Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: best kit for the money  (Read 4381 times)

Offline shademtman

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2010, 12:07:52 PM »
could be they get from the same place???...dunno....but i think jedediah starr is actually about 10.00$ cheaper.

Offline Robert D Smith

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2010, 01:23:57 AM »
Very interesting topic.  

I put together a TVM Early Virginia rifle some years ago and gained enormous respect for gunmakers.  What looks like it would be so simple just isn't.  Slow, careful and thoughtful work is very important because a mistake can be very difficult to fix.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2010, 07:53:33 AM »
Quote from: "shademtman"
could be they get from the same place???...dunno....but i think jedediah starr is actually about 10.00$ cheaper.

It would not surprise me  if  jedediah starr  got their items from Pecatonica River .
 Dick makes his stocks  and sells them to many places .

In fact  many years back ,that’s how I found Pecatonica river . At that time they had no real catalog .
 Just a couple lock choices , some hardware  and such . Mostly just stocks .

I had  just completed an early English fowler  with a stock from ToW .  It was supposed to be a 3P stock and cost 250.00 . Well it wasn’t  3 P and on top of that it was soft .
So When  a friend ask me to build him an economical rifle  ,  I again looked around at the pre-carve market .  I found an old add for Pecatonica river  in an old muzzleloader mag and thought I would take a look and see if they were still around .
 In the first hour long conversation with Dick, he informed me that they make their own stocks as well as provide a full line of blanks.. As such they have  stocks which can have different anomalies in them . IE feather cracks in the butt , worm holes , mineral stains and such .
 The feeling he gave me over the phone was that he wasn’t just a parts retailer  and knew what he was doing . So after thinking on it about a week or so , I called back and ordered a pre-carve . Not just any pre-carve eather . I specifically ask for one with   issues .
 Basically I wanted to see what  he considered issues and the quality of his grading .

When I called I didn’t get Dick  as he was out of town .  The fella I talked to said they had a pre-carve Lancaster  stock . Inlet for a 15/16 barrel . As well as the RR channel was drilled .
That it had mineral stains and a couple small Knots about the size of a  pencil lead . These  were located in the  butt. It also had mineral streaking in the but and forearm.  The stock was of medium harness and  of 2P maple .  Price was 65.00  
 So I bought it . Days later I got to thinking that I may have just chucked 65.00+shipping right out the door .
 But when the  stock showed up . All concerns were tossed .

The stock was  so much better then  the stock on the early English fowler  that I had gotten from TOW . To say I was floored was an understatement.
 By tracks standards  she would have been  easily a 4P figure  and it was much harder wood . The mineral stains  were also nothing more then what was on the 250.00 stock from Tow .

Since that time , I have NEVER bought a stock from ToW . If im working on a pre-carve . Pecatonica is where I go . The only acceptation is  jim chambers .
 Both places will give you what you ask for . Both grade on the   heavy side . IE more figure then what they state .  If you ask specifically for a heavy dense  piece of wood , then that’s what you get .

IMO the only way one would ever find better is to build from a blank .

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2010, 11:21:32 AM »
This thread is GREAT! I'm learning a lot. Thanks to all who are sharing their experiences and opinions.

Keep it coming!
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline nessy357

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2010, 11:32:15 AM »
This is taken from their website .

PECATONICA RIVER LONG RIFLE GUARANTEE

Our intent is to produce a product better than you expected.  Our standards are high. We try to provide wood which has been graded fairly and free of chips, cracks, knots, checks, rot or weak spots.  We do not consider a slight mineral stain a defect, as most are completely unnoticeable on the finished gun.

We try to use good judgement in the customers' favor in selecting their stock.  We guarantee your satisfaction. If you are in any way not satisfied, simply notify us at once, within 10 days, for shipping instructions for replacement or full refund.  Guarantee is void if stock has been carved or inlet in any other way than it was received and may not be returned.  Also, we have no control over hidden defects.

We are proud of having very few returns or adjustments since we usually provide more than we promise.  We enjoy an excellent reputation and we intend to keep it!

The stock I ordered was better than expected, however, when they sent the wrong trigger guard and buttplate, they were painfully slow in exchanging them (6 weeks ) this was after having to wait 3 months for the kit.
IF I was to order another I would go with Sitting Fox,IMO he has the best value for your dollar.
Cheers Bob.
BC Canada Provincial TMA Representative[/color]

TMA member 326

Expires Feb 4 2011

Load fast shoot slow.

Offline Old Salt

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2010, 12:36:21 PM »
With regards to pre inletting, one thing I see that could be beneficial to a first time builder is no need to do or understand the layout of the parts.  

Even though the first time builder will still be required to do some final fitting they will be mostly assured that all the parts are located in the correct location.  That might save a guy from making a mistake in the location of lock bolts, tang bolt, side plate or trigger gaurd.    

