Craftsmanship > Gun Building and Repair

Jacob Dickert Build Progress

<< < (2/42) > >>

4-Liberty:
I have my first question. I'm starting to second guess myself about my inletting the barrel. I used transfer color to do this but I wasn't certain if I was finished properly inletting the barrel. What is the transfer color supposed to look like on the barrel channel? Is it okay to have bare spots on the channel indicating no barrel-to-channel contact, or am I over-thinking this?

Hank in WV:
You really don't need as much contact as you would think. As long as you don't see any movement between the barrel and the stock when you squeeze them together, it should be fine. Of course you do want full contact along the top edge of the channel so as to not leave any gaps.

Captchee:
you want as much collor transfer on the bottom flat as you can get .  its not uncommon to get a few  open areas , just try and get as much  black as you can .
 go slow  and you will get it .  it wont seem like it as the barrel will go in and out so many times .

4-Liberty:
Thank you, Hank and Captchee! I just might shave it down just a smidgen more to get a little more contact. I do have a good snug fit on the side flats without any gaps; I was sure to not mess that up.

4-Liberty:
Question about the barrel. I have all of the flats draw-filed. So, should I polish the barrel before or after I cut the dovetails for the sights and barrel lugs? Also, what is a good process to polish the flats?
Thanks for the help!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version