Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Touch holes and pan powder  (Read 854 times)

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Touch holes and pan powder
« on: December 28, 2018, 06:51:58 AM »
In 2008 Larry Pletcher did a series of flintlock testing, one was about the touch hole and pan powder locations with respect to their efficacy.  His results are interesting and should put to bed a number of perpetuated myths.  His data and findings are good to review every so often ....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Conclusions:

These conclusions are those of the experimenter. You may have different opinions.

I wish to point out that every trial produced a report that sounded as one sound. The fastest (.032) and the slowest (.060) sounded the same. Even though one was almost twice as fast as the other, the sounds were indistinguishable. So my first conclusion is that the human eye and ear are terrible tools to use to evaluate flintlock performance. If differences can be determined by human senses, then the trial was indeed very slow.

The idea to bank powder away from the vent to improve flint performance is flawed thinking. In every test I conducted, the banked away trials came in last. Percentages varied, but banking the powder away was always slower. I found no evidence to support the old “bank the prime away from the vent.” (In the low vent test, banking powder away was 17% slower; in the high vent test, banking powder away was 23% slower.)

The idea that one should not cover the vent with priming powder because of having to burn through the vent instead of flashing through seems equally flawed. While I did not try to fill the vent, covering the vent did not cause slower times. The closer I could get priming to the vent, the faster and more consistent the results. In fact the consistency I found in positioning the priming powder close to the vent occurred at all vent positions – low, level, and high.

The last conclusion involves the reason for this whole experiment – proper location for the vent in relationship to the pan. I found that the location of the vent in relation to the pan is far more forgiving that we have believed. Tests when the vent was extremely low or high both gave quick reliable ignition. A look at the chart below shows that all vent positions gave fast ignition when primed close to the vent (This is what we learned in the preliminary tests.) Also all vent positions gave uniformly poor performance when the priming powder was banked away from the vent.

————————–Banked way—————-Level Prime—————-Close prime

Low Vent—————–.046—————————.037—————————-.038

Level Vent —————.043—————————- * —————————–.036

High Vent—————–.048—————————.043—————————-.037

*I did not time level priming when testing the level vent/pan position.

I began this series of test thinking that the big variable would be the vent location. However, I am now concluding that it is of minor concern compared to the location of the priming powder in the pan. I still like a vent level with the pan flat - i won’t loose sleep over a pan a little high or low.

All of the work represented here was based on igniting the powder “artificially” using a red-hot copper wire. This was done intentionally to remove the variables in amount, quality, and location of the sparks. In reality the flint shooter must manage his lock to minimize these variables. Regardless of what the experiments show us, the shooter must place priming powder where his sparks will land. Time with his gun will determine this. However the shooter need not be afraid of priming powder too close to the vent – that is to be encouraged. It is far better to have the prime too close than too far away.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Touch holes and pan powder
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 07:34:47 AM »
Always interesting to read / re'read Larry's findings.

To be quite honest,,, maybe I should be more consistent with my pan priming but I never will be as I prime from my little priming horn that's not fancy with a plunger measure to get the same amount of prime each time.  I just pull the stopper and tap powder into the pan until it looks about right to me.  Sometimes I prime from my main powder horn, by-passing the priming horn all together...

I always try to get a half pan "high" of powder across the pan / just below the vent hole... Doesn't always happen and truth be known there's no real consistency, but my guess is I'm landing within that "High Vent" percentage / and to be quite honest - I can't tell any ignition speed difference unless I have a fouled vent where I didn't bother picking before priming after several shots.

Dog-gone-it,,, now I want to go shoot my flintlock and it's only 12/15 degrees outside right now and windy... It's not gonna be a very nice day when the sun comes up....  :shake     
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: Touch holes and pan powder
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 11:09:54 PM »
At the range I can see where placing the prime could be a concern.  In stomping around in the woods however, unless one consciously cants the gun so the prime charge shifts to one side or the other before taking the shot, I don't think it makes any difference.  I know I don't remember to do this so where the powder ends up in the pan doesn't matter as long as the sparks land in it.  Fffg or Ffffg doesn't seem to matter either as far as reliability in the field goes.

My 2 cents worth, and worth every penny! :lol sign

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025