Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Cleaning jags  (Read 784 times)

Offline No Powder

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
Cleaning jags
« on: December 22, 2023, 11:06:49 PM »
Those of you who have ever bought a new TC flintlock, should have gotten one of these with your rifle. I have one for a 50 cal. and one for a 54 cal. Did they make one of these for a 45 cal? [ Invalid Attachment ]

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: Cleaning jags
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2023, 10:42:39 AM »
I really don't know as I never bought a new .45 cal T/C.  And I never bought a new T/C flintlock, of any caliber.
But logic says they must have, as the Hawken was made in .45, and also the Seneca and the Patriot as well.  So, they probably made one for .36 caliber.
I honestly don't remember when I got rid of the one that came with my Renegade in the 1970's.  Probably when I attended my first rendezvous and bought one made by Treso.  Sorry to say, they are no longer in business, but it looks like Track of the Wolf is trying to fill that void.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline No Powder

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2023, 12:03:11 PM »
This is what TC is showing in their 2007, Catalog #34. Looks nothing at all like my TC cleaning  jags, and says they were only available for 50,  54, and 56 cal.
I know I  ask a lot of questions about TC's, and I hope that's alright. They were the thing when I got into this pastime, and have always had success and fun with them. And I'm hoping I will continue doing that for a few years. [ Invalid Attachment ]

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2023, 01:47:34 PM »
I think when T/C had their big fire in what? 1998, it was the beginning of the end for them.  I think that was about the time when the bean counters took charge and decided that it was not a good  business decision to keep the low selling items in the lineup.  So, goodbye to the .36 and the .45 caliber firearms.  And of course, with those gone, there would be no need to keep the accessories for those calibers in stock, either.  I might be wrong about the above, but that is how I believe the T/C rep explained it to me.  Please correct me if that is wrong.
So, jags, ball pullers and various other accessories.  T/C did not make any of that, they sub-contracted with other companies to produce them.  That could explain why the design varied over time.  Company A makes the jags for a while, then Company B comes in with a better price with a different design.  Presto, all of a sudden the design changes and another company is making them for T/C.  It's all about nickels and dimes.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline No Powder

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2023, 05:47:16 PM »
That sounds like a very logical explanation. Thanks for your input John, I appreciate it. :hairy