Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Nr 11 caps  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Swamppanther

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Active Member
  • TMA Member: TMA #801
Nr 11 caps
« on: July 21, 2023, 10:26:40 AM »
7/21/23    10;00      at       Academy          I just got 4 tins no11 caps  for 11.99    (limit of 4) If any one lookinbg for them! :toast
USMC Life - Siemper Fi
NRA Life

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Nr 11 caps
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2023, 11:35:56 AM »

:hairy   :applaud
NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2023, 10:13:55 PM »
$11.99 per tin, or for all four?

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2023, 10:44:29 PM »
$11.99 per tin, or for all four?

~Kees~

I took a look and the price is for a "100 count" tin... My ol' flintlocks are looking mighty appealing these days, but I can sure understand where the cap shooters are coming from. I also hate to say it / but I expect we'll be seeing flints going the same route in price hike gouging... But, at least you can make your own flints with a bit of practice.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2023, 01:35:55 PM »
It's good to know that with my current rate of shooting, I probably have a lifetime supply of RWS 1075 caps.  Powder also.
Of course, being a member of the long in the tooth club helps, too.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2023, 08:23:58 PM »
Have to admit that I've shot very little of any firearms to this point this year. Mainly it has been the weather... If it's not raining buckets - it's near and/or over 100+ degrees, (and many times both). I simply can't take this humidity like I once did when I was younger... I use to enjoy summer time shooting - but I'm sure looking forward to Fall temperatures now. I expect I'll freeze my butt off come Autumn... Oh well, it is what it is... I guess I'm saving on both caps and flints... Powder as well...

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2023, 07:34:11 PM »
Wow!  Track of the Wolf and Dixie both have them at $2.50 each, limit of 12.  Suzi at The Gunworks has English flints at $3.50 for 1/2" and 5/8", $4.00 for larger sizes.  She also has sawed Arkansas for $2.25.  Not cheap by any means.  I think I need to start looking for chert and try my hand at making my own!
 :yessir:
~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2023, 08:45:05 PM »
Wow!  Track of the Wolf and Dixie both have them at $2.50 each, limit of 12.  Suzi at The Gunworks has English flints at $3.50 for 1/2" and 5/8", $4.00 for larger sizes.  She also has sawed Arkansas for $2.25.  Not cheap by any means.  I think I need to start looking for chert and try my hand at making my own!
 :yessir:
~Kees~

There was a feller by the name of Rich Priece (or something like that) that made Chert Flints (which I did purchase from him, but sadly I believe he has passed on... He was very well known at the American Long Rifle forum / so you may have to check over there to see if anyone continued on with making them?

Chert flints do work, but they can be "iffy" with lesser quality locks. However, I don't recall having any trouble with them when using them in the Siler and L&R Locks... IMHO, the Black English and French Flints will out shine Chert Flints by a long ways / but if it's all you can get at this time - it's probably worth the gamble. How they will perform with the "offshore" Locks, I don't know? Just food for thought Kees... At the price gouging they are charging now for flints - it would be worth wild to try Chert - or ride out the price gouging and shoot Percussion Lock Rifles... Bottom line, they are now (both ignitions) are gouging the public... Time we started to make our own Percussion Caps and Flints... Just my opinion...

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2023, 09:07:27 PM »
Rich is still with us. I wish I had ordered a lot more of his flints than I did. I'm getting pretty low and he doesn't make them any longer. His chert rocks sparked like a house a fire, a little rough on the frizzen though!   
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2023, 09:31:24 PM »
Rich is still with us. I wish I had ordered a lot more of his flints than I did. I'm getting pretty low and he doesn't make them any longer.

Hank, I'm sure glad to hear he's still on this side of the grass! I thought I read something the other night (on another Forum) that led me to believe he had moved his Chert Flint making to the great beyond... Sure glad he's still with us.  :toast

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2023, 10:25:00 PM »
Rich is alive and well and living in Vermont. moved there about 4 months ago. His chert rocks sparked like a house a fire, though a bit rough on the frizzen!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2023, 11:41:17 AM »
I still have a couple dozen Rich Pierce flints also.  I emailed him a while back when I saw his name on another site.  He told me he was just too busy to make them anymore, but was happy to hear that they worked well for me.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2024, 02:52:02 PM »
Back to percussion caps!  I have one of those Tap-A-Cap wannabees, using the chemicals for ignition.  There was a post some time ago (maybe on another site, I don't remember) about using toy gun caps.  I saw some at the local Dollar General a while back so yesterday I finally mushed over there to get some.  None were to be found.  I asked the guy behind the counter where they were and he replied that they haven't had any since they remodeled, nor the cap guns either!  Sounds like more woke garbage to me....   :Doh!  ;banghead;

Does anyone have a possible supplier?

Thanks,
~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2024, 12:01:56 AM »
Back to percussion caps!  I have one of those Tap-A-Cap wannabees, using the chemicals for ignition.  There was a post some time ago (maybe on another site, I don't remember) about using toy gun caps.  I saw some at the local Dollar General a while back so yesterday I finally mushed over there to get some.  None were to be found.  I asked the guy behind the counter where they were and he replied that they haven't had any since they remodeled, nor the cap guns either!  Sounds like more woke garbage to me....   :Doh!  ;banghead;

Does anyone have a possible supplier?

Thanks,
~Kees~

They have them on Amazon, bought a bunch for my original cap gun when I gave it to my 5 r old grandson this last summer, taught him bout how a whole roll and a hammer works. caps went quick after that.
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2024, 01:07:26 PM »
I wonder if they still make "Greenie Stick-em caps"?
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend