Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: PC / HC ?  (Read 4062 times)

Spotted Bull

Re: PC / HC ?
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2019, 07:03:33 PM »
Some of the clubs around here have events that will encourage newbies to come and explore what this historical reenactment stuff is about. I like those. No pressure on the newbies and you get to teach the "right" way.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2019, 10:25:02 PM »
I am SO in the right place here. Thank you, friends.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2019, 11:14:17 PM »
Great thread!
Civil folks discussing what should always be a civil subject.

Personally, to me, it's the guns my brother, it's all about the guns, that and the  beautiful aroma of burning Blackpowder!... :bl th up

That was my very first attraction, many, many years ago, and likely my very strongest attraction to this wonderful Hobby of ours.

I have not been PC / HC since sometime in the late 1970s to mid 1980s, even then I was not 'totally PC, nor did I ever try to preach the PC / HC doctrines.......and a lot of water, lead, and powder has run under that bridge of life since that time.

The criticism of the PC Police regarding this Hobby has cost us heavily, while the praise and encouragement of those practicing Living History has had their hands full trying to keep up.

It is somewhere in between all this that many, if not most, find comfort in this sport.
Myself, I am a bona fide gun nut. Never met a gun yet that I didn't fall head-over-heels for. Old guns, new guns, broken guns with missing parts, they're all good.

Btw, Oldetexian, my Walker Colt doesn't take kindly to those  "unkind" words.... :lol sign  :applaud  :bow 

It's all good! Just some is a wee bit "more gooder" than others.

I truly appreciate THIS thread.
This is the type thread that promotes harmony from within, which is somewhat hard to find nowadays.

Please don't misconstrue my previous comment as saying, "Guns is the ONLY thing I like about this Hobby" because I can pass muster at about any get together short of AMM. That still does not mean I don't literally love the guns of that era.

Others have said it much better, and a lot more graciously, that what I said in my previous post, but the living history part of this Hobby is strong inside me, and I practiced that a lot when I was somewhat younger. 
And that was long before the Bicentennial, T/C, Ithica, Hatfield, CVA, and Lyman became household words, even before the sport of Muzzleloading itself ever became popular.

Back then, during the 1950s and 60s, any knowledge of Muzzleloaders suddenly made you the Subject Matter Expert.
The local go-to guy for everything Muzzleloading, he seemed to have all the answers on every imaginable aspect of the sport.
Also, back then, a lot of "bad" information was handed out as fact, and later on that put a lot of very sour grapes in the pudding of us oldtimers of today.

Then, in the late1970s and mid-80s, a new breed, along with a new name came on the scene, they were called PC & HC.....
The one thing, and likely the most important thing of all that they brought with them, was the demise of many "Old Wives" tales, stories that many of us had been led to believe as solemn truths for a good 25 to 30 years, prior to their arrival.

Some also brought their newly learned knowledge to a whole new level, and that level was nothing short of criticism, criticism toward those who professed to know less, or things never heard of before their entry.....but, instead of teaching and making welcome the unwashed part of the group, they choose to pick at the small stuff, small stuff that when left to grow and materialize would someday make a fine Buckskinner, instead they suddenly somehow felt elite in their new found knowledge, and the rest of this story is history.
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
  • Oft muß Mann "zum Teufel damit"
    • reenactor.Net
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #819. Membership expiration 11/24/2022
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2019, 11:35:54 PM »
I dunno. See, I am not a buckskinner. I was into that many moons ago. I like to shoot, I like history. I like the two together. I teach people right. I also teach them about living history and doing things right. I think I can safely say that I'm not unwashed nor do I conceal info. I'd never even heard the term pc or hc... To me, pc means politically correct, which I'm not. Right is right.

Anyway, unless it's billed as living history, most of it's historical cosplay revolving around shooting. I think what the AMM do is interesting, but it's not what I do. Anyway, as a reenactor in 4 time periods so far, and dealing with all periods as the owner of reenactor.Net, I can tell you that most reenacting isn't about busting people's balls over dumb stuff. Like I said, if I am invited to your event, I follow your rules -- if you come to mine, I expect you to follow mine. If we can do our thing together, great.  :toast

If you wish to do stuff a certain way, that's your right... Just don't tell ME how to do my stuff. How's that.
Marsh Wise
Ah likes flintlocks, but any gun is good -- okay, guns that hurt to shoot aren't good.

Head Village Idiot at www.reenactor.Net and www.romanobritain.org

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2019, 06:42:53 AM »
You guys restore my faith in humanity. We are all in this together, and since no one gets out alive it just makes sense to show basic decency to each other, and that's especially true when it comes to someone trying to learn and get involved in a hobby we all love.

We all have things about which we are passionate. I understand and even appreciate that. And, likewise, we all have warts, moles and other imperfections. Once we understand that and realize that it is the journey that's important (not the destination of perfection), we can all relax a little and pay more attention to extending a helping hand.

That seems to be the spirit I see in TMA, and for me, it's one of the most powerful incentives to be involved and get others onto the path as well.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2019, 02:14:41 PM »
You guys restore my faith in humanity. We are all in this together, and since no one gets out alive it just makes sense to show basic decency to each other, and that's especially true when it comes to someone trying to learn and get involved in a hobby we all love.

We all have things about which we are passionate. I understand and even appreciate that. And, likewise, we all have warts, moles and other imperfections. Once we understand that and realize that it is the journey that's important (not the destination of perfection), we can all relax a little and pay more attention to extending a helping hand.

That seems to be the spirit I see in TMA, and for me, it's one of the most powerful incentives to be involved and get others onto the path as well.

Amen brother Tex!
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2019, 03:23:36 PM »
Now, if I could only just get you guys to reenact Roman  :P
Marsh Wise
Ah likes flintlocks, but any gun is good -- okay, guns that hurt to shoot aren't good.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2019, 04:38:02 PM »

Well let me see??? A worn out bed sheet with a hole cut in the middle for my head, and a piece of rope to hold it around my waste... Hmmm, I might be able to be a peasant slave who sleeps in the stables and fights dogs for table scraps...

:lol sign  :Doh!
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2019, 04:39:34 PM »

Break out the sheets, I feel a toga party coming on.
Searching through the synapses, but I'll be darned if I can remember anything appropriate in Latin to say.  That's what 60 years will do to your memory.

So, Brutus asked Caesar if he had any pizza at the party last night.
And Julius replied, "Et tu, Brute !!"    :applaud :laffing :Doh!
Sorry, I could not help myself.

Are you sure you want us reenacting Roman???

John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2019, 04:45:24 PM »
Optio! Cane their feet until they learn respect!  No togas for you dogs.

Www.legioix.org

Www.romanobritain.org
Marsh Wise

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2019, 04:52:02 PM »
Caning my feet would not be an option (optio) that I would readily submit to.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2019, 05:11:56 PM »
Legionary, you will submit. Resistance is futile.
Marsh Wise

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2019, 08:12:35 PM »

Wow! That sounds like something from Star Trek, what would Captain Kirk do???  :lol sign
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2019, 08:14:40 PM »

Wow! That sounds like something from Star Trek, what would Captain Kirk do???  :lol sign
Mk. 13 Planetbusters
Marsh Wise

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2019, 10:16:54 PM »
Marshy done watched de Trek to the Stars.

Still, as far as Romans... Only citizens write the toga. Also, it's a pain in the butt... A formal garment.

But you, you would have a tunica. Usually not with a rope belt. A soldier made to go without his belt... That was a punishment -- literally. There's all kinds of weirdness.

Imagine if the Romans had invented gun powder :-o that, and figured out how to transfer power between emporers...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Marsh Wise