I know a person could still make a mistake with those tasks.  But with a significant part of the layout being complete there are fewer chances to slip up.

That's not to say a supplier might make an occasional mistake in the layout or that an experienced builder might have thier own preferences.

With regards to Pecatonica I recently ordered a replacement butt stock for a Remington # 4 boy's rifle.  The order process was simple and the part arrived within three weeks.  

Salt
Traditional American Craftsman

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2010, 08:18:51 PM »
The stock I ordered was better than expected, however, when they sent the wrong trigger guard and buttplate, they were painfully slow in exchanging them (6 weeks ) this was after having to wait 3 months for the kit.
IF I was to order another I would go with Sitting Fox,IMO he has the best value for your dollar.
Cheers Bob.

really , never had that exsperiance  with pecatoncia . you didnt happen to hit a time fraim where they were gon to say friendship ?

as to sitting fox ?
 well i hate to tell you this but i been waiting on a stock and barrel since 15 november . was suposed to be her 2nd week of december .
 was told when i called , that it would be out  the next week . that been 3 weeks ago now and still no word

Offline nessy357

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2010, 10:19:29 PM »
I placed my order before they were going to Frienship, but , got a few different reasons why they couldn't fill the order ?
Candyman just bought 3 kits from Sitting Fox  with no problems.
There's pros and cons to either of them.
Cheers Bob.
BC Canada Provincial TMA Representative[/color]

TMA member 326

Expires Feb 4 2011

Load fast shoot slow.

Offline Indiana

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2010, 12:00:46 AM »
My vote is for a Chambers kit.  They're the best looking ones I've seen and Chambers kits aren't a parts assembly like you would get from Track.  These actually have quite a bit of work already done.  Best bang for the buck.
"Damn the sword! When Virginia wanted a sword, I gave her one. Now she sends me a toy when I require bread!” -George Rogers Clark

Offline Buffler Razz

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2010, 06:41:21 AM »
My experience is very limited. I put together a TC Hawken almost 30 years ago; a Chambers kit 2 years ago and I'm working on one from Sitting Fox right now.

The Chambers kit was everything I was told by friends who have much more experience that I. While it was slightly more $ than a kit I saw from TOW, the wood was certainly a cut above. Jim and Barbie were great to deal with and very helpful, BOTH before and after the purchase. As has been stated here, much of the work was already done for me. I had to do final inletting and fitting along with some shaping of the stock.

My Sitting Fox is a fowler. Ray was great to deal with, very open and honest all along the way. I decided on a piece of cherry for the stock and as with Chambers, in my opinion the wood was better than described. He did falter a bit on promised delivery by a few weeks. I also noticed that the stock came from Jack Garner at Jack's Stock Shop (also Tennessee Valley Manufacturing)
There is a lot more work to be done on this one and I knew that going in. The barrel and ramrod channel came done and the stock is rough shaped, thats it thats all. I'm not complainin, it is what I wanted. Someday I hope to start with a blank of wood and I'm hoping this progression gets me there with the least heartburn along the way.

My only advice, since I am a true Babe In the Woods, is to ask questions. Lots of them so you understand what you are getting and the seller understands what you are looking for.

Finally, thanks all , especially you Cap, for your advice, input and opinions. I've enjoyed reading thru this one.
Razz
Buffler Razz
aka Ron Razzolini
TMA Member 348
THE TMA "NEEDS" YOU!...JOIN TODAY

Offline SimonG

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://hunterstavern.proboards.com/index.cgi
(No subject)
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2010, 11:03:13 AM »
I've been making notes and keeping score while reading this and it looks like top kits for quality run (best to lowest);

Chambers; http://www.flintlocks.com/
TVM ;http://www.avsia.com/tvm/index.html
Pecatonica; http://www.longrifles-pr.com/
TOW; http://www.trackofthewolf.com/
Sittingfox; http://www.sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/SittingFox.html

and then part it out yourself, like Tip Curtis, etc (boy, I wish we had contact info for Tip. LOL)

I have enjoyed this post, I never have bought a TVM or a Chambers but am looking to.
I've gone the Tip Curtis route, great guy, super guy, lots of back and forth, too much for me, " hey this is threaded wrong, this wont fit, this isn't the part I said"...it all comes out right in the end but its too much 'lets go see if this one fits' for me.

sitting fox I've dealt with, they'd have to cut their prices by half again for it to be worth it to me, price isnt everything, I ate up the savings by spending it on Tums and Rolaids.

TOW is always tops in service but I have ordered plain stocks and Extra Fancy and they were easy to mix up if you didn't label them.

