Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Belt Bag  (Read 1561 times)

Spotted Bull

Belt Bag
« on: April 04, 2020, 01:31:04 PM »
Here is one I just finished up. Veg tan 3 oz sewn with waxed linen. 7" x 5", with the welt as a divider. Belt loop will take a 3" belt I believe.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Belt Bag
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 05:17:26 PM »
Good lookin' bag!  :hairy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 08:58:30 PM »

Looks skookum to me ! !  :applaud

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 02:23:13 PM »
Very nice!  :toast

When you say the welt is the divider, could you elaborate?  I added a divider to my old purse/shooting bag (I call it the one, my wife calls it the other :laffing) by lacing it between the front panel and the (come on brain, what's the term?) gore (?).  Well, gore is not the term but dang if I can remember what it should be!  Is that what you did?

~Kees~

[ Invalid Attachment ]
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 07:25:43 PM »

I added a divider to my old purse/shooting bag (I call it the one, my wife calls it the other :laffing) by lacing it between the front panel and the (come on brain, what's the term?) gore (?). 

Well, gore is not the term but dang if I can remember what it should be!

Gusset  :Doh!   :bigsmile:

USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 09:20:01 PM »
Nice belt bag Spotted Bull  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Spotted Bull

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 09:25:00 PM »
The welt is a strip of leather that is sewn between two layers of leather that provides protection from for the stitches. If you look at bags that have fringe on them, that hangs between the front and the back of the bag, that is considered the welt.

In this case, instead of just having a strip of leather, I used a piece that is the same shape as the bag, that in effect divides the bag into two sections.

Hope that is clearer than mud.

Offline Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 10:10:33 AM »
Bags 101

The WELT would be as Bull described it, a piece of leather that is laid flat around the sewn circumference of the bag.  It provides protection to the SEAM, especially important when constructing a knife sheath.

Now this has absolutely nothing to do with muzzleloading, but I recall about 50 years ago when I was building my '39 Chevy hot rod, part of the upholstering I had done on it was having new WELTING made to put between the fenders and the body of the car.

The GUSSET is a piece of leather added between the front and the back of the pouch.  It can be any width you want, depending on how deep you want the bag.  When we had October Country, we generally used an 1 1/4" wide gusset for our smaller bags and a 2" wide gusset for our larger bags.  Seemed to work pretty good that way.  Of course, there were variations, the 01-401 Freestyle Bag was a large bag but used the smaller gusset.  And so it goes.

John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Spotted Bull

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 10:15:19 AM »
John I made a bag for a friend awhile back and he requested a 3" wide gusset. Well after he had it stuffed full of "stuff" for about a year he came and asked me what I could do to make it hang upright. The width made it tip forward and nearly spill out. So I had to actually move the straps to either end and sew them to the gusset. Problem fixed.
I told him if he would carry less stuff it would be easier. He looked at me like I was crazy!

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 01:05:36 PM »

I told him if he would carry less stuff it would be easier. He looked at me like I was crazy!

Yeah - I'm not a minimalist, myself ..................   :bigsmile:

USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 01:06:11 PM »

Yeah - I'm not much of a minimalist, myself ..................   :bigsmile:

USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 07:16:32 PM »
Gusset  :Doh!   :bigsmile:

:Doh! Of course!  Senior moments seem to be coming fast & furious these days!  :laughing  Hey, I got that it begins with a "g", don't I get points for that?

I have always thought of the welt as being between the two layers of leather, like on a knife sheath to protect the stitching from the sharp edge of the blade.  What I'm hearing (correct me if I'm wrong) is that, if I had put the divider on my bag between the gusset and the front of the bag, it would have been a welt.  The way I made it, the gusset is the welt between the divider and the front.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025