Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: best kit for the money  (Read 4383 times)

Offline shademtman

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2009, 05:24:20 PM »
crow killer
                 nice rifle.......how did you go about your "Vinegar finish"... iv'e never heard of that.

Offline shademtman

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2009, 06:47:16 PM »
thanks.......

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2009, 09:35:18 PM »
We have gone from Chambers probably the best out there particularly if PC/HC is a consideration, to Pedorsoli then Lyman Great Plains, a very wide sweeping range of cost, price and authenticity, I suggest making a list of what you expect to use the gun for, and look at the various levels of parts sets or kits available and see which will suit your needs the best.

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2009, 11:40:10 PM »
I was just making a suggestion about knowing what you want before buying something and I will have to dissagree about Chambers as they are presented they are top of the line in authenticity and quality, one does not have to ask which parts to buy for a particular type of gun. I have heard that Curtiss has good parts sets but I doubt that they are better than Chambers and Jims offer a more completed product from the beginning,probably giving them the edge for less skilled or experienced buiders as well.For the money the gentleman was willing to sspend he could likely find a very good used gun on one of the forums around the web.

Online Two Steps

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2009, 07:18:16 AM »
captchee...
actually the inletting and various other, time consuming task are within my capibility's i have done a number of start to finish rifles, that were only parts and unshaped stock blank..

umm...I don't think we're talking about a "newbie" builder here.  I believe the original question was

best kit for the money.... lock, stock and barrel...tenesee valley? jim chambers.... ?

Al
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2009, 10:24:52 AM »
I doubt that they are better than Chambers and Jims offer a more completed product from the beginning,probably giving them the edge for less skilled or experienced buiders as we

Tip Curtis  makes a good product TG .
 But as you said , they are not better then Jims  .
 I would agree with that whole heartedly .

as to the rest .
 i would agree , nothing wrong  with the Lyman  rifles ..
 Reasonable quality  .
 For the western fur trade ,  IMO a reasonable  representation  for the most part  of a plains rifle

as to throwing someone  who has never built a rifle  onto a custom?
 well that depends  on alot of things .
 if they apprenticed, I see no reason not . But  custom is Not what we are speaking of here .

As to semi customs.  As has been shown here on this forum . Someone with little or no knowledge , with the help of  the gunsmiths and experienced builders here . The do    produce very nice pieces

One of the reasons I myself recommend Jim chambers is that while  his items are up there , an inexperienced person  can   complete  one of his rifles just as easy as a Lyman  or any other production  gun .
 With Jims rifles , you get what you pay for .  You pay for inletting , then the parts are inlet and inlet correctly . You pay for drilling , you get drilling .
 You pay for a gun in the white ,  that’s  what you get . When you open the box ,   what you see is so close to  being ready to stain and oil , its mind blowing .
 No harder to assemble then any kit gun on the market,.
 Yet, one gets a very quality lock .  Plus all the options  in choices  of barrels from some of the very best barrel makers in this country .
 They also get a product that has a solid historical foundation . If that’s what they are looking for .

Myself I buy most all my  semi customs from  Pecatonica river .
 I have a lot more work into them . But I can  provide a product that for a base rifle is completely finished. For little more then the cost of one of jims  assemblies.
  Just like Jim, if I tell dick what  wood I want , that’s what I get .  

Now if  im building a full custom for a customer . that’s a complete different story .
Depending on the lock needed , I MIGHT get it from Jim Chambers .
I Might get a barrel from Barbie Chambers . Ed Rayl  or any  number of others all the way up to Demas  in England .
 The Hardware   for the most part  comes from the rifle shop .
 If not  I do my own castings  or have 1 of two local blacksmiths  forge it

Stock woods come from any number of places . Canadian hardwoods. Tiger maple ,High desert hardwoods   Or from my own stockpile of Black and English walnut .

For instance , right now im working on  a custom stock for a original Moore  SXS .
 The customer wanted  the stock to be done in Black Limba

The point is fellas , there are any number of very good  places to purchase from .
 But we should not confuse a semi custom with custom. Nor should we confuse a production  gun like a Pedersoli /Investment arms / Lyman  , with a semi custom from the likes of Jim chambers or Tip Curtis  .

