Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: PC / HC ?  (Read 4064 times)

Offline Lonewolfe20

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Member # 757 Expires 7/25/2020, Member & State Representative.
Re: PC / HC ?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 05:50:24 PM »
This is an online definition that I had to look up when I heard that!
FARB
Fast And Researchless Buying".

a derogatory term used in the hobby of historical reenacting in reference to participants who exhibit indifference to historical authenticity, either from a material-cultural standpoint or in action. It can also refer to the inauthentic materials used by those reenactors.

Also called "polyester soldiers," farbs are reenactors who spend relatively little of their time or money maintaining authenticity with regard to uniforms, accessories, or even period behavior. The 'Good Enough' attitude is pervasive among farbs, although even casual observers may be able to point out flaws.
NRA Member
State Representative for South Dakota, contact me for more SD info
TMA #757

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 05:54:57 PM »
Sounds like the younger generation.  :lol sign
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 06:19:21 PM »
I guess its the same in other hobbies. You have fishermen that spend thousands of dollars on gear and you have fishermen that buy cheap gear from Walmart. Both look down their noses at the other. Both catch fish.

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
  • Oft muß Mann "zum Teufel damit"
    • reenactor.Net
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #819. Membership expiration 11/24/2022
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 06:21:31 PM »
Oh no, farb comes from the early days of silly war reenacting... It came from a guy who would say "Far be for me to criticize your impression, but..." :-p Some say it's German for "colorful" impression, because "farb" means color in German.

It's used in reenacting as an insult, but can be used many other descriptive ways: farby, farb, farbistic, etc. I've heard someone called "bistic." You get it.

"My farb gear" slang for modern stuff. Like the SCA calls it mundane gear...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Marsh Wise
Ah likes flintlocks, but any gun is good -- okay, guns that hurt to shoot aren't good.

Head Village Idiot at www.reenactor.Net and www.romanobritain.org

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 06:33:21 PM »
How impolite and judgmental! I would think they would want to encourage  participation, rather than drive it away. But that's  just me, hopelessly  afflicted with logic and common sense.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 07:23:26 PM »
'Tis a hobby... There are many levels of authenticity and to each his own. Remember, reenacting is not shooting... For many, it allows one the chance to actually "be there." If someone spoils that for them, it can be like someone messing up you getting a good score shooting.

It's a different thing. Enjoy the differences.

Marsh Wise
Ah likes flintlocks, but any gun is good -- okay, guns that hurt to shoot aren't good.

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2019, 09:32:04 PM »
I want to agree with you, Nessmuk. It is totally refreshing to see such a thoughtful and civil conversation. It is if there are (almost) mature adults here in the TMA. And I will be the first to lift a glass to that :toast. It is a pleasure to counted among your number...and that's a fact.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2019, 09:40:55 PM »
I do like the folks here. . I'm gonna push fb people to join. The thing is, most of us want the same things... It just takes awhile to get up to speed. In reenacting, I always say as long as a guy has improved SOMETHING each time he comes out, that's great!
Marsh Wise

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 11:46:12 AM »
Great thread!
Civil folks discussing what should always be a civil subject.

Personally, to me, it's the guns my brother, it's all about the guns, that and the  beautiful aroma of burning Blackpowder!... :bl th up

That was my very first attraction, many, many years ago, and likely my very strongest attraction to this wonderful Hobby of ours.

I have not been PC / HC since sometime in the late 1970s to mid 1980s, even then I was not 'totally PC, nor did I ever try to preach the PC / HC doctrines.......and a lot of water, lead, and powder has run under that bridge of life since that time.

The criticism of the PC Police regarding this Hobby has cost us heavily, while the praise and encouragement of those practicing Living History has had their hands full trying to keep up.

It is somewhere in between all this that many, if not most, find comfort in this sport.
Myself, I am a bona fide gun nut. Never met a gun yet that I didn't fall head-over-heels for. Old guns, new guns, broken guns with missing parts, they're all good.

Btw, Oldetexian, my Walker Colt doesn't take kindly to those  "unkind" words.... :lol sign  :applaud  :bow 

It's all good! Just some is a wee bit "more gooder" than others.

I truly appreciate THIS thread.
This is the type thread that promotes harmony from within, which is somewhat hard to find nowadays.

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 02:36:39 PM »
PC or HC is not a dirty word. I would think wherever you are in the hobby, it really should be something you make some kind of attempt to reach towards. Clubs of every kind exist because of some alignment or similar interest. It makes sense to define what that is to those involved. Otherwise again, whats the point?

I too started in the hobby due to my interest in the guns. But my interest broadened over time. I have recently considered not taking my guns to certain events. Its just as HC/PC to not have a gun in your hand as to have one.

K

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 03:18:24 PM »
Btw, Oldetexian, my Walker Colt doesn't take kindly to those  "unkind" words.... sign  :applaud  :bow
That might have been me busting on my brother Jim... He has a couple that he has a fetish for. I have to remind him a lot of the superiority of my Remingtons... :-P

Marsh Wise

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 03:31:06 PM »
There should be no doubt right up front that these HC/PC organization & club doings are expensive to those who are interested in joining in with them. This normally is mentioned right up front, and many of these organizations & clubs (not all - but many) are willing to give folks time to build their kit to reach the requirements of such gatherings.

I would suggest to do the research before getting involved with either. I fault no organization or club for having rules & guidelines they expect to be followed as they are offering the public something that some may have a strong interest in being part of. If it doesn't fit what you're looking for - simply move on and look for a organization or club that does fit your interest.

Joining in on these HC/PC events is a personal choice - it's not mandatory. Never has been.  :shake

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 04:37:01 PM »
Exactly so!

Marsh Wise

Spotted Bull

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2019, 05:27:05 PM »
Being a PC person can be helpful to those just starting. If they are willing to advise and not just criticize.  I've helped lots and lots of folks get into this hobby. Theee are many ways to get an outfit together that will pass muster for the Non-Nazi thread counters. And many times if the newbies are harangued bu them first, they lose interest immediately.

We gotta help folks so this way of life isnt lost.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2019, 07:00:02 PM »
To my humble opinion, one takes new recruits and teaches them. You teach them right from the start. If you see a new guy floundering, often offering to help will get you a good recruit.

I'm a big proponent of handbooks... Whether WWI, WW2 or Roman, whatever... For one thing, when most people read things in a book, it becomes a truth. For another, they can pre-learn BEFORE the event, learning what is cool and what is not. Then, there is no one judging them, they won't lose face. When they get out there and you show them things, it's already in the back of their mind.

How's dat? Thread counting, stitch Naziry, what have you -- some of it has a place... And, if it's YOUR group, then it's your responsibility to teach them right and help them. Usually, when you do that, people have fun.

If you're a lone wolf, have at it... Don't pee in someone else's wheaties.
My 2 silver pennies, Marsh

Marsh Wise