Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > General Interest

Mailing a caplock

(1/5) > >>

Indiana:
Hi guys

Are there any special things I have to do to mail a caplock muzzleloader or can I just ship it regular USPS?  One of my high school teachers gave me an old .45 TC Hawken capper because he broke the stock on it back in the 80's and never got it fixed.  Well I call up TC and they are going to replace the stock for free, all I need to do is mail it to them.  

So what do you guys do when you mail a gun?

Thanks,
Indy

Bruce Bogart:
Make sure it's not loaded, pack it well to protect it, label it as machined parts, insure it, and UPS it! Thats my thought. Others may differ!
Bruce

Uncle Russ:
Just take it to the Post Office.
You don't have to declare it, or anything like that, but they will ask you the routine questions of; Does the package contain anything prohibited? Anything Flammable? etc, etc,

You may end up with a case of "Sticker Shock" once they tell you the cost, but that is mostly due to the length. ($40+ is about what you're looking at.)
I insure everything I ship USPS, and although many feel it is not necessary, I have had toooo much go south on me over the years.

Insurance is important IMHO, and for the price, $4.60 on a $250 item, it is well worth it.....Ohio Joe and myself went through this last year, and although it is something of a hassle, it is well worth the money.

Maybe Joe will see this and chime in.........

Hope this helps a little bit.

Uncle Russ...

jbullard1:
Indy
Be sure you put extra padding on the hammer area that can protrude through the package
I think the USPS used 600# gorillas as package handlers

Gordon H.Kemp:
I would also encourage putting enough insurance to cover loss or breakage. Sooner or later UPS, USPS and Fed=x will get you. I had never had a problem with UPS untill last year.They managed to drop the pakage off at the wrong house and we never could get those people to give it back. (a whole long and sordid story). about 4 years ago I traded for a Navy Arms double 12 ga. SxS in excellant condition. It was well secured and pakaged. Fed-X managed to drop a round shaft end wise on the pakage and splintered the stock.. And not to be left out the USPS managed to lose 2 pakages of books and papers. SOoooo put lots of insuranceon it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version