Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: squirrel rifles  (Read 2975 times)

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: squirrel rifles
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2013, 08:59:57 PM »
beautiful rifle!!!  thank you for sharing!

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2013, 06:26:12 PM »
does anyone feel that a 32 is more of a chore to shoot/clean than a larger caliber squirrel rifle?

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2013, 11:59:06 PM »
Quote from: "rfd"
does anyone feel that a 32 is more of a chore to shoot/clean than a larger caliber squirrel rifle?

I've kinda watch this thread since it's first post, and I haven't commented because, right now, right this moment, I don't own a "three-two"..... but I have, and I have owned several over the years, both cap and flint and I do expect to own another one before the fall of this upcoming year.

IMHO, the lowly little three-two is the most underrated muzzle loader we have today!

As far as your last question, I certainly don't feel it's any more of a chore insofar as shooting and cleaning than any other BP Rifle...although, I have to admit that over the years I have broken more three-two ram rods than all the others combined!  :shock:

Still yet, even a slow learner catches on pretty quick after awhile.

And, it does take me a second or so longer to load and seat a ball than it does on a .45 on up.
Why is that? It's because on the larger bores I can typically seat a ball with one or sometimes two quick long strokes, while that smaller bore requires four or five short strokes, and it's usually a 40 plus inch barrel...IMO that's the very reason we ended up with so many broken ram rods for this little fella.

The exception to this "may be" the little .32 Cherokee RM mentioned...it does have a short barrel, but there ain't no fleas on that little dog....and you can take that to the Bank!

Now, having said that, I have to say that I personally don't see this as any kind of drawback, as we all have access to good hickory rods nowadays.

Is it as good or better than a .36?
Is it as good or better than a .40 or .45?
Good questions, but I would not like having the responsibility of being the one to make that choice.

The little three-two speaks Skwerl in several languages and dialects, and no Sir, you're at no disadvantage when carrying one in Squirrel country.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2013, 05:27:17 AM »
very very good comments, russ, much obliged for your sharing.

getting back into black powder muzzleloaders after a 3 decade layoff has given me an appreciation for ramrods and "cleaning rods".  i know some folks don't clean much 'tween shots but i do.  it sure is all about the fit of the ball 'n' patch for me.  with my current carolina .45 i'm using 55 grains of goex 3fg under a .012" dutch lubed muzzle cut flannel patch (gives my 20 year LL bean shirts a new occupation) and a .440" ball.  if i do my job right, the accuracy so far is pretty decent ... here's my first target face from this past friday's shooting, 37 yards and five balls touching - the 4 o'clock hole was my bud's shot, not mine ...

... to tie in the above rambling with thoughts on a thutty-too rifle --- i use a 3/8" brass rod (with brass muzzle guide) to wipe well 'tween shots, then use the rifle's hickory rod to seat the ball on the black dust.  the patched ball goes down nicely each time, no muss and no fuss.  i would expect the same using a 1/4" brass cleaning/wiping rod, but i'm guessing at this point.  i think it's gonna be a decent good guess.

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2013, 10:31:11 AM »
I found a place on-line for brass rod. I got 9/32" (.281") A little smaller than the bore, yet a lot stiffer than 1/4"
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2013, 12:39:46 PM »
rm, please share your source for the 9/32" rod!

Offline biliff

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2013, 12:59:09 PM »

Only problem I ran across was handling the tiny balls (don't go there). Ended up making a rawhide ball bag with a bit of a chute at the mouth so I could dispense them one at a time.

Also found I could load a much tighter ball/patch combination. .318" ball, drill patch, spit lube and I can shoot all day with no wiping. Cleanup also got a lot quicker.

Rods/jags etc. are readily available online from the usual suspects. Forget buying stuff locally unless you have a muzzleloader specialty shop nearby.
Member #400, expiration 22Jan14
...and to each Volunteer, who shall equip himself with a good and sufficient Musket, Cutlass or Hatchet, Cartouch Box, Powder Horn, Blanket and Knap Sack, two shillings Proclamation Money per Day.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2013, 06:20:07 PM »
i don't have any issues grabbing my balls (what'd he say???!!!).  they're in a cylinder "pouch" inside my shootin' bag.  the pouch has a flap on its side that's leather laced to the bag's back.  it's about 3-1/2" deep and mabye 2-1/2" around, easy to get my thumb and forefinger in there for the ball grab.  and she don't move at all, stays put even if jostled a bunch.  the cylinder's top opening holds the patch strip, which keeps the balls from jumping around if i've gotta make a fast runaway from a neighbouring war party (huh?!).  45's are too easy to grab and pull out, would think about the same for 32's?

real interesting about the .318 balls for a .32!  i was thinking of a .311 or .315 ball mould .... hmmm.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2013, 06:38:11 PM »
perhaps a stainless 1/4" rod would be stiffer than one of brass?

Offline biliff

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2013, 07:35:56 PM »
Forgot one thing. There's also a tendency for the short starter to get bound up in the patch when starting the ball. Had to turn mine down to reduce the diameter a bit.

Nice idea for storing ball in the pouch. Not sure if it would work for me with a .32.  I just can't seem to grab the little things very well.
...and to each Volunteer, who shall equip himself with a good and sufficient Musket, Cutlass or Hatchet, Cartouch Box, Powder Horn, Blanket and Knap Sack, two shillings Proclamation Money per Day.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2013, 07:50:52 PM »
don't understand how the starter and patch is getting hung up.  are you using preformed round patches or a patch strip 'n' knife?  what diameter is yer short starter for the 32?

Offline 2 Locks

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.MultiLakes.com
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2013, 08:16:38 PM »
perhaps a stainless 1/4" rod would be stiffer than one of brass?
Steel, hard, bad.
Brass, soft, good.
Carbon fiber would be even stiffer than steel - and even more abrasive.
Dave Leonard
Member #429 Expires 4/15/14

Offline biliff

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2013, 09:03:22 PM »
don't understand how the starter and patch is getting hung up.  are you using preformed round patches or a patch strip 'n' knife?  what diameter is yer short starter for the 32?

Brass rod and ball. Precut square patches. Rod was so close to bore diameter that the excess patch material would grab the rod when seating the ball and bind in the barrel. Just turned the end of the rod down enough to keep it from binding.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2013, 09:09:29 PM »
imo, a stainless steel cleaning rod is not at all bad if used correctly, with a properly sized front end and with a muzzle bore guide.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
Quote from: "biliff"

Brass rod and ball. Precut square patches. Rod was so close to bore diameter that the excess patch material would grab the rod when seating the ball and bind in the barrel. Just turned the end of the rod down enough to keep it from binding.

ah.  precut patches.  i'll bet you won't have that issue with cut patch strips.