Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Patch box!  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
Patch box!
« on: September 06, 2017, 10:10:22 PM »
The very item I've been looking for! Thin with a snap top lid and holds patches inside the pouch with no bulk! Overall thickness about the diameter of a 12 guage shotshell.

Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

:toast :bl th up
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Patch box!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 01:05:21 AM »
Nice! I have used Altoids tins to hold lubed wads for my smoothbore, and old cap tins to hold round pre-cut patches. A little time in the fire pit (or a visit from Mr. Blowtorch) takes care of all the exterior paint and advertising. :bl th up
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 05:06:59 AM »
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 05:08:42 AM by PetahW »
NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 09:00:56 AM »
Here is a good place to buy inexpensive hinged metal tins.  :hairy
http://www.specialtybottle.com/metal-tin-containers/hinged
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 12:20:32 PM »
I keep my precut shooting patches in the same thin leather bag I use for roundball. So when I fill the bag with roundball I make sure there are enough patches in there for the number of balls I have. Sometimes I pre-lube the patches but often I will leave them dry so I can choose to lube them with grease or spit depending on what I am shooting. This takes up virtually no extra room in my shooting bag.

K
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 12:23:04 PM by AxelP »

Offline Mike in Oz

• TMA Forum Member
  • New BP shooter, only been doing this since 2015.
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 11:52:40 PM »
I use long strips of pre treated cotton (Dutch Shultz's method) and keep them rolled up in those clear yellow/brown pill bottles, but i'd like to find a more "historic"method.

Any ideas?

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 01:35:00 PM »
I use long strips of pre treated cotton (Dutch Shultz's method) and keep them rolled up in those clear yellow/brown pill bottles, but i'd like to find a more "historic"method.

Any ideas?

I keep a few more patches in than what's needed for the number of PRB inside so as to keep the PRB from rattling around!

Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 06:51:39 PM »
Altoids tins, either chemically stripped of decoration or just tossed into your BBQ 1x or 2x, work very well too.  Can't take credit for it though as I got the idea from Stumpkiller* on the Traditional ML Forum.

*the originator of "Stumpy's Moose Snot" & "Stumpy's Moose Juice" patch lubes

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 08:01:18 PM »
I'm a patched ball block guy myself,,, dry patch and ball in my loading blocks. However, I do keep a small #11 cap tin in my shooting bag with TC 1000+ patch lube in it just in case my load will be in the bore for an extended period of time such as when out hunting. Otherwise just for target shooting or at shooting matches I just spit patch.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 08:15:21 PM »
Altoids tins, either chemically stripped of decoration or just tossed into your BBQ 1x or 2x, work very well too.  Can't take credit for it though as I got the idea from Stumpkiller* on the Traditional ML Forum.

*the originator of "Stumpy's Moose Snot" & "Stumpy's Moose Juice" patch lubes

See second post in this thread.  :bl th up :lol sign
Molon labe

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 09:32:30 AM »
Missed that one, amm1851, which may explain my poor results in the 2017 Silhouette Match! :Doh!  OTOH, great minds are said to think alike! :lol sign

Online Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 03:34:28 PM »
I have a similar "defarbed" tin but I use it for carrying lube.  For lubed patches I use either #11 percussion cap tins or a couple of musket cap tins depending on the gun and patch size.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 04:09:47 PM »
I have a similar "defarbed" tin but I use it for carrying lube.  For lubed patches I use either #11 percussion cap tins or a couple of musket cap tins depending on the gun and patch size.

Couldn't agree more on the percussion cap tins, Hanshi ...many of us old timers have long realized the value of such a neat little tin, same thing with the Musket Cap Tins, you can pack all kinds of little bitty  "seldom if ever used junk" into one of these puppies. (But you do have the satisfaction of knowing it's there if it's ever needed.)

Like many others, I have always been of the mindset, that the fewer things we have to carry in our shooting bag, the better.
And that begs the question....just how much is too much, and where is that perfect medium????

How "often" is something used, and actually needed may be a better question when putting the contents of our bag together.
The lighter in weight the bag the better, is a great rule, but where does that start and end?

I am nowhere to even close on being sure what the old timers of the 1800's loaded down their shooting bag with.
My own reading of such things varies from story to story with the one constant, flint, striker, and punk box....which would take up just about as much room as a Musket Cap tin.
I have never read this, but my own thinking tends to lean toward the Shooting Bag, during the 1800's, was more of a Survival Kit than an actual Shooting Bag as we use the term today.

I suspect we should ask ourselves if our shooting bag is a Tool Box, or a Shooting Accessory.

AMM1851 may have some thoughts on this, as well as Winter Hawk, 

Just thinkin out loud....

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 06:09:27 PM »
Missed that one, amm1851, which may explain my poor results in the 2017 Silhouette Match! :Doh!  OTOH, great minds are said to think alike! :lol sign

:hairy
Molon labe

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 09:45:13 PM »
My own reading of such things varies from story to story with the one constant, flint, striker, and punk box....which would take up just about as much room as a Musket Cap tin.
From Uncle Russ

The above would make a great thread for discussion on bags.

I've got a small leather belt bag strictly for char cloth, flint & steel.  I think this is one survival tool you absolutely have to have.  Now I'm just throwing this out there, but I'm of the opinion there were two different types of bags carried by the Longhunter's & Trappers;

1. Shooting Bag [Hunting / trapping Bag] (everything you need to load that smokepole along with everything you may need to dip into the shooting bag to keep that smokepole in operation).

2.  Possibles Bag (Char cloth, flint & steel [either here, in a pouch on your belt,or in your shooting bag], needle and thread, any cleaning or gun oils you may use such as Sperm Whale Oil, extra flints or caps or both, lead bar strips and your little melting/pouring ladle for running ball. Perhaps a sharpening stone, TOW, Patch Material, perhaps some spare leather for repairing you moccasins at night.

I'm sure there's a lot more that can be touched on for a "Possibles Bag" and I just see no way around not carrying one, without the other [Shooting Bag [Hunting / trapping Bag]...

:shake 
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska