Craftsmanship > Hawks and Knives

A Gift Comes Back

(1/3) > >>

Bigsmoke:
Maybe around the year 2000, I decided to make this knife.  From visits to see my mom, I had noticed that her kitchen knifes were not what I considered serviceable, so I decided to do something about it.
It has been my opinion for many a year that the best all around kitchen knives come from Russel Green River.  I like the steel, I like the designs and I also like the price of them.  Pretty inexpensive.  So, in my normal stocking order for them, I included enough blades to do some personal knifemaking.  I have always liked this design knife and think it is a great all-around design.  Big enough to do the job, but not so big to be unwieldy.
Since I first saw the scale material, I have been captivated with it.  It is a pressure impregnated rosewood.  Depending on how much of a polish one puts on it, the finish can be very, very deep.
So, I epoxy on the scales and then secure them with brass cutler rivets, cut the scales to size and finish them, have one of the girls at the shop fashion a simple leather sheath to ship it in, and send it off to my mom - Merry Christmas.  Although she did send me a thank you note, in the intervening years I never saw her use the knife.  And I did not have a clue whatever happened to it.
So, fast forward to last August after she passed away.  Ms. Smoke and I were at her condo, getting it ready to sell, and in one kitchen drawer, I found it.  To the best I can tell, it had never been used.  Well, I grabbed ahold of that, PDQ.  And it has been on my desk ever since we got back.  I have every intention of attaching a sheath for it on my new shooting bag, but I am getting more use out of it as a desk knife right now.
Well, Mom, I hope you liked it and I hope you approve of what I am doing with it now.  It'll be a keeper, that's for sure.

And now, a few photos of it:

From the top:

And the other side view:

BEAVERMAN:
John, you won't like that on your bag, better send it to me! :toast

Bigsmoke:

--- Quote from: BEAVERMAN on September 30, 2020, 06:19:44 PM ---John, you won't like that on your bag, better send it to me! :toast

--- End quote ---

OK,  :bigsmile:  And if you believe that, let's talk about some ocean side property in Nebraska that I have for sale.  You'll just love it.

PetahW:

I like that GR Ripper pattern blade for making a boot knife !  :applaud

I'm thinkin, white bone scales, maybe with a little scrimshaw - Hmmmmmmmm  8)

Oldetexian:
 :hairy Beautiful...every aspect of this blade just seems right...would definitely be proud to carry it. Nicely done, sir...and nice memories attached to it as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version