Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Schuetzen  (Read 663 times)

Offline ross

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 786
Schuetzen
« on: January 17, 2017, 11:40:35 PM »
I'm Ross, new to the TMA, old hand at ML's. My current challenge is a .38 schuetzen rifle. I've always been a round ball shooter but wanted to try something new. R. Grunkemeyer built the rifle and it also comes with a .40 round ball barrel, which I've no trouble making shoot very well. The .375 groove depth slug barrel is a long and different story. You simply can't beat a .375 bullet down the barrel. Production mold makers also don't make .370 bullets. Paper patching was my next try and after several different sizes a .362 brooks mold showed promise but the false muzzle kept tearing the patches. I had to load paper patched bullets directly into the muzzle to prevent tearing and I now get ok groups with this combo of .362 bullet and 2 wraps of .0017 paper.
I finally stumbled onto a .369 sizing die from NOE and ran some bullets from my .379 mold through it. .010 is a lot to size but it works. Next was powder charges, started at 30 grs. ff Goex and went up to 60 grs. %0 grs worked the best giving one hole groups at 50 yds. So now it's out to 220 yds for my next trip to the range and shoot this rifle at the distance it was made for. I have a .370 mold with a .375 upper driving band coming from Steve Brooks, I have high hopes for this. Any further hints will be appreciated.  Ross

ps. R. Grunkemeyer does very nice work

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Re: Schuetzen
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 06:46:30 PM »
Good read! :lt th
Have to admit you lost me a bit when you said, "Next was powder charges, started at 30 grs. ff Goex and went up to 60 grs. %0 grs worked the best giving one hole groups at 50 yds."

Just wondering which load worked the best....I would make a S.W.A.G. that it was the 60gr. load, but that is pure speculation on my part.
I have run into a couple situations where a comparatively heavy charge turned out to beat "common wisdom", ten to one, hands down.
Not all that often, but it does happen on occasion.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline ross

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 786
Re: Schuetzen
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 09:57:37 PM »
RussB: No it was the 50 grain charge, one ragged hole at 50yds. I'm a lousy typist and the %0 is actually 50 but the caps key got pressed and I didn't proof read. Surprised me too. It's a 290 grn. bullet with a 1-14 twist. My guess is the 50 gr charge gives the optimum rpm's for that bullet. My upcoming mold will cast a heavier and longer bullet as per steve Brooks advice. I bet I have to up the charge for it. The proof will be at 200 yds. When Utah weather improves.
I have another question, will Swiss FFG work any better than Goex? I'm on my 3rd canister of 2ff goex so I have little comparative experience. Thanks