I would also  tell you all this .  If you ever have to replace a part on  one of the Pedersoli  rifles  OR any of their sub  companies . You Will pay  either the same price or in many cases more then  the cost of a  simi custom

Take  the  Pedersoli Blue Ridge / Frontier rifle/ Hatfield . In 2004  the price for a barrel for that rifle  in 50 cal was 350.00 +shipping .
 Do you al realize you can get a  rice barrel for that cost .
 The stocks ran 325.00------525.00 depending if you wanted walnut or maple
 The locks  back then were 115.00 . .
 Basically 20.00 more then what you  could get a jim chambers for back then . With  no where near the quality
  Note also those prices are before the dollar lost its value
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 10:31:34 AM by Captchee »

Offline AZ Longrifle

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2009, 10:26:31 AM »
Crow Killer,
Can you please PM/email me Tip Curtiss' contact info, phone or email?
I'm a Gun Dealer in AZ.
Thank you, Sir!
Curt
AZ Longrifle

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2009, 10:36:14 AM »
this is the one i have in my books
 why PM  it . place it here for anyone who is interested

Tip Curtis
P.O. Box 203, Cross Plains,
TN 37049,
 (615) 654-4445.
tipcurtis@bellsouth.net

Offline AZ Longrifle

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2009, 10:39:01 AM »
Thank you, Captchee!

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2009, 10:39:32 AM »
anytime

Offline Capt. Jas.

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.longrifle.ws/artisans/artisan.asp?ID=1583&membersonly=yes
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2009, 11:16:24 AM »
Quote from: "crow killer"
Quote from: "tg"
I will have to dissagree about Chambers as they are presented they are top of the line in authenticity and quality, one does not have to ask which parts to buy for a particular type of gun. I have heard that Curtiss has good parts sets but I doubt that they are better than Chambers and Jims offer a more completed product from the beginning,probably giving them the edge for less skilled or experienced buiders as well.

i wish you hadnt said this, cuz im gonna "Censored Word Deleted" you off, i just know it! you my friend are not a gun builder. you have NO experence buying parts sets from either. at this level they arent kits, they are parts sets. ive built guns from both, and tips are more historically accurate, the castings are better, you get a better quality of wood than you would expect to recieve. and with tip you have got way better selection than jim chambers! if i never build a chambers gun again, well im ok with that. the reason people go with chambers instead of curtiss is real simple, chambers has a flashy website that you can look at and order(back order on lots of stuff) and ole tip just has a phone # and can be hard to contact.

my point here TG is if you aint built both dont give your opinion! if you do your research you'll find jims guns arent all that HC!

I DO have experience buying parts from both. I will take Chambers hands down. I really can't see why anyone would think the chambers website flashy either.

As an aside, Has anyone ever heard that the Siler lock Tip sells do not parts swap with any other Siler parts?

Offline Old Salt

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2009, 04:11:57 PM »
Quote from: "tg"
We have gone from Chambers probably the best out there particularly if PC/HC is a consideration, to Pedorsoli then Lyman Great Plains, a very wide sweeping range of cost, price and authenticity, I suggest making a list of what you expect to use the gun for, and look at the various levels of parts sets or kits available and see which will suit your needs the best.

I was thinking the same thing.  

:lol:

Lets see we are making recommendations to an experienced builder and now Tip Curtis contact information is listed twice on this thread. :lol:

Regarding Tip's Siler locks he recently told me he sells a large Siler built by M&G.  I can't honestly answer if the parts are inter changeable with other large Siler locks.  But judging from his description over the telephone IMHO the internal parts won't interchange with a Chamber's Siler.  I have an M&G lock on a boy's rifle and I hope the M&G large Siler is as good.

shademtman,

I don't have any experience with TVM or Chambers kits.  I know people who have built both.  The results depend mostly on who puts them together.

Salt
Traditional American Craftsman

Offline flintlock62

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2009, 04:54:38 PM »
I've been out of town a few days and did not look through every post, but I have not seen Track of the Wolf kits mentioned.  Actually, I have not seen Pecatonica mentioned either.  Am I missing something here?
Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.  - George Washington

Polititions and diapers need be changed often, and for the same reason.

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2009, 05:38:21 PM »
Both Pecatonica and Track have been mentioned a couple of times. This is a real interesting discussion but I am somewhat puzzled as to why an experienced gun builder would worry about who has the "best" kits. It seems to me you would select your parts from wherever and build what you want,but thats just my take and not worth much.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2009, 06:31:21 PM »
you know . i come home and find these posts .
 :evil:

WE ,,,,, don’t care how many times  there is information provided  or for that mater how many times someone mentions a given builder .
 For that mater how many times a topic is discussed or a question ask .

Also since when do we allow such arrogance !!!!

Every person here has a say  and an opinion. From the  newest person to the most experienced .
  If you don’t like what your reading , then your more  then welcome not to read it .
 If you don’t like someone’s opinion then say you disagree  and nothing else
 It seems some here have forgotten the rules .
 Or maybe the situation is  more to the fact that  some don’t care

Well I care  and YOU WILL FOLLOW THE RULES .
So leave the attitudes at the door  or don’t come through . Its that simple