Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > General Interest

Heavy load data for .62 PRB?

(1/3) > >>

mark davidson:
Curiosity is killing me. Ya'll know I am in the very early stages of a new .62 cal. rifle project. I am interested in some heavy charge load data for a .62 cal. PRB rifle, probably in percussion but it could end up in flint. I have read by very respected individuals of healthy charges in the 200 grain (2F) range and above. I do not have a black powder loading manual yet. Do any of you have some load data you are willing to share for upper end .62 cal. PRB?  Barrel length will likely be either 36" or 38".  Please share some loads in .62 that you have experience with that are pretty accurate and also pretty hot.  Thanks in advance.

Bigsmoke:
Mark,
I have been playing with the big bores for about 12 years now.  Here is what I have found.
All of my rifles have had a slow rate of twist, 1:104, except for one with a Rayl barrel that had 1:99, IIFC.  That didn't seem to make much difference.
On my current .62 with a 32" barrel, I target shoot with 135 grains of Ffg.  Out to 50 yards, it pretty much clover leafs.  I am sure someone with better eyes could maintain that further out.  Not me, anymore.
I have run it up to 200 grains to shoot at distant silhouettes.  They go clang, so it must be OK.  I do fall short when shooting at the 400 yard clanger at the rifle range, however.
A while back, I did some chronograph testing with it, and using GOEX Cartridge grade powder, 200 grains gave me 1,994 fps.  Pyrodex Select upped it to about 2004 fps.

mark davidson:
Bigsmoke,  Thanks for the info. I wonder how much the velocity would change with your charges if the barrel were 36" or 38".  Either way, 2000fps. with a .62 rb is very respectable and ought to pack the punch I am looking for. Have you shot the 200 grain powder charge load off a solid rest (bench) at 100 yards to see just what accuracy it is capable of under ideal conditions?  Also, do you know what the "maximum" 2F safe charge is for .62 cal.?

woodman:
Mark
 Barrel length changes in velocity are so small as to be almost negligable. About a pound per inch of barrel.
  Back years ago in Muzzleblast magazine they did tests on different barrel lengths on trade guns and that was the results.
 Woodman

Bigsmoke:
Mark,
My barrel is 1 1/8 tapered to 1".  200 grains is about as much as I want to go or feel I should.
I have shot a few rounds off the bench with those charges, but it is more pleasant with a standing position.  I guess a standing rest could be fashioned, but I just don't care enough to go to the trouble.  
Like I said before, 100 yard shooting takes better eyes than currently reside in my head.  And they sure don't seem to be getting any better as the years go by.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version