Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: spy glass and/or telescope  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Sean

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 01:18:32 AM »
Thanks, David.  I've been thinking about that 16" glass.  Seems like it'd be a good thing for mulies and antelope.  

Sean

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 01:37:41 AM »
My Glass is nowhere near as nice as David's....Take everything he said about sharpness, and add hard to really "fine tune"  to get a clear picture, then multiply that by 3 and you will get an idea of what the one I own is like....

It's made by Taso and cost about $45 so ya can't expect a whole lot.....albeit, it has worked just fine the few times I've actually had the time, and opportunity, to use it when hunting.

BTW: These are some really old pictures....my first digital camera six or eight years ago.

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 02:17:52 PM »
I believe I got mine from Sportsmans Guide. It's not full brass, but on the other hand it is a 25x power and those little brass ones are only about 5 or 8x.

It looks just like the one above with the leather sheath around the outside of the externalmost slide section.

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 10:33:40 AM »
Mine is similar to that little one from Stanley, but not exactly the same. For 38 bucks, I may upgrade! Those larger ones are still pretty compact when "folded," but consider weight too. As to optical quality, I agree--the cheaper ones are pretty PC-poor.

My seachest 'scope is the 18-incher. You might want to note that the larger ones have a sunshade built-in. That's handy on these things. I noted that if you spring for the huge one you can get it with "patina." Too bad that's not an option on their other ones.

Anyone know when binoculars came along? The Stanley brass/leather in-line prism ones look like they just might be a bit better for modern eyes. But PC?

I still like my little one for size/weight though.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Sean

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2009, 08:51:29 PM »
Kermit,

I'm sure they were around earlier in places like Europe, but the earliest that I've seen records of binos in the West is the Indian War era.

If I'm not mistaken some of those bigger Stanley spy glasses actually display images upside down like the original glasses.  I've not used one and would like to hear from someone who has.

Sean

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 01:23:34 PM »
Here's a little bag-sized scope from Godwins:

http://www.gggodwin.com/CartGenie/prod-290.htm
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393