Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > General Interest

Shotcups in a fowler??

(1/3) > >>

mark davidson:
I got a fowler coming soon. Can I use shotcups to hold the shot?  I mean, do I just get some proper guage shotcups like I use for shotgun shell reloading and put the shot in them and drop them in on top of a felt over powder wad and top it all off with a shot card to hold it all down??  Is that how it is done??  I have read here about how to do it without shot cups. Some say the shotcups will melt and ruin or mess up my barrel. Others seem to think the shotcup is a good way to get good patterns.  I need some info and some education here before my toy arrives.  Help please??  How do I load a fowler????

R.M.:
I think you should stick to the old ways. Don't put plastic in your barrel. It makes a mess.

Two Steps:
Mark...Remember that this is from someone with no great amount of smoothie/shot experience   :(
I'm sure one of the real shooters will happen by in a short while, and we can both learn from them...
Al

Riley/MN:

--- Quote from: "Two Steps" ---The modern cup is made to fit inside of the shell, not to be close to bore size.
--- End quote ---

I have to take exception Al. The inside of the shell IS the bore size... The shell won't fit in the bore, but the cup/wad/whatever- guts-is-in-yore-shell does fit the bore.

Now all that being sed-I wouldn't (& don't) use plastic in the bore. I tried the two-part things that CVA marketed, but won't try plastic agin...   :shake

Gordon H.Kemp:
There is a co. that will supply you with the proper size cup to fit your fowler ,"but" i can't remember the name.As was said you can roll your qwn from paper. If you are going to use other yhan lead shot (for waterfowl) the shot cup will help protect the bore from the harder alloy steel shot. If you use a commercial shot cup (plastic) you'll only need an over powder wad as the cup has a built in cushion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version