The OP said back in there somewhere $750 was the ballpark amount to spend, I'd say based on the consensus spend it on a chambers or tvm and maybe wait a bit to get the best versus the quickest and cheaper.

you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, and the other old saying you can't shine...junk, is always true.

my experience has proved those sayings are true, you can paint a Rolls Royce with a 4" brush and it still looks like a Rolls, but with a bad paint job.
A Yugo painted by an artist is still a Yugo, with a paint job that makes people say "what a waste of a paint job!".
TMA full member #419 expires 02/14/2010
http://hunterstavern.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2010, 12:33:37 PM »
i dont know Simon .
 i think most certainly you cant make a silk purse from a sows ear . But you sure can make a dam nice  sows ear purse  .   In fact , nice enough that someone wanting a silk purse would look twice at  the sows ear . Lol .

Through the years I have done a number of sitting fox projects for folks .
 Myself , I have never been complete happy with the quality . Though I must say  also , that I have never been completely un happy .
 The one im waiting on  that I mentioned above  im not totally miffed at , just yet . Even though its just the stock and barrel
 A couple  gave me fits ,and sleepless nights ,of that there is no doubt ..
 But honestly  as Nessy said : there are pro’sand cons .
 Its that way no mater where you go . Its simply the nature of the beast when  ever your working with something , someone else has started . It something that must be dealt with  whenever   you cant aford or know how to do it yourself .
 IMO best  bang for the buck , comes down to the Buck  and knowledge  added to what a person is looking for .

For some the knowledge is the issue .
 If I had only 750 to spend  and wanted a VERY high end piece . I guarantee you  I could build a rifle  for   less then that .  But I would have hours upon hours into it . So whats my labor worth ?

I can take a cheep CVA  bobcat and  for 350.00 turn it into  something that  will stand right next  to  semi customs as well as customs . Past being told what it  was , No one would know .
Will they ever be anything but a CVA .  No . I know that as does the customer .
 Quality is , what quality is . There simply is no way around it .

One way or another we pay for that quality . Be it in our labor or in the materials we chose to use .
 Thus  sometimes , the best bang  for the buck  may not be any of  the places we spoke about here .
 Its basically just as you say Simon .

Lets  mix this up alittle bit .

Lets say a person with 0 knowledge  of  these rifles , wood working , metal finishing .
 Basicly know knowledge at all ..
 Now lets say  they want  ??? OHHHHh ??? A NW trade gun , but only has 750 to spend .

There are any number of places that  can provide the parts  in any number of  degrees of quality ..
 But lets say  we have a standard .
Davis lock ,  simple trigger , plain  walnut stock, shaped and inlet , barrel by Colerain or Green mountain
 Rest of the hardware is simple and cheep ..
  Parts alone  your into it maybe 500-550 .

That person dives in. they are all smiles because they saved  200 bucks .
 Lets say the only spend  40 hours working on it .  What they just did was  eat up  that 200.00 very quickly . the result is they have something that while being worth something to them , frankly isn’t worth more then the sum of the parts .

But for  another 50 bucks    " around 800"    they could have had all that work done for them  so as that all that was left was the finishing  of the stock .
OR for another 150  had the trade gun completely finished  by someone with knowledge . Thus the piece is worth more then the sum of the parts .

So in the above case , would not the best bang for the buck be  any of what we have spoken about ? . I would think so  if we looked at this as a pure monetary question.

IMO  there can never be a price placed on knowledge . One can only get a return from knowledge .
 So lets look at the above person   again .
  Same scenario. But this time the person is willing to  opt for  gaining knowledge . Time is not a  factor because  the knowledge learned offsets that .
 The person spends  100 of the saved 200 on  books that will teach him  how to   do the job correctly . isn’t afraid to ask questions .
Slowly takes  his time . Buys a blank  over a pre-carve . No more tools are needed  because he will need  the very same tools needed for the pre-carve .
 Now he may still end up with something not worth more then the sum of the parts .
BUT  he has learned  and thus at the same time as  gaining the  pride of doing it himself . He has also gained a greater knowledge and thus a  greater return on his investment  .

So maybe  we are looking at this  from the wrong  angle here .
 There are simply many , many different places to get  parts from . Most all sell the same  parts  from the same makers .
 When I last talked with  Ray Franks , he told me he  was now using davis locks  not the cheeper imports , his barrels unless special ordered  were  from GM .
 So whats left ?
The Stocks .
Basicly in so many words  level of correctness for the  chosen product . Quality and level of inletting , if chosen . Not a whole lot more .
 that’s the kicker here and IMO is the only thing that really differs between all the suppliers  that have been sugested

Offline makin meat

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
good explanation captchee. i always start with a blank for more latitude.
tma #176  exp. 05/16/10

bob taylor

"a place for everything and everything is someplace" (looking at my workshop)