunt with some action is a lot more fun then a slow deer hunt.

So, I think I may just have to give a .40 a try one of these days.
TMA # 496  8/16/09

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 12:56:13 PM »
I probably have a reputation of not being much of a fan of the smaller caliber rifles.  Less than .60 caliber just does not get my blood a flowing.

With that all said and done, I must admit that if I were going to get a rifle in a smaller caliber, it would be a .40.  I have shot a few and have been impressed with their shooting ability and accuracy.

Besides, you can shoot the half scale silhouette match at Friendship with one.

In Idaho they are not legal for deer, elk, moose, bear, etc.  Here in Kalifornia, heck, is any gun legal here for anything?  Probably not.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline SquirrelHeart

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 10:27:16 AM »
My next project is a .40 flinter, early Lancaster.  It makes perfect sense for me, it is legal for both deer and squirrel here in Missouri.  It may not be my #1 choice for a deer rifle, but in my area most shots are less than 75 yards, most between 20-50 yards.  As for squirrel,  I don't feel it is by any means too large, I hunt them now with my .50 cal and I always shoot for the head.  My .30 cal does more damage than my .50 even on head shots, due to the higher velocity I'm sure.  The .50 just punches a nice round hole in the critters.
Curtis aka SquirrelHeart
TMA Member #320
Exp. Date 04/25/11
NMLRA Member
NRA Life Member

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 11:11:23 AM »
Minn Mike, I got her from a good friend and gun builder,Anson Morgan(kennokee trading post in avoca,mi,just outside port huron). The stock has worm holes all up and down it,Ugly to some,awsome to me! Being a 3rd generation furniture guy,I've learned to respect oddly figured wood. The fact She shoots so well is a bonus!
NRA life member
NMLRA