Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > General Interest

Little help for Casters, especially those just getting started.

(1/5) > >>

Uncle Russ:
Over the years I have had several requests for a Manual / Instruction sheet for Lee Casting Pots / Smelters.
I got such a request last week and for the life of me I can't find those Instructions.

It is not unusual at all for anyone to stumble across a great deal on a nice Casting Pot at Garage Sales, or Flea-Markets, or a friend that decided due to the lack of time he no longer wishes to do this, but normally it comes as a bare pot....No box, no Instructions, no nothing except a good deal on a great little Casting Pot....of course there's better pots, pots with more accurate temperature controls, and fancy bases that accommodate anything you slide under them, but you do pay for all those little niceties, so much so that a beginner may have to pass.

For those in the situation where you want to cast as cheaply as possible, while adding a whole new dimension to your shooting game, you simply can not beat the lowly Lee Casting Pot.
And for those who recently got that "deal of a lifetime" at a local Yard Sale, but it lacked all the paper work, I think you may find the following very helpful.

https://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/EL3469.pdf

Uncle Russ...

rollingb:
Russ,.... I have 2 of those LEE pots, 1 is a bottom pour and the other isn't, and they both work great.  :hairy
Can't say as I still have the instructions for'em, so thanks.  :hairy :shake

Ohio Joe:
I have one as well!  :hairy

Winter Hawk:
Mine's a Lyman I bought around 1969.  It doesn't plug in.  ;D  I fire up the little kerosene camp stove and set it on there.  I've used the gas cook stove also, with doors and windows open.  I've never tried it over a wood fire, should I guess, one of these days.  In fact, I have a nice little "Pocket Stove" which folds open and you burn twigs, etc. in it to cook on.  That may be just the ticket for melting lead.  Hmmm, another experiment is on the horizon....

-Kees-

Bigsmoke:
I was going through my war chest yesterday afternoon, and I think I found deep down in the basement of it what I think is my old Lyman electric casting pot.  Now, I really didn't have the interest to dig it out and look at it too closely, but if memory serves me right, it might be like I don't know, 15 pound capacity???  It does have a rheostat on it and I am sure it goes up over 800 degrees.  It is not a bottom pour style, strictly ladle pour.
I would guess it has maybe 30 hours on it?  I am thinking I got it in the late 90's, so it's about 20 years old, but has been sitting idle for the last 12 years.  I got it about the time that I got interested in the big bore rifles, and needed something to cast .980 and .820 diameter balls with.
Anyone got an idea on what something like that would be worth?
Thanks,
John
PS  As I recall this was a fairly expensive pot, near to $200 at the time.  Lyman shows one at $53.95 and their 25 pound digital one at $359.95  bottom pour.  I don't think mine is either one of those.  Ideas?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version