Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: PC / HC ?  (Read 4192 times)

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
Re: PC / HC ?
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2019, 07:43:14 AM »
Exchange my Smoke pole for a Gladius ?  Sir, you jest!
 :Doh!
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
  • Oft muß Mann "zum Teufel damit"
    • reenactor.Net
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #819. Membership expiration 11/24/2022
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2019, 08:23:43 AM »
I do not, but I shan't make you eat anything disgusting like eel or cooked sow's placenta....😂
Marsh Wise
Ah likes flintlocks, but any gun is good -- okay, guns that hurt to shoot aren't good.

Head Village Idiot at www.reenactor.Net and www.romanobritain.org

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2019, 09:47:01 AM »
WOW! What a powerfully enticing image, you provide, Marsh...

A heaping plate piled high with steaming hot sow placenta.

My first question is do ya have the recipe? And secondly, with vittles like that do ya have to fight off all the recruits clammering  to join your unit?  :lol sign :lol sign :lol sign
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2019, 10:03:46 AM »
Hail no! I don't put stuff lie that on the site. I only have a couple hundred and very few even close to hinky. Fish sauce sounds vile and once watched it made, but it's really just Worcestershire sauce.

Some are actually really good. Different people. And remember, all the stuff we think of "Italian cooking"... They didn't have tomatoes, potatoes, most beans... Still. I ain't eating rocky mountain oysters... We all have weirdness.
Marsh Wise
Ah likes flintlocks, but any gun is good -- okay, guns that hurt to shoot aren't good.

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2019, 11:52:45 AM »
Absolutely, my friend. Your point is well and truly made. I have been privileged to "get to eat" an amazingly diverse variety of vittles. Most were offered to me in situations where it would be considered quite rude not to partake. (when someone offers you the best they have, well I am not going to be the one to say "no way"...)

And I also agree with you about the Rocky Mountain Oysters. Different strokes for different folks. I like haggis, but then I blame that on being half Scot.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2019, 01:47:38 PM »
I agree on when people offer you food. People don't have manners anymore.

I do remember rattlesnake... Tasted just like chicken, other than the weird bones in it. That was in my youth at a rendezvous in California... So long ago.

If you get the chance, the "Moretum" recipe is GREAT.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Marsh Wise

Spotted Bull

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2019, 05:52:35 PM »
That's the reason I carry a steel noggin and wooden spoon on my belt. When people offer a bite to eat or a cup of coffee, I dont want to dirty up their stuff. I can just use mine and clean it up and put it back on its hook.

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #833
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2019, 09:32:43 PM »
Be as PC/HC as you want to be. Don't expect others to be as PC/HC as you.

I was active in the Society for Creative Anachronisms for a while. It's a medieval history group, technically for educational purposes, but mostly to have fun. I understand what goes into research, and the labor and money in creating authentic clothing and goods. The absolutely last thing I want to do is hand-sew something, *especially* in areas that won't be seen, simply because it was hand-sewn THEN. The level of authenticity required in some groups is a turn-off for me.

The way I see it, we are trying to preserve the history and lifestyle of the ML era, but not necessarily relive it.  T/C & CVA guns might not be 100% accurate historically, but they ARE *traditional* muzzleloaders, unlike poly-stocked inlines. They are affordable, especially in the 2nd hand market. They allow guys like me to get in the hobby and work up from there, and not invest a lot if we find it's not for us.

The thread counters and purists have their nitches. Hand-sewn underwear? No way. I commend their dedication, but that's not for me.

Personally, I'm going for "flavor." The SCA has an informal (mostly) 10-foot rule. If it looks good from that distance, it's good. I find that reasonable for most to attain with moderate effort.
All men have fears. The brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death but always to victory.

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2019, 10:00:34 PM »
That's great. I'm not into plastic armor and duct tape. Yes, I'm sure that I'm a horrible stitch-nazi Bastard, but SCA... Hell no! Plastic cosplay... Not into it. "Where is be the dragons?"

As the SMS Rudolf Weiß sails out of a large cordite cloud... mebbee that was too harsh...

Here's the thing... Lots of guys got zapped by someone for being a farb or something when they first tried reenacting. I knew of a silly war unit that thought it was cool to make people cry. The southern guards... I despised them. They hurt the hobby. This kind of crap tends to turn people off and they become like my brother, all butt-holey. With the right intro, new guys learn what is and is not cool. We all rise to our own level of authenticity. Just don't try and spoil another's time trip.

However, there are guys that just refuse to do things like authenticity -- and that's fine. You go to and have your events. I won't be botherin' you

Bad Marsh should also say that he has no problem with CVA's, T/C's, etc. Good guns. Straight shooting too. What fires me up is an automatic knee-jerk reactions to authenticity and peoples belief in. I should, in all fairness state that I do not wear period underwear in ANY time period, including the Roman stuff I do... the boys need support. Anyway, I tell reenactors to beware if some dude demands to see your underwear.
Marsh Wise

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2019, 10:27:49 PM »
 :*:
Marsh Wise

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2019, 11:26:02 PM »
 :toast
Marsh Wise

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2019, 08:31:45 AM »
That's great. I'm not into plastic armor and duct tape. Yes, I'm sure that I'm a horrible stitch-nazi Bastard, but SCA... Hell no! Plastic cosplay... Not into it. "Where is be the dragons?"

Duck tape was unavoidable on weapons, but IMO an abomination anywhere else. For the record,  I hated exposed plastic armor as well. It can be easily hidden, and I was living proof of that. Research your persona, design a fighting kit that hides the uglies.

The same applies here. Some things are unavoidable, some are excusable. If I can't use BP because I can't find it, am I at fault? I hope not. But a black vinyl possibles bag?? Hell no! Might as well make it out of duck tape!

My point was not to criticize those who go as authentic as possible, but to encourage those who are making the effort to be presentable.
All men have fears. The brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death but always to victory.

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2019, 08:37:58 AM »
Re-reading your original post,  I understand your view. I agree on the eyeglasses, and agree that people need to know *and follow* the rules going in, for any group. Why make an accommodation for one ruin it for the rest.

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2019, 09:43:38 AM »
I think we're all pretty much on the same page. And, as long as people are improving each time, that's a good thing.

I still don't hold with some dude asking about my underwear, in ANY time period... Although, I was at a public Roman event in March and some older guy was giving me crap "I bet you don't have proper underwear..." I reached down and started sliding my tunica up my leg like I was going to pull it up... He grunted and walked off quickly. Bad me.
Marsh Wise

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2019, 01:51:55 PM »
You go, Marsh! Your response to the Underwear Police was right on. How does the old saw go? "Everyone's gotta have someone to look down on..." Sadly, it holds true in our hobby as well as life in general. As long as someone is trying..give 'em a hand and help them improve...
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan