Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Upolstery Leather  (Read 787 times)

Offline Old Salt

• TMA Forum Member
Upolstery Leather
« on: July 08, 2009, 08:36:21 AM »
I aquired some white upolstery leather from a couch left on the side of the road.  It should be good for making bags, sheaths, etc.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for dyeing upolstery leather?
Traditional American Craftsman

Offline Stryker

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 09:08:16 AM »
Can it be done, it's possible. I've seen it done on occasion. Most of the re-dye jobs I've seen bled and rubbed off on folks clothes when they sat down on the couch. A friend of mine owns a upholstery repair shop and never recommends re-dying leather and even told folks it would be cheaper to replace than re-dye. The reason was the factory finish would have to be removed for the new dye to take. The leather would then have to be sealed to prevent the dye from rubbing off.

That said, since you're not planning on using it for furniture. I would try cleaning it with mineral spirits. Allowing it to dry thoroughly and use a good dye like Fiebings.

Also, if you're using it from sheaths and bags, you might try passing it off as brain tan since it was possible to make brain tan white.
Mark
Lord, Make Me Fast and Accurate

Marine Corps Assoc. - Life Member
Disabled American Veterans - Life Member

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 09:13:53 AM »
Having been a furniture finisher and repairman for the last 45 years, upholstery leather is normally chrome tanned with a top color "dye" applied. You would need to strip this "color" off and try to re-dye with and oil or spirits based dye. A LOT more trouble than it's worth and no guarantee that the color will be even or even take,plus you'll be removing oils and fat liquors that are important to the longevity of the leather.
Our sport puts a lot different demands on leather than household furniture does. Some upholstery leathers will work just fine as long as the color is either a semi-aniline or aniline dye,and what's referred to as uncorrected leather. Primary and secondary colors on leather really doesn't lend itself to our use. It's great to practice on though.
Just my 2 cent's after inflation and discounts
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline Old Salt

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 10:43:07 PM »
I was ready to give up on using this white leather for a bag until I saw the bag Kermit has for sale.  I still might make one.  

My other idea is to make a rifle cover.    

The only other items I've seen in white are bayonet holders used by the Brits or maybe Colonials.  Poor memory.  

I tried dying a small piece and it didn't work out.

Salt
Traditional American Craftsman