Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: p.c.sling methods  (Read 622 times)

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
p.c.sling methods
« on: November 05, 2010, 03:09:31 PM »
I know that many men of any race probably made due with a heavy cord tied around the stock because after all if you carry a rifle long enough in the wooods,mountains,plains even on horseback you come to the conclusion that a sling is a neccesity not a luxury.Especially if climbing mountains,trees down cliffs etc.Things that Native Americans,Bush Rangers,continental Militiamen even the Kings men and French Couers De Bois must have had to do frequently But  the more imaginative warriors and soldiers ,the ones who took great pride in thier clothing and equiptment-the ones who really wanted it to work and look good,they must have had some recorded ways and methods of slinging rifles across thier backs securely. Military methods are well documented however what were some other  historically correct waysof accomplishing this task?Any Ideas would be great other than the cheap split leatherrigs commonly sold.
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 01:57:30 PM »
First off most all (and I use all with a grain of salt) long arms were built with sling swivels.  

As for civilian guns what ever you can imagine for attaching a sling was most likely done.  (I say this also with a grain of salt since those who care about these things will require you to find three first hand examples of what ever method you choose to employ and a gun in a museum is not an acceptable source since there is no way to know when the sling was attached, it could be modern)

The most common methods I've seen employed are to attache the muzzle end of the sling by a loop around either the barrel or the ram rod (attaching to the ram rod is I think a modern method that works only because we use range rods rather than the rammer under the barrel.)  You could also add a sling swivel for this attachment but it would be an undocumented modification of the weapon you are shooting.

As for attaching a sling to the but can be accomplished by installing a sling swivel or button, putting a boot on the but and attaching to that, or using a loop and attaching to the trigger guard or around the wrist.

Personally I think that attaching a sling to a non military weapon is is pretty much a matter of your sense of style and functionality.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 02:23:15 PM »
Yeah I was thinking of some Indian or mountain  man methods,Maybe examples in pictures of nicely beaded slings or straps my intuition tells me they must have done this though I have not seen one,However,the vast majority of uninformed people also have no Idea of the amount and types of equiptment and goods including dishes,blankets ,tools,clothing,storage containers etc. that were used and made by indians and others living out away from settlements and on thier own.one example is that most people have the Idea that indians rode always barebackwhen in reality they had thier own styles of bridles and saddles they used and made this is knowledge that has been lost in the rush to destroy a culture and make it dissappear comepletly.e
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline Capt. Jas.

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.longrifle.ws/artisans/artisan.asp?ID=1583&membersonly=yes
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 02:53:50 PM »
Many Germanic and other Euro civilian longarms had sling attachments like the sling swivel and stock button or thru the trigger guard link on military pieces. You see many TG's with thru holes on American made guns but no evidence of them being used with them. I am certain there are many quick fix slings that have been used thru the years but cannot point you to a historical source of an example off the top of my head.

Here is a period (1740) Germanic, civilian use of a sling on Mike's website.
http://www.fowlingguns.com/